By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

Azzanation said:
Azuren said:

Answers who has been asking for? Answers to what? What are you even talking about?

Because closing Rare would be the single most devastating PR move that Microsoft could make. Xbox One is already in such a dog house that it doesn't get exclusives anymore from it's parent company. The level of vitriolic hate they would get for buying an iconic studio, letting them fall into disuse, and then closing that studio would be topped only by E3 2013. Even if they never use them again, Microsoft is better off letting the studio rot than they would be burying it. They've made one game, one collection, and one distraction. The game turned out short and boring, the Collection is all old stuff, and the distraction is a joke Kinect title. They don't make plenty.

You don't get to strawman my argument three times and pretend to know what my logic would call for. You can't point to an outlier (and its pedigree does make it an outlier) and say that's proof enough. 

Not sure last time you checked, this is a buisness, and its about making money. Your anwser is just a personal attack on a company with a response that does not justify your point. You made an entire assumption about your whole reason.

You claim MS closes studios down and i anwsered that Rare is still around, one of the oldest brands going around and there still making games in 2018 with no signs of stopping. MS dont need Rare to make Rare games hence KI.

My point to you is if MS can hold onto Rare, (a company probably not profiting that well under MS) than its possible for any brand especially brands like Obsidian. If its a PR disaster for closing Rare down then same can be said about Obsidian. You anwsered your own question.

Dont use Pedigree as an excuse, Lion Head and Ensemble Studios had pedigree.

Why have Rare after being under MS for over a decade instead of improving and making great games one after another were  "not profiting well"?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Yep he likes to play brands (play on PC which isn't a brand by itself), there have been 4 or 5 threads already that we have been waiting you to show your PS gamertag with all the Sony games you played since you don't care about brand.

Can we get back on topic please?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

DonFerrari said:

Yes we are totally sure Lionhead decided to screw up big time to get closed and that Platinum suddenly became a bad developer so Scalebound was a no go. MS never interferes with creative process nor closes studios that could be improved or be free to make good games.

Can you provide links to your post to prove what you are claiming? If not than its nothing more than an assumption on your part.

Azuren said:

I point out that what I said was factual and you go on a defensive rant that only further cements it. Thanks for saving me the effort of tearing your argument down.

And again: Rare is an outlier. Winning the lottery isn't evidence that everyone who plays the lottery wins.

I agree on one part, i spent more effort in my post than i needed. It seems i need to explain and educate people.

Companies close studios down, its not rocket science, its how the world works. Underpreform or lose too much money than expect a mother company to investigate and make an move. 

Whats being said does not relate to a company buying another company unless you are 100% sure that Obsidian is going to close there doors under MS, without proof than its an assumption.

I proved it doesnt always happen, hence why i brought up Rare. You have no excuse for Rare except (there lucky, its PR Bullsh%#, its the image) nonesense which is not factual but just an assumption on your part.

Weather you like the idea of Obsidian being brought doesnt suprise me. If you have a vendetta agasint MS than maybe someone should write a thread about this behaviour you speak of.

This is all a rumour so lets not take this for granted.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes we are totally sure Lionhead decided to screw up big time to get closed and that Platinum suddenly became a bad developer so Scalebound was a no go. MS never interferes with creative process nor closes studios that could be improved or be free to make good games.

Can you provide links to your post to prove what you are claiming? If not than its nothing more than an assumption on your part.

Azuren said:

I point out that what I said was factual and you go on a defensive rant that only further cements it. Thanks for saving me the effort of tearing your argument down.

And again: Rare is an outlier. Winning the lottery isn't evidence that everyone who plays the lottery wins.

I agree on one part, i spent more effort in my post than i needed. It seems i need to explain and educate people.

Companies close studios down, its not rocket science, its how the world works. Underpreform or lose too much money than expect a mother company to investigate and make an move. 

Whats being said does not relate to a company buying another company unless you are 100% sure that Obsidian is going to close there doors under MS, without proof than its an assumption.

I proved it doesnt always happen, hence why i brought up Rare. You have no excuse for Rare except (there lucky, its PR Bullsh%#, its the image) nonesense which is not factual but just an assumption on your part.

Weather you like the idea of Obsidian being brought doesnt suprise me. If you have a vendetta agasint MS than maybe someone should write a thread about this behaviour you speak of.

Your own posts are the source.

You are the one claiming how all those studios were bad and making consecutive blunders but good MS tried their best to help out until the most humane thing was to close them down. Never MS mistakes, it was the choice of those studios that had worked for decades that suddenly decided to do bad games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Azuren said:

Your desire to educate and explain is misdirected at best if you think you're doing either one here.

Yes, companies close studios down. But we're not talking about the industry, we're talking about a company and why it might be a bad thing when they purchase a studio.

No one said it always happens. Quit strawmanning my argument into something convenient for you to dispute. I said Rare is an outlier, which is me saying in  not so many words that it doesn't always happen.

And I have no issue with Microsoft buying Obsidian, something I've already pointed out in this thread. Quit deliberately strawmanning everything I say into an argument you're capable of debating. If you do it again (and honestly, it's been over five times now- twice in just the last post), I'm going to have to assume you're trolling because nobody accidentally misunderstands a conversation so many times in spite of repeated corrections.

Last edited by Azuren - on 17 August 2018

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Your own posts are the source.

You are the one claiming how all those studios were bad and making consecutive blunders but good MS tried their best to help out until the most humane thing was to close them down. Never MS mistakes, it was the choice of those studios that had worked for decades that suddenly decided to do bad games.

Sounds like your misunderstanding the point like usual. Not sure what Platium has to do when we are talking about MS brands here. You are turning this thread in the wrong direction. Without links to your claims i wont be replying.

Azuren said:

Your desire to educate and explain is misdirected at best if you think you're doing either one here.

Yes, companies close studios down. But we're not talking about the industry, we're talking about a company and why it might be a bad thing when they purchase a studio.

No one said it always happens. Quit strawmanning my argument into something convenient for you to dispute. I said Rare is an outlier, which is me saying in  not so many words that it doesn't always happen.

And I have no issue with Microsoft buying Obsidian, something I've already pointed out in this thread. Quit deliberately strawmanning everything I say into an argument you're capable of debating. If you do it again (and honestly, it's been over five times now- twice in just the last post), I'm going to have to assume you're trolling because nobody accidentally misunderstands a conversation so many times in spite of repeated corrections.

My replies are to everyone that is saying that a company like MS will close Obsidian down because its MS nonsense. Assumptions get us no where.

I am not buying your reasoning behind Rare. MS sold Bungie off, they closed Esemble and Lion Head studios, those brands had massive pedigree and reputation. 

This convo has seen its time. I am calling it. We are going around in circles. 

3 people (myself included) have argued that it would be a bad decision, with others tossing in their voice for disliking the rumored deal. OP has to accept that the deal would not be some "objectively" good deal, especially when you again look at MS's history and dead IP's/Studios.

It would be far better for Obsidian to do things on their own and gain support via crowdfunding, or even via a third party publisher like THQN, a publisher who isn't like EA, Activision, Konami, Ubisoft, MS and others.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Just being on topic:

Do you think this might be a Gamescom announcement?

Like 5 studios at e3 and 1 for gamescom.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

The problem with everyone's statement against the purchase is, now you've made it clear that you think MS should simply never buy up any new developers and become a better first party studio themselves because you think that will be the end for those developers. Clearly Phil Spencer is trying to change MS stigma of, "lack of good first party studios and games." How are they suppose to do that if they don't get at least some quality developers? It seems like it's a lose-lose situation for some of you, which is a bit annoying honestly for those that do want to see MS get better.

smroadkill15 said:
The problem with everyone's statement against the purchase is, now you've made it clear that you think MS should simply never buy up any new developers and become a better first party studio themselves because you think that will be the end for those developers. Clearly Phil Spencer is trying to change MS stigma of, "lack of good first party studios and games." How are they suppose to do that if they don't get at least some quality developers? It seems like it's a lose-lose situation for some of you, which is a bit annoying honestly for those that do want to see MS get better.

Right, so it's "annoying" for you that some of us don't want to see an IP and studio being snatched up and locked down tight to a platform and a crappy storefront, with a completely50/50 chance of dying?, right....

I find it more annoying thart you people that only live and breath MS, cannot think that MS could just I dunno, CREATE their own content, CREATE their own studios. No need at all in any point, past present or future to tell me "MS doesn't do it's own thinking", because it frigging has to in order to actually compete, rather than just literally buying up everyone else's ideas an concepts and spamming them without anything creative to show of their own.

Seriously, I'd be more for the company if they actually decided to pull their weight and go for full on unique studios of their own and unique P's, fully crafted by their own fully crafted studios, because that honestly shows far more effort than simply being a lazy rich kid and throwing money at your problems. No way on earth should we coin it as a rule that the rich kid getting more glory than the kid with honest to god talent and creativity of their own mind. Don't give a crap where you were raised, it's just bullshit to think that way.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"