By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Follow your dreams" is the stupidest advice ever.

Marth said:
bugrimmar said:

I don't think so. Anything that requires a high level of skill can't be done by just anybody. Even something like carpentry requires you to be handy. Not everything can be learned even if you put a lot of effort into it.

I disagree. You can learn every skill. You just need the dedication to do so.
Talent only reduces the time to get good at something.

Nope. Most basic skills may be learnt by almost anyone. But there will always be things you can't learn no matter how many hours you try and there will be things you will learn in minutes.

Talent is a real barrier.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

It should be "follow your dreams and be willing to accept imminent failure and disappointment"

Another problem of the "follow your dreams" is the folding of everyone deserves a good life... so if your dream you to be a painter and you don't make money with it, the society have to fund you through life because you are living your dream.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Heh. This thread remind me of how someone I knew really disliked J.K. Rowling:
"She's giving a speech? About what? Write a novel and get extremely lucky?"

'Follow your dreams if you dare, but if that dream is to be the very best in whatever way, rich, smart, powerful, famous, etc, then expect the worst, but be as grateful as I am if you just happen to make it, and if you reach the peak like I have, don't be a douchebag and do what you can to help society as much as reasonably possible.'

I know they only have a short time span to say a few words, or are just flat out frowned upon for dragging it out, but this is what needs to be said. Many also couldn't say this because it would make them hypocrites, so the short version makes even more sense for them.

The moral of the story... the screen lies more often than it tells the truth. Reality doesn't sell near as well either. Can't get enough of that 'Reality TV'...

Around the Network

You can't follow dreams anyways. Dreams are just instances that occur involuntarily beyond your will. They're a figment of a non-existent reality. So when people tell you to follow your dreams, they're just telling you to sleep walk!

how is sleep walking gonna help make me a billionaire :(

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

And this week on projecting pessimism to make others feel as bad as I do...on a gaming forum lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Qwark said:
Depends on what your dream is, if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer you should defenitely follow that. If you want to be famous its a huge gamble depending on luck more than anything so I would not advice it.

In the "field" of getting famous, either its actor, musician, tv host, etc, money and connections are a first and a must ingredient, because even tough its on TV, things are not happening like in the movies - some director notices you and by pure altruism he give a huge and easy chance to fulfill your dream.
Yes, luck it extremely important but not in this sense.

bugrimmar said:

When I watch an awards show and an actress delivers a speech saying "follow your dreams", I have to swallow my own vomit.

Its part of the control - the famous person show himself as an altruist, honest and benevolent one, because that will add to his/her charm, and people fall for that, they think: "This guy is for us, he wants to help us, he want us to become like him - rich and famous."
S/he doesn't deliver that speech because its the truth and because s/he wants to help ordinary mortals to compete for his/her place, they do it because in the eyes of the sheeple it looks good, it fuels their delusions and also, by doing so - having sheeple to follow him/her, it fuels his/her support for staying there on top.

Every smart man know the hypocrisy of that statement and the fact that obviously doesn't work. Also, the con man know why its useful to use it on sheeple and what he has to gain.

It is probably the best advice ever. I am truly saddened that you do not believe in finding your passion and making it work for you. Is it easy? No. Is going to work for someone that did follow their dreams any easier? Probably not. Find what fuels you and go, go, go.

As another poster noted, you can learn any skill if you have the drive and discipline to learn it. A blind man can play piano because that was his fucking dream. You cannot get mad at successful people for giving you the keys to success. You cannot say, "they are one in a million" because of their looks when Forest Whitaker routinely gets acting roles making big money. Work hard. Work extremely hard. Then work harder. You are the person that told me I could not make my dreams become a reality. Saying they are anomalies and I am a normie. The difference was not in their looks, it was in their dedication and work ethic. I am a normal man that does extraordinary things. The people around me have told me, "you can't fast that long, you will die" or, "sleeping only four hours a day will kill you. Tesla was different. He was an anomaly. You are just Muhammad" and my favorite, "sometimes you have to give in and fight. You are not Gandhi". And I will happily tell you, I am a normal guy that is not exceptional. I just decided to dedicate myself to my disciplines despite your negativity and you know what I saw that you will probably never, ever see? Success.

And it all starts with me having a dream and deciding to follow it. TL;DR Fuck off with your loser attitude.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000