By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51

The sales numbers would be ok if there wouldn't have been such a huge hype for VR few years ago.

Many people on the Internet in forums, tech magazines, Youtubers and so on. They did a lot to tell people that VR is the thing you need to own and some years later you realize that even many hardcore fans didn't buy it. Those who spend thousands for gaming every generation.

And since you can/could try it out in many stores, I'm sure many have tried it out already.

I think VR is a great technology and hope next generation will still support it with even better headsets but right now it seems that not too many people think that VR is more than just something to have fun with for a few hours and be done with it then.

Around the Network
trixiemafia86 said:
DonFerrari said:

Well if you can, go to a Sony store and try RE7, Driveclub VR, Rush of Blood or Batman VR. They are quite good games for first outings...

Hope you enjoy your time with it or the PC versions.

Will walk-in next time I see a Sony store. Need to see the differences btw Gear VR and PSVR. 

I guess the difference from Gear VR will be gigantic. But still Oculus and Vive are better than PSVR but not on similar scale difference.

What kind of game do you like for people to hint the best experiences they had on the gente?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
potato_hamster said:

Gear VR is regularly given away for free with Samsung Galaxy phones. There are dozens of unopened Gear VR headsets for sale on craigslist in my city at any one time. It's hard to see Gear VR numbers as relevant.

Anybody has an idea how many Steam accounts there are (found it, it's 125M accounts, with 67M being active monthly)? According to the monthly survey, around 0.65% of accounts have a kind of VR (down from 0.70 the month before), which would mean about 800k only on PC

After all that hype less than 4M across Consoles and PC doesn't seem good, but at least PSVR does much better then Vive/Rift and the other ones.

So it seems PSVR alone have over 3:1 over all competitors together, seems like a PS2 level of domination... but PSVR is doing okayish to bad numbers.

Conina said:
OTBWY said:

Just taking a quick glance at this list. The great majority of these are first person type games. Thanks for proving my point. Let me present you with a question, do you feel that VR will be the next step in gaming, or just an added feature to existing games?

Of course most of them are in a first person perspective... that's the usual perspective in the real world, too.. duh!

You are in the real or virtual world and can look around in every direction.

But all these games are in different genres with different playstyles. I also forgot to mention pinball games (f.e. Pinball FX2 VR), another genre which works great in VR.

Not sure how it would be better to play outside of 1st person view, unless we think about a "god perspective"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Anybody has an idea how many Steam accounts there are (found it, it's 125M accounts, with 67M being active monthly)? According to the monthly survey, around 0.65% of accounts have a kind of VR (down from 0.70 the month before), which would mean about 800k only on PC

So it seems PSVR alone have over 3:1 over all competitors together, seems like a PS2 level of domination... but PSVR is doing okayish to bad numbers.

No, the 125M accounts is an ancient number from 2014, Valve didn't share an official update of the total accounts since then. The last estimate of SteamSpy was around 300 million active Steam accounts, so 0.7% of that would be around 2 million PCVR headsets. Perhaps a bit less due to Chinese Internet cafes and more accounts than hardware. Perhaps a bit more due to Rift owners who stay in the (very good) Oculus Store.

My guess is a 2:1 ratio (3M PSVR, 1.5M PCVR)

DonFerrari said:

Conina said:

Of course most of them are in a first person perspective... that's the usual perspective in the real world, too.. duh!

But all these games are in different genres with different playstyles. I also forgot to mention pinball games (f.e. Pinball FX2 VR), another genre which works great in VR.

Not sure how it would be better to play outside of 1st person view, unless we think about a "god perspective"

Different perspectives also work fine (see Moss, Robot Rescue, Astro Bot, Lucky's Tale, Wayward Sky, Hellblade), but in these games you are in the role of the companion or observer... so it is less immersive than being the protagonist yourself.

Last edited by Conina - on 18 August 2018

Not sure surprised - too high an entry price point, less hype than when motion controls came. I used to buy everything, but didn't get the VR

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

nice to see it has reached this number, but seems sony hoped it would do better, maybe the time wasn't right for VR

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
trixiemafia86 said:

Will walk-in next time I see a Sony store. Need to see the differences btw Gear VR and PSVR. 

I guess the difference from Gear VR will be gigantic. But still Oculus and Vive are better than PSVR but not on similar scale difference.

What kind of game do you like for people to hint the best experiences they had on the gente?

I'm interested in any game with good VR implementation. So far, I've enjoyed a wide range of games from shooting basketball to escaping a horror house with a demon clown. lol

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Conina said:
OTBWY said:

Just taking a quick glance at this list. The great majority of these are first person type games. Thanks for proving my point. Let me present you with a question, do you feel that VR will be the next step in gaming, or just an added feature to existing games?

...hence I asked you a follow up question, cause I knew you were going to say that.

Added feature in the first years, the rest depends on acceptance.

Analog sticks and shoulder buttons also were added features in their first years until the usage of them became dominant compared to the usage of digi-pads and thumb buttons (mainly because in many developing genres a good control of the "camera" became very important).

Online multiplayer also was an added feature in its first years until it became more and more important for a lot of gamers.

Conina said:

Analog sticks and shoulder buttons also were added features in their first years until the usage of them became dominant compared to the usage of digi-pads and thumb buttons (mainly because in many developing genres a good control of the "camera" became very important).

Online multiplayer also was an added feature in its first years until it became more and more important for a lot of gamers.

Yeah we are in the early years. It happens with every new product.

Cars - Who needs this monstrosity, my horse and ox have got my family where we needed to go for generations.

TV - Books and Radio offer a deeper expereince. TV leaves nothing to the imagination.

Smartphones - A Phone is for making Phone Calls. We don't need to etc. on a phone. 

You would think people would addapt more quickly as time goes on, but we just rinse and repeat the same slow adoption of new products.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Conina said:

Yeah we are in the early years. It happens with every new product.

Cars - Who needs this monstrosity, my horse and ox have got my family where we needed to go for generations.

TV - Books and Radio offer a deeper expereince. TV leaves nothing to the imagination.

Smartphones - A Phone is for making Phone Calls. We don't need to etc. on a phone. 

You would think people would addapt more quickly as time goes on, but we just rinse and repeat the same slow adoption of new products.

These examples are completely nonsensical. The first cars were smaller than horse-drawn carriages. Secondly, TVs never offered less of an experience than radio or books, ever. Smartphones were an instant hit amongst business people. Research in Motion was one of the biggest electronics companies in the world in the late 90's/early 2000's because they gave people a means of accessing emails anywhere. As soon as texting became a thing, and people realized that smart phones made communication with others extremely easy, they sold themselves.

Meanwhile VR has been "in the early years" for THREE DECADES! How much longer must time go by before VR is no longer "in the early years"? All of your examples saw adaption rates reach astronomical levels as soon as the price came down to make it affordable for the average person. VR is already affordable for the average person.