By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games Can Beat Depression & Anxiety

CaptainExplosion said:
m0ney said:

Games also cure acne and hemorrhoids

You're mocking the people who deal with depression and anxiety through games, aren't you?

No, all the power to them, but I didn't watch the video, but I have anxiety myself and this statement that games help to deal with it is very silly to me, because most people still have to go to work and do other things that count out gaming, they have what max 4 hours per day for games? I know a few other things that cure anxiety, for example weed and death.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Wow. Way to glorify suicide.

That reminded me of this story: https://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/25/us/brain-wound-eliminates-man-s-mental-illness.html

For those who don't want to read, the short version - a 19 year old guy had really bad, disabling OCD, he had to quit school and job because of it, and his mother told him to shoot himself, which he did, but the bullet disabled the part of the brain that caused his OCD and now he lives happily ever after.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

CaptainExplosion said:

You seriously glorified suicide again? What's wrong with you?

I'm just a mere good samaritan.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

That's the thing here, games CAN help with people's issues with anxiety and depression no question, but different people have different way to cope with such things, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. Saying that it works or doesn't work based on someone's personal experience is worthless, because that's based entirely on conjecture and not actual hard date from studies looking at this issue. It probably does work, but also probably not for everyone.

Simply put, you can't give a blanket statement that it works or doesn't work, because it's likely going to be different for everyone who is dealing with these issues who also play video games.

Yeah tell me about it

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
m0ney said:

I'm just a mere good samaritan.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

What else could I be. By the way it's a line from a great dark comedy Burn After Reading (2008).

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

CaptainExplosion said:
TheGamer_1995 said:
Yeah tell me about it

About what?

About how Games can help coping with depression and anxiety 

JWeinCom said:
As someone who has struggled with depressions and played a lot of games, I wonder if gaming has overall been a help or a hindrance. I know that's not exactly the focus of the video, but it's something I've wondered for a while.

I appreciate that. I'm prone to depression, and suffered some really bad lows in 2016. Gaming has helped stabilize me, but, like you, I wonder how much of it is a cure and how much an opiate.

Hope things are looking up for you :)

It can also create depression think everyone had those days but Minecraft with friends always felt good after a long day.

contestgamer said:
Yeah I knew a hardcore gamer that killed themselves, so no it doesnt beat anything. This is pseudo science junk and dangerous for those with real depression.

Not every person is the same and not everyone handles problems the same.  I speak from experience because I went through a rock bottom period that would have broken a lot of people in one way or another.  Gaming helped me through that, and had it not been for gaming in that period of my life, I would either still be a bum hating life, ended up in jail, or dead.  I used to look at myself in the mirror and tell myself that I hated myself and wondered if it even mattered I was gone.  I made some bad choices, and by the grace of god I was able to come back from that darkness.  There was a period before I found my way back however that I was just plain lost.  Gaming was whay helped me hold on to the sanity I still had left.

I am sorry about what happened to your friend, but the unfortunate circumstances of one person does not prove anything correct or incorrect to the masses.

Last edited by Shiken - on 17 August 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261