By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Ignorance Surrounding Battle Passes

Ganoncrotch said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

fuck passes, fuck subs, im done with it once i buy the damn game. plain and simple.

Game is free though.

As for the OP, the line about

" If you see someone sporting last Season's tier 100 skin, you know they must be a good player."

you know this is in the paragraph which follows the one where you wrote

" Anyone with moderate skill could reasonably pull it off."

So which is it?

In my views when you see a person running about with the tier 100 skin it tells me just one thing about them, they love to pay for cosmetics, no two ways about it, the skins are 100% cosmetic and do nothing for you in game, you can buy both the pass and buy the tiers for cash so someone with a high tier skin could just swipe their mums credit card more than someone who convinces her to pay for just the base battle pass.

But yeah, the only thing you can tell about a player with a battle pass skin is that they bought the battle pass, they bought a thing for money which gives them zero advantage in a game just because it looks pretty, in my opinion... that isn't a "good player" and if anything I would deem it to be a more fun target because when you shoot that person in the head you know they're a person that cares what their head looked like right before it exploded into items.

that is what loot boxes are for and they have done very well without the extra "pass" extra fee. still fuck fees and passes, especially for "free" games. it kinda makes it seem worse.

thread title should read, The Ignorance in supporting this garbage.

Last edited by LiquorandGunFun - on 07 July 2018

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Game is free though.

" If you see someone sporting last Season's tier 100 skin, you know they must be a good player."

So which is it?

In my views when you see a person running about with the tier 100 skin it tells me just one thing about them, they love to pay for cosmetics, no two ways about it, the skins are 100% cosmetic and do nothing for you in game, you can buy both the pass and buy the tiers for cash so someone with a high tier skin could just swipe their mums credit card more than someone who convinces her to pay for just the base battle pass.

But yeah, the only thing you can tell about a player with a battle pass skin is that they bought the battle pass, they bought a thing for money which gives them zero advantage in a game just because it looks pretty, in my opinion... that isn't a "good player" and if anything I would deem it to be a more fun target because when you shoot that person in the head you know they're a person that cares what their head looked like right before it exploded into items.

that is what loot boxes are for and they have done very well without the extra "pass" extra fee. still fuck fees and passes, especially for "free" games. it kinda makes it seem worse.

thread title should read, The Ignorance in supporting this garbage.

well those free games have to make money somewhere, and unless you're happy with an advert playing every 4-5 game you try to join be happy when you see that person walking passed you with flares shooting from his parachute, the shiniest skin you've ever seen and a death animation where tiny fireworks shoot from the holes you put in his head... cos that mess on the ground... that is paying for your game to be free.

Leave them enjoy what they enjoy as they fund the server for the rest of the players.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

For F2p games I'm ok with battle passes but not games like Rocket League that I paid for.

gergroy said:
His concerns seem reasonable and spot on to me. People with careers and families can’t realistically play games on a regular basis. I’m a teacher, and during the school year I barely have time to touch games and I don’t even have a family to worry about.

Well, just play 9 weeks and 6 days and see what you would've unlocked if you had the battle pass. If you're satisfied with the unlocks buy the pass.

OT: Fortnite doesn't offer loot boxes or any other random drops. You only have the OPTION to buy COSMETICS. Unless you have a problem with free to play as a concept, I can't see what Fortnite does wrong.

Replicant said:
gergroy said:
His concerns seem reasonable and spot on to me. People with careers and families can’t realistically play games on a regular basis. I’m a teacher, and during the school year I barely have time to touch games and I don’t even have a family to worry about.

Well, just play 9 weeks and 6 days and see what you would've unlocked if you had the battle pass. If you're satisfied with the unlocks buy the pass.

OT: Fortnite doesn't offer loot boxes or any other random drops. You only have the OPTION to buy COSMETICS. Unless you have a problem with free to play as a concept, I can't see what Fortnite does wrong.

without the pass unlocking the tiers is a lot more difficult as you don't have access to the challenges required to level up through it. It isn't a case of, play it away and see what you would earn... because you wouldn't earn those tiers without it.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Around the Network

The battle pass in Fortnite is perfect. I'm actually surprised Epic lets you earn more V-Bucks than what it costs to buy one. I hope they don't greedy and change that in the future as people would buy it every season just for the other rewards. I invested $13.99 CAD in the game for 1000 V-bucks and I don't plan to put a penny more.

The challenges can be fun as well. It creates action in less popular areas of the map. The weekly challenges alone, which are quite easy, will get any player to Battle Pass level 50-60 in 10 weeks and then you add daily challenges and level up bonuses. It's really not too hard to get to 100 or close. I'm a total n00b and I'm at 99 on my first season with 5 days to go.

I have more of a problem with how much the daily items cost, but it seems there are millions that don't mind paying $20 for a new skin or $10 for a dance/glider/pickaxe and this isn't what this topic is about anyway.

Ganoncrotch said:
Replicant said:

without the pass unlocking the tiers is a lot more difficult as you don't have access to the challenges required to level up through it. It isn't a case of, play it away and see what you would earn... because you wouldn't earn those tiers without it.

Then don't buy the pass. It's just cosmetics anyway. The game offers a ton of fun for free. What more do you want?

If you buy the battle pass after reaching say level 50, you'll instantly have access to all of the unlocks as if you owned the pass from the beginning.

Replicant said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Then don't buy the pass. It's just cosmetics anyway. The game offers a ton of fun for free. What more do you want?

If you buy the battle pass after reaching say level 50, you'll instantly have access to all of the unlocks as if you owned the pass from the beginning.

What I wanted was to point out that the battle pass allows you to go through the tiers faster than not having it.

But... I think there is an issue when you are talking about reaching level 50 for unlocks... but you seem to not know the difference between levels and tiers? they're not related other than stars for leveling up get you advances in tiers.

Ganoncrotch said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

fuck passes, fuck subs, im done with it once i buy the damn game. plain and simple.

Game is free though.

So which is it?

Well, I bought the battle pass not for the skins, but because it adds additional and fun challenges. Like finding the Fortnite-letters or rubber duckies in the map. I like such challenges in a game, it enriches the experience for me. The skins are just added bonus I don't care much about. Different loading screens can be quite nice, although nothing I would drop money for. In result the only thing I bought was the battle pass, not any of the other skins or emotes available. And as I made enough V-Bucks with the current battle pass to get the next one - I'll get it too, again because it will have additional challenges for me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

This is debatable, if the Game is Free like Fortnite Battle Royal is, than its obvious that these things will be charged for and quite frankly, its fair. Nothing is free.