By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which Top-Selling New Release of 2018 Most Exceeded Retail Sales Expectations in Q1&2?

Which Top-Selling New Release of 2018 Most Exceeded Retail Sales Expectations in Q1&2?

Far Cry 5 49 4.75%

Monster Hunter: World 282 27.33%

God of War 436 42.25%

Dragon Ball FighterZ 45 4.36%

Kirby Star Allies 69 6.69%

EA Sports UFC 3 1 0.10%

Shadow of the Colossus 17 1.65%

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 92 8.91%

Detroit: Become Human 31 3.00%

MLB The Show 18 10 0.97%

Total:1,032

God of War is about in line with what I expected. Monster Hunter surprised me. I knew it would do great, better than any console Monster Hunter, and that it would finally make a name for itself in the west, just based on the buzz surrounding it before release. I did not expect it to crush absolutely every Monster Hunter and even every Capcom game period. This feels pretty objective here. GoW did well, but was expected to. MH blew everyone away with its sales performance. Aside from MH, DKC:Tropical Freeze did better as a port than I expected, but nothing crazy good. Nothing else surprised.

Around the Network

So far Monster Hunter world and GoW. Both are sold insane amounts and are already the best selling in their franchises despite being just months old.

Monster Hunter definitely. I've been with this franchise since PSP and I was biting my fingernails on it's success. I honestly think no one (Roterfan being the exception) expected this kind of success it gained. This game most likely even shocked Capcom themselves. And the crow eating on this game was significant. People thought Freedom Unite was untouchable but here we are.

God of War was obviously going to be crazy successful. I expected really good sells.

Dragon Ball FighterZ was in between for me. After the first trailer and the hype of the franchise coming back to life with Super, the success of this game was predictable however it not being arena based like Tenkaichi was making doubt its success among casual fans.

Monster Hunter World, considering the huge amount of people in certain other site that expected it to flop.

I say none of the above and go with Mario Tennis. I didn't expect it to be selling as well as it has. Especially considering how bad the one on Wii U was.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

God Of War is in the lead? People expected it to bomb or what? MHW is clearly the winner here.

Why the heck does GOW have more votes than Monster Hunter?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Reading the poll made me realize how lackluster this year has been for games. (for me at least)

steve

NobleTeam360 said:
Reading the poll made me realize how lackluster this year has been for games. (for me at least)

Yup there's mostly PS and Nintendo Exclusives there which is why Xbox fans have been very critical of Microsoft lately.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3