By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 14 July 2018

Medisti said:
All right, after like two months of being 30k behind PS4 (which isn’t even that much), Switch is ahead for one. Let’s see the downplaying.

More seriously, I wonder if it’ll hold the lead for another week or two before PS4 overtakes it again?

Didn't see any downplaying =p

xMetroid said:
DonFerrari said:

I know, but there were 3 noteworthy titles on the week, so you get the general point.

Well honestly only Octopath i would say. Captain toad is a port and released on 3DS too...

I just think Switch momentum is back up since Fortnite/Smash/Pokemon announcements and early this year we just had no clue what was to come so there was no reason to buy it other than Zelda/Mario/Splatoon.

Switch being stable in japan might make it lead a couple of weeks during summer and i can see Switch leading a lot in Q4. Ps4 will crush everything in september with Spidey and RDR in october if i'm not mistaken.

Well any new game can attract some purchasers so it adds up to Octopath. Also there were a third game mentioned.

From Spider in September and forwards I believe there will be constant big games from regular third party games.

xMetroid said:
raulbalarezo said:
Finally NS wins a week, things are gonna be interesting from now on

Ps4 and Switch will battle out for the rest of the year (like in the past months where it was always relatively close), but i think next year Switch will lead most of the time. Price will drop eventually, new colors/bundle might come out, and we will most likely not have 0 system seller again for a whole 6 months.

Very likely.

0D0 said:
I wouldn't be surprise if NSW wins next week and a few more weeks in Jul/Aug. PS4 line up isn't helping on this summer.

And is Switch lineup better in Jul/Aug?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
0D0 said:
I wouldn't be surprise if NSW wins next week and a few more weeks in Jul/Aug. PS4 line up isn't helping on this summer.

July definately had a better Switch release schedule than the PS4.

August is up for debate but PS4 probably as a better lineup by a slim margin.

Insiders on era definitely hinted at they had a hard time seeing Switch not taking home the July NPD

I'd say Switch has a good chance of winning more weeks in July and a couple in August before September and October hits and PS4 should probably sweep those, holidays will be exciting though!

I think this Switch lead will be short lived, maybe even just this one week, as they don't have a significant system seller for the next 4 months until Let's Go in November. 

curl-6 said:

I think this Switch lead will be short lived, maybe even just this one week, as they don't have a significant system seller for the next 4 months until Let's Go in November. 

Theres been shortages of PS4 stock though in the US... atleast of the PS4pro.
If you follow the NPD prediction tool thread, you ll see in July the Switch leads, and PS4 & XB1 are more or less neck and neck.

I think the Switch wins July NPD.

Mbolibombo said:

July definately had a better Switch release schedule than the PS4.

August is up for debate but PS4 probably as a better lineup by a slim margin.

Insiders on era definitely hinted at they had a hard time seeing Switch not taking home the July NPD

I'd say Switch has a good chance of winning more weeks in July and a couple in August before September and October hits and PS4 should probably sweep those, holidays will be exciting though!

Considering the amount of third parties on PS and Xbox, I find it hard to have 2 or 3 consecutive months of better lineup on Switch (sure can understand anyone thinking Switch have 3 months with better games on his opinion or games they like better). Even more after hearing for 6 months that Switch sold low because it had no game releasing (at least "big games"). We can't really have it both way simultaneously.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

Theres been shortages of PS4 stock though in the US... atleast of the PS4pro.
If you follow the NPD prediction tool thread, you ll see in July the Switch leads, and PS4 & XB1 are more or less neck and neck.

I think the Switch wins July NPD.

I was talking global sales, as in with VGC's next set of numbers of the week ending 21st of July, I expect PS4 to be back on top. As far as NPD goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

finally something different. Now if only NS ca do this for like 8 more weeks then sony will hae to cnsider things like a price drop.

DonFerrari said:
Medisti said:
All right, after like two months of being 30k behind PS4 (which isn’t even that much), Switch is ahead for one. Let’s see the downplaying.

More seriously, I wonder if it’ll hold the lead for another week or two before PS4 overtakes it again?

xMetroid said:

Well honestly only Octopath i would say. Captain toad is a port and released on 3DS too...

I just think Switch momentum is back up since Fortnite/Smash/Pokemon announcements and early this year we just had no clue what was to come so there was no reason to buy it other than Zelda/Mario/Splatoon.

Switch being stable in japan might make it lead a couple of weeks during summer and i can see Switch leading a lot in Q4. Ps4 will crush everything in september with Spidey and RDR in october if i'm not mistaken.

Well any new game can attract some purchasers so it adds up to Octopath. Also there were a third game mentioned.

From Spider in September and forwards I believe there will be constant big games from regular third party games.

xMetroid said:

Ps4 and Switch will battle out for the rest of the year (like in the past months where it was always relatively close), but i think next year Switch will lead most of the time. Price will drop eventually, new colors/bundle might come out, and we will most likely not have 0 system seller again for a whole 6 months.

Very likely.

0D0 said:

Mbolibombo already replied it. It's not only lineup vs lineup. All things considered, NSW has good chances in July/Aug. Besides PS4 is not getting younger.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Intrinsic said:
finally something different. Now if only NS ca do this for like 8 more weeks then sony will hae to cnsider things like a price drop.

I'd love a price cut from November on and it would absolutely improve things, however I don't think they need to be desperate due to PS4's still strong lineup for this year.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
DonFerrari said:

Very likely.

Mbolibombo already replied it. It's not only lineup vs lineup. All things considered, NSW has good chances in July/Aug. Besides PS4 is not getting younger.

I see no issue with thinking switch will win both months. But lineup is what you pointed and for me it didn't see likely.