By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Looks like the guys in charge of the survey had great Xmas parties and messed it up a bit once they came back to work .

Who knows, maybe they mixed part of the 1060 and 1660-/Ti data.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Okay, in the last days of January they fixed the December data a bit. And the January data seems to be back on track according to trends of the former months.

I'm happy to see that both Polaris and Navi seem to sell quite well:

• RX Polaris reached 5.3%, R7+R9 together never reached 3.5%
  • Navi 5700/XL almost reached 3x of the Vega56/64 share already.

7.35% of the Steam systems are raytracing compatible... with Ampere + Big Navi RDNA2 that share could double to the end of the year. Add ~15 million raytracing compatible consoles until the end of this year, that seems to be a good hardware base for developers.

Unreal engine 4 and Unity already support it and other popular engines will follow this year. 

Conina said:

Okay, in the last days of January they fixed the December data a bit. And the January data seems to be back on track according to trends of the former months.

I'm happy to see that both Polaris and Navi seem to sell quite well:

• RX Polaris reached 5.3%, R7+R9 together never reached 3.5%
  • Navi 5700/XL almost reached 3x of the Vega56/64 share already.

7.35% of the Steam systems are raytracing compatible... with Ampere + Big Navi RDNA2 that share could double to the end of the year. Add ~15 million raytracing compatible consoles until the end of this year, that seems to be a good hardware base for developers.

Unreal engine 4 and Unity already support it and other popular engines will follow this year. 

Even bigger is the change on the CPU side, as AMD jumped up by almost 2% from 19.38% to 21.36% under Windows (25.18% to 27.11% under Linux), so pretty much a 10% change in just one month. Looks like AMD has finally... Ryzen.

One point in your Data seems wrong though: I checked the  GPU numbers, and AMD RX Vega shows up there with 0.68%, a plus of 0.10% compared to the previous month. Is your data wrong or am I mixing up the APUs with the GPUs here?

I got the Vega (56/64) number wrong, it is 0.35% instead of 0.21%.

The 0.21% were Vega 11 numbers, which I don't count:

I only count dedicated GPUs suited for gaming, so no APUs from Intel or AMD and no Geforce GT-models or MX-models.

Even a GT 1030 or a Vega 11 are still slower than an ancient GTX 750 Ti

This is the one time I actually decided to opt into the Steam HW survey, only a few days ago when they asked. I'll be adding to the 16gb RAM and 1080ti pool.

Last edited by Chazore - on 02 February 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Big gains for Turing GPUs in March... from 13.46% to 15.78%, so 2.4 percentage points or 17.2% increase.

RTX models grew from 7.41% to 9.03%, so 1.6 percentage points or 21.9% increase... every 11th Steam PC now has raytracing capabilities.

Almost one fourth of the surveyed Steam PCs are faster than an Xbox One X, almost half of the surveyed Steam PCs are faster than an PS4 Pro.

1.29% of the surveyed Steam PCs had a VR headset connected (probably a lot of compatible Oculus Quests weren't connected), 11% of them are Valve Index HMDs.

I'm surprised how popular the Index HMD is, but I'm sure giving away Half Life: Alyx has something to do with that.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Good tally as usual, Conina.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JEMC said:
I'm surprised how popular the Index HMD is, but I'm sure giving away Half Life: Alyx has something to do with that.

Giving away a $40 - $50 game if you invest $500 - $1000... I don't know if that is really a deciding factor for such an investment.

Conina said:
JEMC said:

Giving away a $40 - $50 game if you invest $500 - $1000... I don't know if that is really a deciding factor for such an investment.

That was poorly worded from my side. What I meant to say is that for hardcore Half Life fans that have been waiting for years for a new game, I'm sure it was an added bonus that made them finally cave in and buy the VR helmet.

Also, and on another note, Guru3D noticed that, against all odds, Intel processors have raised in the survey and have a theory about why it's that:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/steam-shows-intel-core-cpus-gaining-ground-on-the-processor-install-base-over-amd-ryzen.html