By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Playing through Rift Apart, I'm hoping that if we get another R&C entry this generation, Insomniac would capitalize on the improved traversal mechanics. Some of the extra dimensions have platforming sections that feel very inventive for the series standards.

Around the Network

With HBO's TLoU shaping up as a massive success, TLoU games might see a healthy increase in sales. This series could have been Sony's biggest if Neil Druckmann didn't royally screw up the sequel and consequently the series's potential. Regardless how you feel about it, Part 2 was definitely a divisive game.

I'm wondering how the TV audience will react to Part 2, I can see Craig Mazin making serious changes there.

Kyuu said:

I'm wondering how the TV audience will react to Part 2

They will fucking love it, I'm sure of it. It's the kind of story that works perfectly for a TV show

Kyuu said:

With HBO's TLoU shaping up as a massive success, TLoU games might see a healthy increase in sales. This series could have been Sony's biggest if Neil Druckmann didn't royally screw up the sequel and consequently the series's potential. Regardless how you feel about it, Part 2 was definitely a divisive game.

I'm wondering how the TV audience will react to Part 2, I can see Craig Mazin making serious changes there.

You didn't like Part 2...cool a lot of people didn't, but a lot people absolutely loved it.  I suppose it could have the same effect as Walking Dead when they had their red wedding moment and turned a lot of viewers off.

PotentHerbs said:

Playing through Rift Apart, I'm hoping that if we get another R&C entry this generation, Insomniac would capitalize on the improved traversal mechanics. Some of the extra dimensions have platforming sections that feel very inventive for the series standards.

Just completed it. I'd love a stand alone expansion which just focuses on gameplay diversity. Enemies that require specific tactics, weapons having applications outside of combat, more interactive environments. I would love a hub world with a few big levels 

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
Kyuu said:

You didn't like Part 2...cool a lot of people didn't, but a lot people absolutely loved it.  I suppose it could have the same effect as Walking Dead when they had their red wedding moment and turned a lot of viewers off.

Isn't red wedding for Game of Thrones? =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kyuu said:

Hmm, I don't see this happening. The environment of the games arrival was very different which I think fed into the negativity. TV audiences are also less entitled in shaping how a story evolves. I think that the series will benefit from not having to force the viewer to "play" through the other side of the story, so it can be told in a more convenient, less jarring fashion. 

Beyond the repetition I can't recall genuine critique of the second games story. It's more interpersonal drama versus plot is exactly what a lot of people love in a lot TV shows

Otter said:
Kyuu said:

Hmm, I don't see this happening. The environment of the games arrival was very different which I think fed into the negativity. TV audiences are also less entitled in shaping how a story evolves. I think that the series will benefit from not having to force the viewer to "play" through the other side of the story, so it can be told in a more convenient, less jarring fashion. 

Beyond the repetition I can't recall genuine critique of the second games story. It's more interpersonal drama versus plot is exactly what a lot of people love in a lot TV shows

The tv show would likely show the story from the other POV, and I know most of the time I don't like the time lost showing other people POV in a media.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Otter said:

Just completed it. I'd love a stand alone expansion which just focuses on gameplay diversity. Enemies that require specific tactics, weapons having applications outside of combat, more interactive environments. I would love a hub world with a few big levels 

This is my biggest criticism of the game so far. All the weapons you have can practically kill any enemies you encounter without any real strategy. I agree, though, if another entry/spinoff were to be released, more gameplay diversity is the direction I would like to see them go. 

Otter said:

Is that where the backlash for Pt2 comes from? I never understood the hatred Pt2 got as I find the game brilliant and refreshing how it makes you experience the destructive downward spiral revenge devolves into. Maybe it's the unease that there is no 'right' side. Or is it just the sudden stop and basically starting a new game on a cliff hanger? Or the forcing you to hurt the other character / defend yourself to continue?

Tbh in movies and TV shows I never like that mechanic. I always let out a groan when another backflash starts, or "20 hours earlier" pops up. I like it more when it shows the story lines in parallel until they inevitably meet. But for a game the way Pt2 does it works. Frequent swapping between characters gets annoying, yet getting two games/stories works for me. Would the game work if you swap between Ellie and Abby on a chapter by chapter basis?

Anyway replaying Pt1 after Pt2 made me see the game in a new light, much more aware about all the death I was causing along the way. Pt2 raised up Pt1 even more for me, both amazing games.

The one thing I fault them for is not making the TV series available on PS5. Hopefully HBO releases it on blu-ray after it's done 'airing'.