By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Facebook, Apple, YouTube, and Spotify Remove Alex Jones from their Platforms

Frogs are...

gay 22 62.86%

straight 13 37.14%

Total:35
PwerlvlAmy said:
Free speech only matters when it aligns with your own personal view. That's what its become now basically.

Are you kidding me? Freedom by its very nature has always been that way. One person's freedom will always be another person's breach of their freedom. That's why we have societies trying to walk the balance, where it's of course impossible to please everyone. One could say one political ideology currently is in the majority but that can't really be true considering who's president over there. It's all in the balance and everyone gets always shafted. Freedom isn't one way street and its literally impossible for freedom to benefit everyone.

On the one side we have a president who hates everyone but himself and doesn't care what happens with the world and on the other side we have a lie peddling radio show host who just got canceled by some networks. See, all in the balance.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

good news, fuck Alex Jones and the obvious scams he pushes, especially after all the content creators that YouTube randomly punishes with their bullshit rules. It was about time they got this cancer removed off their platforms.

he'll get over it too with some more bone broth and male vitality pills

Freedom of speech stops when someone incites violence and hatred. Especially towards parents who lost their children in such a brutal way. Fuck Alex Jones, I hope everything of his gets shut down.

vivster said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
Free speech only matters when it aligns with your own personal view. That's what its become now basically.

Are you kidding me? Freedom by its very nature has always been that way. One person's freedom will always be another person's breach of their freedom. That's why we have societies trying to walk the balance, where it's of course impossible to please everyone. One could say one political ideology currently is in the majority but that can't really be true considering who's president over there. It's all in the balance and everyone gets always shafted. Freedom isn't one way street and its literally impossible for freedom to benefit everyone.

On the one side we have a president who hates everyone but himself and doesn't care what happens with the world and on the other side we have a lie peddling radio show host who just got canceled by some networks. See, all in the balance.

Nope, not kidding. My previous post elaborated more in it.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:

The thread alone proves what I said is the truth. Not a blanket statement at all.  I agree with the consensus that Jones is a moron, but people agreeing with him being shut down/silenced/censored because they don't like him or his view points proves exactly what I said earlier. Free speech only applies to people that agree with that persons view point. Evidence has been presented here of exactly that. 

This is not a free speech issue.

Free speech in the United States, as described in the First Amendment means you may not be arrested by the government or have your property confiscated by the government because of what you say.

Private entities like Facebook and Apple are under zero legal or moral obligations to lend their privately owned platforms to people like Jones.  That is their private property. It doesn't belong to you, the government, Jones, or his followers. Nowhere in the First Amendment, or anyplace else in the Constitution, are you given even a single right to have a Facebook account or sell your views on iTunes.

It's the same as if I owned a business and someone took it upon themselves to sit in the middle of my shop wearing a white hood and waving the Confederate flag. Their free speech doesn't apply to my property. If they don't respond to my requests to leave peacefully, I call the police and have them dragged out in handcuffs, and I will press criminal charges for trespassing. Their free speech isn't being violated by my having them arrested and charged. They can go to a park and do that shit.

Jones's free speech has not been silenced. He is not in jail. He has not had his property confiscated. Nobody is stopping him from saying what he wants. They are denying him the use of the property they own and pay for to broadcast his views. He is free to broadcast his views over any other platform he can find, including marching through Austin while wearing a sandwich boaed and screaming about gay frogs and Sandy Hook through a bullhorn. He is also welcome to open his wallet and hire the services of one of the many, many IT professionals in Austin to build a platform where he makes the rules and can broadcast whatever the hell he wants with no restrictions, because he is now broadcasting from his own property. Even at that, though, advertisers are not obligated to pay him for ad space on his show even if it will go broke without their money. The fact that the new platform won't have the same reach as FB or Apple is the problem of Alex Jones and only Alex Jones, not Tim Cook or Zuckerberg.

Having a Facebook account is a privilege, not a right. Selling things on iTunes is a privilege, not a right.

Free speech only guarantees you the right to speak your mind, not a platform.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 07 August 2018

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm still amazed that there are people who do not understand that free speech does not apply to private forums.

The first stop of anyone defending Alex Jones should be to discuss why the things Alex Jones is accused of doing do not deserve the punishment that has been handed out. However, I've yet to see any of his defenders in this thread make a case whatsoever.

Honestly, the guy needs to reclassify as entertainment. It's just mind boggling that anyone takes him seriously. This is the guy that hinted Obama was actually a demon. A DEMON.

When he was going through his divorce, he actually tried to claim in court that he was an entertainer and did not believe what he said.

That argument failed. Along with all the rest of his poor behavior in his marriage, it contributed to him losing big-time in both the divorce and the subsequent custody hearing.

Pemalite said:
Free speech has never entitled you to say whatever you desire without restriction, compromise or consequence anyway.

Personally I believe that anyone who propagates fake news, conspiracy theories and the like should be shut down, regardless of who it is... Left or Right wing. - But... It should also be done in a a more transparent manner, like a tribunal where these outlets can defend themselves with empirical evidence.

Left Wing outlets like "The Young Turks" should also be heavily scrutinized.

No they shouldn't nobody on the left is as crazy as Alex Jones.  The guy is insane snake oil salesman that does nothing more then tell lies, alternate facts and pushes crazy right wing conspiracy theories like pizza gate, frogs being turned gay by water, that Hillary is possessed by demons and other kind of crazy BS.

pokoko said:
I'm still amazed that there are people who do not understand that free speech does not apply to private forums.

The first stop of anyone defending Alex Jones should be to discuss why the things Alex Jones is accused of doing do not deserve the punishment that has been handed out. However, I've yet to see any of his defenders in this thread make a case whatsoever.

Honestly, the guy needs to reclassify as entertainment. It's just mind boggling that anyone takes him seriously. This is the guy that hinted Obama was actually a demon. A DEMON.

Actually free speech also ends on public platforms if certain lines are crossed. Every freedom has to have lines because if there are no restrictions on freedom, there is no freedom.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

What annoys me here is that these things always devolve into a "free speech" debate, as if that was the point. Both sides are correct in a way: Yes, companies have the right to "censor" people on their platforms. But also yes, it's a bad practice. Just imagine a hypothetical scenario where Apple and Google were based in Texas and they'd censor Black Lives Matter activists or some feminists - would all you guys say the same? I bet we'd have right-wingers defending that and left-wingers criticising it.

The problem here is that a few tech companies like Apple, Google and Facebook have a lot of control over what political messages people consume. If you are a left-winger imagine Tim Cook's successor to be a white-pride straight guy and ask yourself if you still feel this kind of power is cool. If you are a right-winger ask yourself if you would still criticise this if it was radical feminists being censored.

My personal stance is that companies shouldn't do this, no matter if it's the radical left or the radical right. Because to someone on the left Alex Jones is a radical but to someone on the right he may be not. And to someone on the right a feminist may be a radical.

Louie said:
What annoys me here is that these things always devolve into a "free speech" debate, as if that was the point. Both sides are correct in a way: Yes, companies have the right to "censor" people on their platforms. But also yes, it's a bad practice. Just imagine a hypothetical scenario where Apple and Google were based in Texas and they'd censor Black Lives Matter activists or some feminists - would all you guys say the same? I bet we'd have right-wingers defending that and left-wingers criticising it.

The problem here is that a few tech companies like Apple, Google and Facebook have a lot of control over what political messages people consume. If you are a left-winger imagine Tim Cook's successor to be a white-pride straight guy and ask yourself if you still feel this kind of power is cool. If you are a right-winger ask yourself if you would still criticise this if it was radical feminists being censored.

My personal stance is that companies shouldn't do this, no matter if it's the radical left or the radical right. Because to someone on the left Alex Jones is a radical but to someone on the right he may be not. And to someone on the right a feminist may be a radical.

Exactly. Its going both ways and goes back to what I said earlier. Both sides will justify the silencing of others as long as it suits their perspective. Leftist praise silencing of jones and right wingers get upset. If someone on the left would get silenced in this way then the leftists would be up in arms and yell to the skies while right wings would turn hypocrite and praise the movie. 

Slippery slope and its downhill from here

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick