By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who is currently playing Octopath ?...your thoughts about it?

I've put 10 hours into it...I'm at work and I can't wait to get home to play this.
It's really good, love the combat and the atmosphere. The stories are a bit meh but I can live with it.
really fun to play.

Think for yourself, question authority

Around the Network

It’s good, not great. No real character interactions. Just 8 individual stories that are 4 chapters long. Each chapter is about an hour long. Combat is really good. I decided I really wanted the advanced jobs and grinded my way to them. Now that I have them all unlocked though... I find myself not super motivated to keep playing...

The best jrpg in many, many years.

Mar1217 said:
gergroy said:
It’s good, not great. No real character interactions. Just 8 individual stories that are 4 chapters long. Each chapter is about an hour long. Combat is really good. I decided I really wanted the advanced jobs and grinded my way to them. Now that I have them all unlocked though... I find myself not super motivated to keep playing...

You already found all the jobs ? Damn, must have put some good time into it :P

Though, as for the character interaction they don't need to be more serviceable than the chit-chat we get during Chapter 2 and later between the party,IMO. 

I’ve put about 40 hours in.  I got the time now while it is summer.  My time goes away when school starts.

Story has always been a very important part of RPG’s for me, and the lack of an overall story or character interactions is very disappointing for me.  It feels like 8 very small rpgs then one whole rpg.  I feel like this game could have been much better with a cohesive story bringing all these characters together.   Oh well, it’s still good, just not great.  At least the characters don’t annoy the crap out of me like the bravely series (except the hunter, I hate her).

About 10 hours in, I'm enjoying it so far, the soundtrack is outstanding, the visuals are a great throwback that adds enough to not give a more of the same vibe compared to old games/indies, the combat system is also very engaging, just like the story. My only problems so far are the random encounters, but I heard there's a character I still haven't recruited that makes them far more enjoyable, I still think the game would gain some points from implementing something like Repels from Pokémon, even if they were a rare item to find, other than that I found the level design to be linear, there's few branching paths and the land feels like a giant ring you need to part from only if you find a chest, it's ok if the game doesn't want to focus on exploration, but I still think it'd be a major plus if it had proper dungeons (it still might have them and I might just be too early in the game to have seen one yet though)

Around the Network
Luke888 said:
About 10 hours in, I'm enjoying it so far, the soundtrack is outstanding, the visuals are a great throwback that adds enough to not give a more of the same vibe compared to old games/indies, the combat system is also very engaging, just like the story. My only problems so far are the random encounters, but I heard there's a character I still haven't recruited that makes them far more enjoyable, I still think the game would gain some points from implementing something like Repels from Pokémon, even if they were a rare item to find, other than that I found the level design to be linear, there's few branching paths and the land feels like a giant ring you need to part from only if you find a chest, it's ok if the game doesn't want to focus on exploration, but I still think it'd be a major plus if it had proper dungeons (it still might have them and I might just be too early in the game to have seen one yet though)

The post below has no story spoilers:

Cyrus first passive skill reduces encounter rate.So the one you are looking for is him.And while I never have and never will use that skill(encounter rate is perfect for me), the skill probably reduces in half or close to that the encounter rate.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Luke888 said:

The post below has no story spoilers:

Cyrus first passive skill reduces encounter rate.So the one you are looking for is him.And while I never have and never will use that skill(encounter rate is perfect for me), the skill probably reduces in half or close to that the encounter rate.

I know who it is, I simply didn't go towards him due to where I started/the path I took, so far I had little to no problem in battle, I only died once in a boss battle since I didn't pay attention to the attack order, so I'll consider using it to make things more challenging, even if currently I feel like I'm just the right level I'm supposed to be to accomplish stuff

Also guys, just FYI, the sorcerer job is the one to strive for. Incredibly overpowered, basically takes out all encounters single handily in one turn. Warmaster has a good divine spell, and the starseer has some good passive skills. Runelord is kinda junk though...

After finally beating Ys VIII ( what a fantastic game btw.) i got my hands on Octopath Traveler and playes the game foe the first 8 hours. Pretty addictive so far.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I'm only two hours in because of a complete lack of time to play, but so far, it looks exactly like what I hoped it would be way back when it was first announced with the big Switch reveal.

I picked Tressa to start, and discovered her steal ability's success rate scales evenly with how damaged the enemy is. Thanks for the free scan ability!