By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Godzilla: King of the Monsters first trailer

I hope it has DESOTOROYAH!!!

Oh and nice that Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidora are in it. Finally a western made monster mashup with Godzilla.

Around the Network

My favourite kaiju is Titanosaurus, I wish they would bring him back. He only ever appeared in one godzilla movie where he teamed up with mechagodzilla and at one stage they were beating the hell out of godzilla.

DialgaMarine said:
Can’t wait for this. The early previews declare if you like beautiful well done epic CGI fights, then the movie is excellent. That was really the only flaw with the last film was that there wasn’t much Godzilla. This is just sounding better and better

Definitely not enough.  There was actually only 10 mins of Godzilla in the first one.  And that films was over 2 hrs long.  That is just pathetic.  Especially since half of that time was just leading up to battles that we never got to actually see.

curl-6 said:
Cobretti2 said:
I'm all for monsters fighting lol

but that plot in the trailer? to save the earth we need to unleash them all.

They going to go and wipe out india and china first to cut down human population before they all have a massive browl or something?

I got the impression that it was an extremist group that wants to unleash them on humanity.

Same.  It seems like the girl's mother is part of it, too.  Though, I wish they held off on Ghidorah til the final film.  Maybe use Battra, instead, as a foil to Mothra.

I'm hoping for more screen times for those monsters instead of unnecessary human drama like the previous movie.

Still don’t like Godzilla design. Looks too fat.

Around the Network

Personally, as a fan, I'm over the moon. I just love the way the monsters are presented as these god-like beings with a real sense of majesty and power. It's gorgeous to look at too, not just in terms of the special effects but the use of striking imagery like Mothra spreading her glowing wings or Rodan atop the volcano at sunset.

The cast is strong as hell too; Charles Dance, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, Zhang Ziyi, Millie Bob Brown...

All in all, it really looks crafted with respect and love for the source material, and I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Shadow1980 said:

Looking good. Glad to see more classic Godzilla monsters. The MUTOs from the previous movie were cool, but nothing beats the classics. Hollywood seems to be doing justice with Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, "westernizing" them while still respecting the source material.

Yeah, much like the 2014 film did a good job of modernizing Godzilla while remaining true to its original design, what little we see of Rodan/Mothra/King Ghidorah here seems to strike a similar balance of new and badass yet faithful.

As someone who grew up with these characters I can't wait to see them in action with cutting edge modern effects. We haven't seen Rodan or Mothra in action since 2004, and King Ghidorah since 2001, and even then they were held back somewhat by the fact that the Japanese movies had like 1/10th the budget of a Hollywood blockbuster and hence couldn't afford to use top end effects even for their time.

Hopefully they nail the personality of the monsters too; the 2014 film did a commendable job in my opinion of giving Godzilla a real sense of character; he was powerful and destructive, but at the same time majestic and sympathetic, an ancient, battle-weary warrior coming out of retirement to defend his turf. The trailer already seems to suggest a gentle and benevolent Mothra and a fierce Rodan.

didn't like the first one

looks the same to me

CaptainExplosion said:

OTBWY said:
I hope it has DESOTOROYAH!!!

Oh and nice that Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidora are in it. Finally a western made monster mashup with Godzilla.

Never saw Godzilla VS. Destroya, but I've heard Destroya's one of the most ruthless Godzilla monsters ever faced.

Oh Destoroyah was definitely one of Goji's fiercest foes. In that film Godzilla was superpowered due to his internal reactor overloading, and it was still a brutal fight.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 July 2018

One of the best trailers I've ever seen for a movie.

Perfect music choice to go with Debussy, fantastic cinematography throughout the trailer itself and Charles fucking Dance. Roll on IMAX.