By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who is currently playing Octopath ?...your thoughts about it?

I´m on the fence about this game, leaning towards getting it ,especially now that I´m in the mood for a JRPG again after finishing Persona 5 a few months ago.

Is the game hitting all the right notes for you (or most of them)?

For someone who enjoys JRPGs, would you say this game is a must have?

Around the Network

It's very good if you like 16-bit era games. It features beautiful graphics, a rich soundtrack, a good story so far, and solid rpg gameplay mechanics.

Maybe you could just try the demo, it's free and let's you play the game for three hours.

I'm surprisingly into it.It's been a while since a traditional JRPG hook me as much as this. I'm still getting all of the characters, though, I'm trying to grind while the inns are free.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Two hours in and really enjoying it...
More so than I ever enjoyed Bravely Default...
Though who knows how I might feel by hour three...

Have a nice day...

I want Nintendo to let Square Enix remake Earthbound with Octopath Traveler’s graphics style (the so-called, as per Square Enix, HD 2D visuals).

As for the game itself, I am enjoying the combat, the graphics, the soundtrack, and the amazing world. However, I am a bit irked that my characters do not really interact with one another much.

Around the Network

i’m 16 hours in and i love it. there’s just so much to do in the game and it let’s you do things at your own pace.

my favorite jrpg i’ve played in a long, long time.

I just started playing this yesterday (about 1.5 hours in so far). Very reminiscent of Square's early work in the Final Fantasy series. I'm enjoying the graphics, story, and gameplay mechanics very much. The one mini-dungeon I went into that had battles so far was very grindy with battles every few steps. If you're not put off by that sort of thing, then this is for you. Either way, this game is a perfect fit for the hybrid style of the Switch. In the last two days, I've already played it in the park, in bed, and on lunch break at work. So yes, I consider it a must have. The only reason I'm only a couple of hours into it is because I got it along with 4 other games for my birthday yesterday, so I'm spreading my time out across a number of games simultaneously at the moment.

I'm 8 hours in, done about half the Chapter 1s.
While I'm enjoying it so far and I appreciate the streamlined nature and polish in comparison to say - Xenoblade 2, the fact the party members don't interact at all is a little jarring.
I was fine without a major evil trying to destroy the world where all heroes unite, but no intra-party chemistry does take a little away from it.
Obviously, I wasn't expecting a cinematic game, but it feels less alive and more static than say, FFVI and even Bravely Default, but I guess I need to play dozens more hours to see if this game is really one single mold or has more movement to it.
So far though, it feels closer to FF1 than to FF6 in terms of design.

JamesGarret said:

I´m on the fence about this game, leaning towards getting it ,especially now that I´m in the mood for a JRPG again after finishing Persona 5 a few months ago.

Is the game hitting all the right notes for you (or most of them)?

For someone who enjoys JRPGs, would you say this game is a must have?

I can't believe I'm reading this. 

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy tells me that persona 5 is trash and that octopath traveler is the best thing besides sliced bread.

So why are you doubting such a great game like octopath traveler and you actually had the....the mental capacity to actually finish a trash game like persona 5??

Probably the best RPG I've played in 10 years. If you like the genre, just buy it already (if it's still in stock where you live).

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~