By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Chrkeller said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats like haveing a mobile 4060, laptop (only slightly weaker, as long as you dont use RT).
People are too scared to buy AMD for some reason....

Honestly, they make great cards.
My pc (that I use for gameing) has a amd one currently, and its running fine.

If your on a budget, getting something like a 6600 xt and a intel 12100f/12400f..... and you have a little but surpriseingly capable pc.

You can pickup a 12400f for 139$ and a 6600xt for like ~199$.

I've always heard of issues with firmware and drivers for AMD.  Is that more of a myth than a reality?  I went intel and nvidia only because I was under the impression things are easier from a compatibility perspective, but I'm also super new to PC gaming.

Firmware/drivers is all myth, they are equal to nvidia in that reguard (maybe 10-15years ago they wheren't, but times have changed, sadly the myth lasts).

The only thing is nvidia is more energy effecient, and has better Raytraceing performance.
However you pay alot more for those things, often times amd offer better bang for buck.... market just doesnt seem to see anything but nvidia.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:

I've always heard of issues with firmware and drivers for AMD.  Is that more of a myth than a reality?  I went intel and nvidia only because I was under the impression things are easier from a compatibility perspective, but I'm also super new to PC gaming.

Firmware/drivers is all myth, they are equal to nvidia in that reguard (maybe 10-15years ago they wheren't, but times have changed, sadly the myth lasts).

The only thing is nvidia is more energy effecient, and has better Raytraceing performance.
However you pay alot more for those things, often times amd offer better bang for buck.... market just doesnt seem to see anything but nvidia.

Makes sense.  Don't get me wrong my 4090 is lovely but bang for buck....  nah.  It was a luxury item that is far from necessary. 

JRPGfan said:
JEMC said:

Hey! Miracles happen.

And a RX 7600S? That's a fairly recent mobile part so, congratulations Boffer!

Thats like haveing a mobile 4060, laptop (only slightly weaker, as long as you dont use RT).

If your on a budget, getting something like a 6600 xt and a intel 12100f/12400f..... and you have a little but surpriseingly capable pc.

My previous card was an AMD one and was very happy with it. Once I get a new one, I'll look for price and performance, not AMD vs Nvidia.

A 6600XT and a low en Intel part is a great combination for a 1080p gaming PC, as long as you're not too picky with the settings.

Chrkeller said:
JRPGfan said:

As other have said, that AMD reputation isn't really representative of what users experience.

Last year, for example, there was a Windows update that would reset AMD's Adrenaline software with every new reboot. Everyone blamed AMD. Some weeks ago Windows had a new update that fixed that issue. But since it came much later, the blame will forever be on AMD.

Meanwhile, while doing the news on the PC thread, I've lost count of all the times there's been a Nvidia hotfix driver because they had messed something up.

So yeah, both companies make mistakes.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Language still the Chinese gain of last month:

Gains for x060 - x070 GPUs:

Still no 4070 Ti Super or 4080 Super data.

Still no other RDNA3 data besides RX 7900 XTX after over a year! Which results in a Ada/RDNA3 ratio of 40:1

Conina said:

Still no other RDNA3 data besides RX 7900 XTX after over a year! Which results in a Ada/RDNA3 ratio of 40:1

So, if it still doesn't show up, where did my GPU land in the survey result?

My guess is that the other 7x00 GPUs are actually the Radeon(TM) Graphics (7900 XT/GRE, 7600(XT), and mobile GPUs), plus possibly also the Radeon (TM) Graphics for the 7700XT and 7800XT. It doesn't really make sense otherwise anyway to have 3 distinct unnumbered Radeon Graphics...

On another note, Valve could clean up and trim their CPU table a bit by combining the <1.4Ghz, 1.4-1.5Ghz and 1.5-1.7Ghz categories together, because even if we add up those three it would still end up being the smallest number in that table. On the other end they could add a column for 3.7-4Ghz (and then of course 4Ghz+

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 02 April 2024

Around the Network

Steam properly tracking AMD GPUs is a lot cause. They don't care.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Yeah, and also don't care enough to get rid of the Chinese cybercafé overcounting problem that keeps popping up

JEMC said:

Yeah, I lost hope that they ever fix it for RDNA3 and try to solve the cybercafe problem.

Probably they only have one guy for that... and this poor soul also has to test thousands of games for Steam Deck compatibility.

I now know why people think PC gaming is a bit superior.

BiON!@