By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who is currently playing Octopath ?...your thoughts about it?

Currently playing it. I will keep my opinion of the game to myself for now, as I rather finish the game first. However, I am very pleased with the game so far (8 hours in).

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:
I'm 8 hours in, done about half the Chapter 1s.
While I'm enjoying it so far and I appreciate the streamlined nature and polish in comparison to say - Xenoblade 2, the fact the party members don't interact at all is a little jarring.
I was fine without a major evil trying to destroy the world where all heroes unite, but no intra-party chemistry does take a little away from it.
Obviously, I wasn't expecting a cinematic game, but it feels less alive and more static than say, FFVI and even Bravely Default, but I guess I need to play dozens more hours to see if this game is really one single mold or has more movement to it.
So far though, it feels closer to FF1 than to FF6 in terms of design.

I agree with you on the party interaction. That said, I did actually have an interaction between two characters in one of their Chapter 2 story's so maybe they'll be more.

Can't stop coming back, that's all I'm gonna say.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

20 hours in and I"m loving it so far. Tied with Dragon Quest XI and Pokemon B2W2 as my favourite RPGs of the past decade. The lack of interaction and some sort of overarching story is getting criticism, but I don't really feel as if it's disjointed at all. It is a game with eight separate stories and protagonists, who team up as they need more manpower to achieve their own goals. The complete lack of JRPG trash anime tropes is a breath of fresh air and has made it much better than any other RPG on the system for me. The combat system is great as well, really fun to play and master. Each character fights differently as well, which makes you change things up and think of new strategies. Music/graphics are superb too (the snowlands in particular are stunning). Absolutely worth the hype and deserving of the success.

I just did the Primrose and Olfric chapter 1's. I am currently doing Tressa. The game is legit so far. I only got the game today due to Amazon shenanigans so I am behind everyone else. I still feel like I need to play more though.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

It's alright.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I should have preordered the Wayfarer's Edition (havn't said that since the PSX / N64 era). Now I'm holding out in case they restock it.
I am amazed and pleased at the reception on here.

I've put a good amount of hours in and have gotten up to 5/8 chapter 3s, and my only gripe so far is the minimal party interaction (you do get Party Chats starting at chapter 2, where members of your current party and the chapter's focus character discuss the events of that chapter), but at this point it doesn't really take much away from the individual stories anymore, which are mostly quite strong and some have gone in surprising directions. They feel a lot more personal compared to when a large rpg party is constantly chiming in during the cutscenes.

I find that all the character have a good amount of utility in battle, sans Ophilia. As a squishy cleric, she feels to me to be more of a burden than her healing spells are worth since the best way to stay in good health is to break the enemies and kill them fast, which Ophilia is woefully poor at assisting with since she only starts with a stave and light spells. Maybe I'm just a bit biased since she seems to slow the battles down, so I haven't invested much time in trying to utilize her better, but everyone else feels like they serve a niche that makes them more interesting to use.

Otherwise, I find it immensely satisfying trying to rearrange my party and seeing who compliments each other in battle best. Almost as satisfying as reaching a new town and immediately set about interrogating and robbing everyone.

Also the game is visually beautiful and the music is fantastic.

The switch gets more and more compelling. My friend and I are thinking of splitting one and I have yet to commit because I don't know how viable it would be. But games like BOTW, Mario and Now this make me very very tempted.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Mar1217 said:
Brii said:
I've put a good amount of hours in and have gotten up to 5/8 chapter 3s, and my only gripe so far is the minimal party interaction (you do get Party Chats starting at chapter 2, where members of your current party and the chapter's focus character discuss the events of that chapter), but at this point it doesn't really take much away from the individual stories anymore, which are mostly quite strong and some have gone in surprising directions. They feel a lot more personal compared to when a large rpg party is constantly chiming in during the cutscenes.

I find that all the character have a good amount of utility in battle, sans Ophilia. As a squishy cleric, she feels to me to be more of a burden than her healing spells are worth since the best way to stay in good health is to break the enemies and kill them fast, which Ophilia is woefully poor at assisting with since she only starts with a stave and light spells. Maybe I'm just a bit biased since she seems to slow the battles down, so I haven't invested much time in trying to utilize her better, but everyone else feels like they serve a niche that makes them more interesting to use.

Otherwise, I find it immensely satisfying trying to rearrange my party and seeing who compliments each other in battle best. Almost as satisfying as reaching a new town and immediately set about interrogating and robbing everyone.

Also the game is visually beautiful and the music is fantastic.

You need to find and give her a second job mate :)

"reaching a new town and immediately set about interrogating and robbing everyone"

Haha ! Yup, that's me :D

I gave her the scholar class but she's still not the best in a fight. Cyrus outclasses her in every way, as he is my primary character so he can't leave the party and I've dumped all magic stat boosters into him. So Ophilia is just a weaker, redundant version of him. She's not as effective with the dancer or merchant subclass as just giving someone else the cleric subclass, because it's more flexible to switch someone to cleric as I need it than trying to make a cleric work with another class. At least from my personal experience. But I also find her character to be the most uninteresting in both her 2 chapters (one of the 3 chapter 3s I have left, so maybe it gets more interesting than playing peacemaker to little annoying kids) and early battles (she was my second character so I spent a lot of the early game with her as just a cleric) so I'm not as invested in trying to make her work as a party member. 

Honestly, my favorite party setup is everyone with rogue path actions. Therion is super useful in and out of battle, especially while exploring and finding locked chests. Tressa is good for making cash and buying useful items when Therion can't hack it, though.