By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

It seems there is already a review of Returnal :

Last edited by CloudxTifa - on 28 April 2021

Around the Network

A final message from Housemarque before the release of Returnal tomorrow:

https://housemarque.com/news/2021/4/28/housemarques-new-awesome-arcade-action-game-released-tomorrow-4slkn-dw2na

I'm torn between getting Returnals day one or waiting for a price drop. In particular I don't want to support Sony putting a £70 price tag (a jump from £55, the UK hike is crazy) on a title that probably cost far less to produce then all of last gens big hitters (Spiderman, TLOU2, GOW, Horizon etc). I'm actually willing to pay £70 for once in a generation games with crazy budgets but I don't think it should be the default price for PS5 exclusives.

Last edited by Otter - on 29 April 2021

Damn son, also 87 on OpenCritic

https://opencritic.com/game/11173/returnal

Didn't expect this to score to high tbh. Good stuff, HouseMarque arcade roots delivers.

Skillups review (contains minor spoilers) took him 35 hours to complete it.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

Wow, so Returnal currently has a Metacritic of 86!

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/returnal

I take the game as soon I have finished Ghost Of Tsushima.

@Bristow9091 

If I were to guess, probably not as well as Spiderman: Miles Morales because of the price but who knows. PS5 owners have been buying up games.

Hopefully it does well, and the devs get a good budget and more people to work on their next project. Want more unique looking games and IPs like this one.

Absolutely, £70 is ridiculous. Selfishly, want the games to even out and be priced closer to PS4 because most people would balk at at the £70 rrp. I'm personally waiting for the retail version to drop to £55 at least before buying. I mean I would absolutely day one buy a ND or SMS game at £60 and £70 for God of War. But not for a roguelike, no matter how good it is.

I'll give it a couple of months before people start flogging the game on Ebay for £50, because the game is 'too hard' and punishing

Last edited by hinch - on 29 April 2021

Bristow9091 said:
hinch said:

@Bristow9091 

If I were to guess, probably not as well as Spiderman: Miles Morales because of the price but who knows. PS5 owners have been buying up games.

Hopefully it does well, and the devs get a good budget and more people to work on their next project. Want more unique looking games and IPs like this one.

Yeah, the price point is kind of what worries me, and apparently some of the reviewers too... not sure how Housemarque's previous games have all sold, but given the quality on display here, with the solid reviews and what appears to be a decent amount of content (If you're putting 30-50 hours in just to finish it), I reckon it'll be a success... just that early sales might be lower than what they could've been as people may still be waiting for a price cut. I'd be one of those people too, not because of this game specifically, but all games... I can't really justify the jump from paying £40-45 for a PS4 game, to £70 for a PS5 game lol... we got absolutely shafted with the price increase here!

I was worried that a roguelike being sold at full retail price would be a bad value proposition, but after seeing the game in action and the early reviews saying 30-50 hours to finish...well...I got my copy. It's downloading now! 

I love seeing good things do well, so I imagine this will be at least a moderate success. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Yeah its crazy. I remember preordering games like Detroit, The Last of Us 2 and Uncharted 4 for about £41-48. PS3 games were even lower range than that, from as low as £37! And now PS5 games (so far) has gone up to 50% from PS4. Way too much of a jump imo. But yeah I too try stick to £20's for games too for newish releases I'm not dying to play.

Picked up Spiderman Miles Morales for £21 on Ebay in Feb so games will drop. I have a huge backlog and WoW to play so its no big waiting a few months for a substantial price cut.