By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Yeah, there will probably be a delay and the real adoption of new hardware is even faster.

But there is nothing we can do about that and the shown trend is positive enough.

Around the Network

Makes sense as to why Turing is going up as we had really strong laptop lineup this year.

Asus G14 with Ryzen + 2060 and Dell XPS 17 with Intel 10th Gen + 2060 have been killer laptops and we won't see 3000 series mobile until next year.

Everyone and their dog wants Ryzen mobile and pairing that up with Nvidia GPUs is pretty much the ultimate fap worthy experience!

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

Conina said:
Yeah, there will probably be a delay and the real adoption of new hardware is even faster.

But there is nothing we can do about that and the shown trend is positive enough.

Yeah, and it's even more noticeable on the CPU side.

If this goes on beyond 2021, then there's a real risk that Intel might drop below 50%, especially under Linux

You know what, I'll make a table for it. I'll update it monthly if I can:

Date Windows Intel Share Change Linux Intel Share Change
03/2020 78.85 73.79
04/2020 78.28 -0.57 72.69 -1.10
05/2020 77.54 -0.74 71.52 -1.17
06/2020 76.84 -0.70 70.46 -1.08
07/2020 76.27 -0.57 69.06 -1.40

Within 5 months the ratio of Linux computers with Intel inside dropped by almost 5%, which is huge. On the Windows side of things, the change is only half as fast, probably due to the dominance Intel had on the laptop sector until Renoir launched.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 09 August 2020

Another 2 percentage points gained by Turing in August: from 19% to 21%.

RTX from almost 10% to almost 11%:

Another 1 percentage point gained by Turing in September: from 21% to 22%.

RTX from 10.9% to 11.4%, Navi from 1.13% to 1.23%, VR headsets from 1.70% to 1.88%.

Almost 30% of the Steam PCs are now faster than an Xbox One X, 11.42% are already raytracing compatible.

Around the Network

It's been a while since I said it so here it comes: thanks for doing all this work, Conina.

It will be interesting to seethe effect of Ampere on the charts but, with all the availability problems the 3080 has had, and the fact that Nvidia's best selling cards are usually the xx60 and xx70 parts, I doubt we'll see much change in the carts for a while.

And then it will be time to Big Navi, but I fear that even if it delivers the promised performance, it will do little to help AMD gain some of the lost ground.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Conina said:

Another 1 percentage point gained by Turing in September: from 21% to 22%.

RTX from 10.9% to 11.4%, Navi from 1.13% to 1.23%, VR headsets from 1.70% to 1.88%.

Almost 30% of the Steam PCs are now faster than an Xbox One X, 11.42% are already raytracing compatible.

Think you're a bit off with your RX Navi percentage since you probably missed that the RX 5500 and RX 5600 finally appeared in the Steam survey, grabbing together some 0.34% of the hardware. So RX Navi should be at 1.57% and AMD HD+R7+R9+RX at 10.94% with those two included.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Think you're a bit off with your RX Navi percentage since you probably missed that the RX 5500 and RX 5600 finally appeared in the Steam survey, grabbing together some 0.34% of the hardware. So RX Navi should be at 1.57% and AMD HD+R7+R9+RX at 10.94% with those two included.

You are right. I fixed it:

Booooring month.

And with the paper launches of Ampere GPUs (and probably also paper launches of RDNA2 GPUs) next month probably won't be more interesting.

I wonder what happened on the CPU side, especially under Linux.

AMD was winning market share quickly over the last couple months, both under Windows and under Linux. But this months, the Windows numbers were almost unchanged while under Linux, AMD lost over 1.5% market share in just one month.

Considering that both NVidia's RTX cards and AMD's Navi cards also dropped down a notch, my guess is that more older PCs got counted this time around and less newer ones.