By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

With all the positive reception and massive amount of views the HBO adaptation of The Last of Us has generated, it puts the multiplayer project in such a unique position to succeed, with this being Naughty Dog's most ambitious project yet.

The best case scenario is TLOU becomes the next Fortnite in the multiplayer space.

Around the Network
Machina said:

I thought those figures were pretty good at first, but they're actually all down YoY. Switch and PS5 should/could be up YoY next week though.

SvennoJ said:
Otter said:

Hmm, I don't see this happening. The environment of the games arrival was very different which I think fed into the negativity. TV audiences are also less entitled in shaping how a story evolves. I think that the series will benefit from not having to force the viewer to "play" through the other side of the story, so it can be told in a more convenient, less jarring fashion. 

Beyond the repetition I can't recall genuine critique of the second games story. It's more interpersonal drama versus plot is exactly what a lot of people love in a lot TV shows

Is that where the backlash for Pt2 comes from? I never understood the hatred Pt2 got as I find the game brilliant and refreshing how it makes you experience the destructive downward spiral revenge devolves into. Maybe it's the unease that there is no 'right' side. Or is it just the sudden stop and basically starting a new game on a cliff hanger? Or the forcing you to hurt the other character / defend yourself to continue?

Tbh in movies and TV shows I never like that mechanic. I always let out a groan when another backflash starts, or "20 hours earlier" pops up. I like it more when it shows the story lines in parallel until they inevitably meet. But for a game the way Pt2 does it works. Frequent swapping between characters gets annoying, yet getting two games/stories works for me. Would the game work if you swap between Ellie and Abby on a chapter by chapter basis?

Anyway replaying Pt1 after Pt2 made me see the game in a new light, much more aware about all the death I was causing along the way. Pt2 raised up Pt1 even more for me, both amazing games.

The one thing I fault them for is not making the TV series available on PS5. Hopefully HBO releases it on blu-ray after it's done 'airing'.

I think the leaks played a big part, then you had a lot of youtube "influencers" saying things like "they destroyed the franchise we all loved and care" so a lot of people followed. 

A lot of people were also very attached to the main protagonist in Part I and they didn't like the 2nd part of the game in Part II

I'm the one that prefers very good gameplay experiences than a good story (not that part 2 story was bad), but not people are the same.

I expect that in the short/long future, Part II will be seen with a different scope from people who "hated" the game.

SvennoJ said:

Is that where the backlash for Pt2 comes from? I never understood the hatred Pt2 got as I find the game brilliant and refreshing how it makes you experience the destructive downward spiral revenge devolves into. Maybe it's the unease that there is no 'right' side. Or is it just the sudden stop and basically starting a new game on a cliff hanger? Or the forcing you to hurt the other character / defend yourself to continue?

Tbh in movies and TV shows I never like that mechanic. I always let out a groan when another backflash starts, or "20 hours earlier" pops up. I like it more when it shows the story lines in parallel until they inevitably meet. But for a game the way Pt2 does it works. Frequent swapping between characters gets annoying, yet getting two games/stories works for me. Would the game work if you swap between Ellie and Abby on a chapter by chapter basis?

Anyway replaying Pt1 after Pt2 made me see the game in a new light, much more aware about all the death I was causing along the way. Pt2 raised up Pt1 even more for me, both amazing games.

The one thing I fault them for is not making the TV series available on PS5. Hopefully HBO releases it on blu-ray after it's done 'airing'.

Spoiler!

I've seen a handful of reasons.

1.) Some people were bothered by Joel's death in general. I've seen a lot of people complain that he didn't give as much of a fight as he would have in the first game. Or that he gave too much information that he wouldn't have in the first game. Or that they felt the game was supposed to be Joel and Ellie's story, and they're disappointed that it's not.

2.) Some people were bothered by Joel's death, plus having to play as Abby.

As you said, I think in general a lot of people were bothered by there not being a right side.

And there are frankly plenty of people who felt that the game was politically driven. Either because Abby was too buff, or Lev was in the game, or various other reasons.

SvennoJ said:
Otter said:

Hmm, I don't see this happening. The environment of the games arrival was very different which I think fed into the negativity. TV audiences are also less entitled in shaping how a story evolves. I think that the series will benefit from not having to force the viewer to "play" through the other side of the story, so it can be told in a more convenient, less jarring fashion. 

Beyond the repetition I can't recall genuine critique of the second games story. It's more interpersonal drama versus plot is exactly what a lot of people love in a lot TV shows

People love to hate what other people hate without thinking for themselfs, they saw 50 videos of some random youtubers hating it, they star hating it too. Its so sad to see .

Then you had the leaks and lies.

Then you had some right wing weirdos hating because they say is woke.

You have left weirdos saying ita not woke enough.

Then you have people who just wanted something different.

And you have the usual haters of everything sony related because its a sucess.

SvennoJ said:
Otter said:

TLoU2 backlash largely came, and continues to come, from a group of homophobic and transphobic people.

Sure there are people who don't like certain aspects of the games narrative, but they aren't the ones who deeply hate the game. 

Around the Network
twintail said:
SvennoJ said:

TLoU2 backlash largely came, and continues to come, from a group of homophobic and transphobic people.

Sure there are people who don't like certain aspects of the games narrative, but they aren't the ones who deeply hate the game. 

I wouldn't say it comes from that group, but I can agree that it is pushed mostly by that group to a point that bystanders end up believing the game is bad and enter the hate wagon.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Thanks for all the replies. I avoided all information about Pt2 that could contain spoilers until I had finished it which wasn't until Nov 20th 2021. I started the game a week after release yet took a long break to continue and finish it on PS5 (including a second play-through), which took a while to find one. It was worth the wait, plays great with dualsense controller.

Of course the negative reception still leaked through my media boycott and while it was shocking to have the main protaganist from the first game killed off quite early, I couldn't see anything else in the game to warrant such a strong reaction. Makes more sense now, a perfect storm of some influencers taking lots of 'little; things and blowing it out of proportion.

Gameplay wise it is Tlou1 with a few enhancements. Levels were bigger, more detailed, longer game, more varied. So if you liked Tlou1, it could only be the story I figured. Of course if you don't like Tlou1, Pt2 won't change your mind. I'm just glad they didn't cop out and do an origin story. Left Behind already addressed that.

@the-pi-guy It made perfect sense to me that Joel was done fighting. Same for Abby being buff. Actually finally a character that matches all the shit they do in game. What's unbelievable is how Ellie pulls off all that running, climbing, jumping, fighting lol.

But yeah I can see how the inclusion of gender and sexual orientation can trigger certain groups. I guess it's more the gender thing than sexual orientation since Left Behind didn't seem to have that kind of reception. Anyway Lev's back story came across more as Mulan to me than pushing transgender 'issues'. I guess its the world we live in nowadays.

I hope there will be a next game continuing Lev's and Abby's story. Ellie seems to have reached closure, but could of course still decide to actually do what she set out to do in the first place. But maybe there is higher demand for an origin story on Joel and Ellie, or a between Pt1 and Pt2 'Joel and Ellie's adventures'. They could also easily leave it here.

What I am not waiting for is a multiplayer Tlou, but it seems the market wants that :/

DonFerrari said:
twintail said:

I wouldn't say it comes from that group, but I can agree that it is pushed mostly by that group to a point that bystanders end up believing the game is bad and enter the hate wagon.

That group did use that angle to justify hating the game, but from my perspective the core issue for most, even them, is that Part 2 didn't turn out like you would think it would. There are many things, seen as quite political today, that were brought into the story that weren't expected because that's not what the first game was about at all. The general expectation was a continuation of the zombie type world and question of how Ellie was going to play into that now since she's special. I thought maybe she would find out about what happened and may go looking for more Fireflies or groups like them with a different end result this time. Maybe she would become a scientist and would use her own DNA to figure out how to cure clickers or make the non infected immune.

The story went from quite general focusing on all of humanity overall, to more specifically focusing on a few individuals and their individuality in Part 2. Some people weren't ready for that, and some people just didn't or don't like that period. Add in the recent political angle to that and some people were extremely turned off. Pretty sure Druckmann said it was supposed to be controversial, so he got what he wanted, and I don't know how in anyway, he could be surprised by the many different reactions with that goal.

PSVR2 keeps looking better and better.

Can't wait.

Sony on the look out for new positions during all these lay offs of game developers is nice to see!