By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games Can Beat Depression & Anxiety

Unless it sucks like batman Arkham asylum

Around the Network
vivster said:
Everything that interacts with the human brain can help against depression. Using games to treat psychological conditions is nothing new.

Yeah everything that can personally help an individual relieve stresslevels in some way can be seen as a therapy to beat depression.

Some facts and newsstories keep being covered for many years over and over again like its being rediscovered or its just hard to get some real news these days but off course its good to have a positive view on gaming once in a while for the mainstream informationconsumers.

John2290 said:
They can also cause it very badly, Re7 in VR is an anxiety attack simulator, some of the worst I've gotten were from playing that getting adrenaline overload and the shakes and I've done some pretty adrinaline pumping stuff in real life. Nothing makes you anxious like tricking your mind into think you are in mortal danger from a supernatural, craxy killer with a chainsaw regardless of wheter your conscious mind knows your subconscious still blast you with the required fight or flight chemicals. TLoU also has made me depressed on my second run just from the theme, story and setting and many a long game has left a gaping whole in me that often gets filled with depression in the wrong circumstances,alss,that is with everything in life from games to binging TV shows to loosing a job. Games are great in moderation as most thigns else

I like it that those horror games exist for others to enjoy but i myself do not come close to them as they can easily trigger panic attacks on me, closest i come to a horrorgame is when its RPG style like the souls kind.

And indeed games are great in moderation, people should not expect to fill the void in of everything they miss in life with only games cause the emptiness could feel overpowering when said game is finished.

No, they can't. There's no cure for anxiety or depression, they can't be beaten. The most you can do is try and contain their effects, and playing games is definitely NOT the best way of doing that. By stating that "games can beat depression and anxiety", DYKG is doing a disservice to society, discouraging people from seeking medical help.

Games can help suppress the symptoms, as can anything that stimulates your brain, but they can also enhance them. I myself avoid playing horror games because I'm afraid of having panic attacks, as it has already happened once.

B O I