By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Oh no, it's one of these months again... Chinese internet cafés are back:

Around the Network

That sucks, and it happens so often that I can't help but wonder why Steam hasn't done anything to prevent this.

In any case, thanks Conina.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

That sucks, and it happens so often that I can't help but wonder why Steam hasn't done anything to prevent this.

Another thing I can't understand: NVidia already got the SUPER cards in the charts, but anything other than the 7900XTX from this gen on AMD's side is still AWOL. What the heck, Valve?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

Another thing I can't understand: NVidia already got the SUPER cards in the charts, but anything other than the 7900XTX from this gen on AMD's side is still AWOL. What the heck, Valve?

Indeed.

We all know that Nvidia has something like 80% of the market, but Valve has had troubles tracking AMD cards for years, with no signs of improvement.

At this point, like with the cybercafes and stuff, one has to wonder why Valve isn't doing anyhting about it. It's either because they can't do anything, which I honestly doubt, or is it because they don't care enough about it to fix these problems. And if they don't care enough to fix it, then why do they keep doing the survey if it's inherently flawed?

With that said, there might be an explanation as to why cybercafe numbers may eschew the results every now and then. I posted a couple days ago that I had taken the survey again, twice in a month, but that may be because I finally got the parts for my new PC and tested. When I installed Steam, it was when it asked for the second survey so, maybe that's something Steam does with every new PC or account? Because some of those cybercafes open and close all the time, so everytime a new one opens they may take the survey and cause the chaos we see every so often.

Mind you, that still doesn't explain why they have so much trouble with AMD cards.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

After JEMC last month, I got asked today to take part of the steam survey

Looks like Steam does recognize AMD cards, so how come they don't show up in the survey?

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 13 March 2024

Around the Network

Hey! Miracles happen.

And a RX 7600S? That's a fairly recent mobile part so, congratulations Boffer!

JEMC said:

Hey! Miracles happen.

Thats like haveing a mobile 4060, laptop (only slightly weaker, as long as you dont use RT).
People are too scared to buy AMD for some reason....

Honestly, they make great cards.
My pc (that I use for gameing) has a amd one currently, and its running fine.

If your on a budget, getting something like a 6600 xt and a intel 12100f/12400f..... and you have a little but surpriseingly capable pc.

You can pickup a 12400f for 139$ and a 6600xt for like ~199$.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 14 March 2024

JRPGfan said:
JEMC said:

Hey! Miracles happen.

Thats like haveing a mobile 4060, laptop (only slightly weaker, as long as you dont use RT).

If your on a budget, getting something like a 6600 xt and a intel 12100f/12400f..... and you have a little but surpriseingly capable pc.

I've always heard of issues with firmware and drivers for AMD.  Is that more of a myth than a reality?  I went intel and nvidia only because I was under the impression things are easier from a compatibility perspective, but I'm also super new to PC gaming.

Chrkeller said:
JRPGfan said:

I've always heard of issues with firmware and drivers for AMD.  Is that more of a myth than a reality?  I went intel and nvidia only because I was under the impression things are easier from a compatibility perspective, but I'm also super new to PC gaming.

I didn't have any more issues with my RX 7600S than I had before with my GTX 1050Ti; in fact I feel like there are less issues, but I can't say if it's true or just a feeling.

So I'd say it's just a myth anymore. AMD cards did have such issues during the GCN2-GCN3 period which made them get that reputation, but even though it's long resolved, they still can't live that down.

What is acting up is Windows, but not due to the AMD hardware. I live in Luxembourg but bought my laptop in Belgium because I wanted an AZERTY keyboard layout. Lately Windows doesn't understand this and constantly tries to override they keyboard layout from Belgian French to Swiss Luxembourgish, which is a QWERTZ layout and has drastically different positions for special signs, accents and umlauts (Luxembourgish uses both the German Umlaut as well as French accents). Always nice when you find out in the midst of typing your resume that Windows changed the settings, and you have to redo it again...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 14 March 2024

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

I didn't have any more issues with my RX 7600S than I had before with my GTX 1050Ti; in fact I feel like there are less issues, but I can't say if it's true or just a feeling.

So I'd say it's just a myth anymore. AMD cards did have such issues during the GCN2-GCN3 period which made them get that reputation, but even though it's long resolved, they still can't live that down.

What is acting up is Windows, but not due to the AMD hardware. I live in Luxembourg but bought my laptop in Belgium because I wanted an AZERTY keyboard layout. Lately Windows doesn't understand this and constantly tries to override they keyboard layout from Belgian French to Swiss Luxembourgish, which is a QWERTZ layout and has drastically different positions for special signs, accents and umlauts (Luxembourgish uses both the German Umlaut as well as French accents). Always nice when you find out in the midst of typing your resume that Windows changed the settings, and you have to redo it again...

I'm not surprised it is a myth.  I did have some driver issues with my nvidia.

Windows was the biggest pita for me.  It wanted to connect online to install and I wasn't near my router, had to redo the whole thing.