By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Facebook, Apple, YouTube, and Spotify Remove Alex Jones from their Platforms

Frogs are...

gay 22 62.86%

straight 13 37.14%

Total:35
OTBWY said:
Freedom of speech stops when someone incites violence and hatred. Especially towards parents who lost their children in such a brutal way. Fuck Alex Jones, I hope everything of his gets shut down.

Thats not how Freedom of Speech works - not at all.

Around the Network

Freedom of Speech works like this:

Freedom of Speech, denotes when a person(s) uses a public platform to express their ideas/views/thoughts and any other means of communicating their views or whatever they be. "Hate Speech" was not a coined phrase or stipulation to Freedom of Speech because of the sole fact that anyone could invoke that stipulation when ever said person uses a platform to express ideas or opinions or whatever it may be - that other people wouldn't agree with. Reason for this is because of one simple fact: the 1st Amendment has absolutely ZERO regard for hurt feelings or opposing views. This is why "Hate Speech" is NOWHERE to be found on the First Amendment - and because it was more or less geared towards a general public who wanted to voice grievances towards the American Government.

Of course - there a number of things that could lead to a person having their platform revoked. A call to direct violence (not the same as hate speech mind you), discussion of non related assigned topics for the platform, (unless it's a Q&A or something of that nature) and many other reasons. Hell, you can even make a speech that advocates pedophilia - though you probably will never find someone willing to give you a platform for that.

Example:
I dislike Pitbulls and all of their respective cross breeds, and believe they should be banned from this country. I use a college auditorium as my platform to present all of my gathered evidence as to why they should be banned while providing a lecture on the benefits of doing so. That's something I have a RIGHT to do under the 1st Amendment - now matter how fucking salty or upset Pitbull owners get at the notion that they're pets are going to be banned.
If you are one of those upset owners - the correct course of civil action to be taken is to put my evidence and beliefs under scrutiny in a platform for a debate, or use a provided Q&A to question or gauge my evidence and personal stance on the matter.

You however, DO NOT get to stand up and chant "Hate Speech!" because of your hurt feelings. If you don't like my stance on Pitbulls, then you're more than welcome to disagree with me - that's your right. But to chant idiotic terms like your auditioning for a role in George Orwells "1984" is unacceptable and not the civil or lawful way to express your grief. That's what protesting is for. And protesting is also NOT allowed on the premises of where the speech is being given.

Now is the internet a platform for free speech? I'll give you one guess... No.
And don't confuse "freedom of speech" with simply just expressing your opinions. When I get moderated on this thread, I don't invoke the first amendment - because the internet is NOT a platform for free speech. It's a platform for opinions. Big difference.

I don't like Alex Jones but he has a right to speak. Social media in this situation (social media in tandem) is making a strong case for the regulation of them to ensure political censorship doesn't happen. It has been for awhile.

DonFerrari said:
Took a single reply to have someone defending it kkkkk.

In Brazil the left wing also was defending a similar system. Facebook obviously had it interest in it as well.

Couple weeks ago FB banned hundred pages and profiles of right wing posters under a "hunt on fakenews", not a single left winged person or page was take down. But the left wing swears there was no bias on FB action.

What are you talking about? They removed MBL's pages, notorious for spreading hate and fake news. I'm not a left wing partisan, and I say you should stop posting biased and not true information.

Guess it's easier to shut him down rather than refute what he is saying. This is where discourse is now, outrage and censorship instead of logic and reason

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Freedom of speech stops when someone incites violence and hatred.

This!

OTBWY said:
Freedom of speech stops when someone incites violence and hatred. Especially towards parents who lost their children in such a brutal way. Fuck Alex Jones, I hope everything of his gets shut down.

Then you don’t believe in freedom of speech.

Chris Hu said:
Pemalite said:
Free speech has never entitled you to say whatever you desire without restriction, compromise or consequence anyway.

Personally I believe that anyone who propagates fake news, conspiracy theories and the like should be shut down, regardless of who it is... Left or Right wing. - But... It should also be done in a a more transparent manner, like a tribunal where these outlets can defend themselves with empirical evidence.

Left Wing outlets like "The Young Turks" should also be heavily scrutinized.

No they shouldn't nobody on the left is as crazy as Alex Jones.  The guy is insane snake oil salesman that does nothing more then tell lies, alternate facts and pushes crazy right wing conspiracy theories like pizza gate, frogs being turned gay by water, that Hillary is possessed by demons and other kind of crazy BS.

I beg to differ.
There are a ton of crazies on the far left that propagate their own alternative-facts and pseudo-science, just like the far-right, they are just as bad as each other.
Best place to be is in the center where you can weigh up the argument from either side and go with what is more logical or what has more empirical evidence.

There are many arguments put forth by the far right that I fundamentally agree and disagree with... And the same holds true for the far-left, I will however not discard either stance just because they are an opponent.

I highly suggest you look up the "Horseshoe theory".

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

You kinda missed the explanation for why it happened on the same day. Everyone wanted to ban Alex Jones for years, but they didn't wanna be the trigger puller. When Apple did it, they opened the flood gates. Because now it's Apple's fault. They've probably been waiting to ban him for ages, but didn't want the public backlash for it.

The guys deserved the ban for ages now, my only problem is that they took this long. He literally caused a guy to take his shotgun to hold up a pizza place because Hillary liked to eat there...

Yes free and open internet means freedom of speech, but youtube and all these other companies are still PRIVATE COMPANIES with RULES OF CONDUCT. If Alex wants to start his own website, he can post as many horrible things on it as he likes, but this is Youtubes website and Apples Website and Facebook's website. You use their stuff, you play by their rules.

Aeolus451 said:
I don't like Alex Jones but he has a right to speak. Social media in this situation (social media in tandem) is making a strong case for the regulation of them to ensure political censorship doesn't happen. It has been for awhile.

No one is taking away his right to speak. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3