Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy on Switch/Xbone/PC

For a game like Crash Bandicoot, 720p is basically as good as 1080p. It's not like this is a photorealistic game or anything. I somewhat wonder how many people on this board only play Minecraft in 4k, because everything else is clearly inferior.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It should be born in mind that while the game's core design hails from the PS1 era, the graphics in the remaster were built from the ground up for the PS4, so we're effectively talking about a PS4 exclusive ported to a mobile device here.

Getting the game up and running on a system a fraction the size which runs on a fraction the wattage naturally necessitated some changes. To put things in perspective, the PS4 slim draws upwards of 100 watts during gameplay, Switch draws less than 18 watts when docked and even less when portable. Something had to give, and having played Crash on Switch myself, the cutbacks are generally well judged and it's a fine looking game. DF would seem to agree, as they ultimately label the Switch port "pretty good".

Forget all this.

On top of that ONE GUY decided to port a couple levels to the Switch to convince the studio to bring it to switch. The fact that oen guy had to twist  them into doing it just shows how much time, resources and effort went into it anyway.

curl-6 said:

It should be born in mind that while the game's core design hails from the PS1 era, the graphics in the remaster were built from the ground up for the PS4, so we're effectively talking about a PS4 exclusive ported to a mobile device here.

Getting the game up and running on a system a fraction the size which runs on a fraction the wattage naturally necessitated some changes. To put things in perspective, the PS4 slim draws upwards of 100 watts during gameplay, Switch draws less than 18 watts when docked and even less when portable. Something had to give, and having played Crash on Switch myself, the cutbacks are generally well judged and it's a fine looking game. DF would seem to agree, as they ultimately label the Switch port "pretty good".

Considering the game runs at 1080p on the base Xbox One, the PS4 definitely isn't anywhere close to being maxed out with this game.

Barozi said:
curl-6 said:

Considering the game runs at 1080p on the base Xbox One, the PS4 definitely isn't anywhere close to being maxed out with this game.

yup, its something comparable to toad story which runs on 3ds a console 30x less powerful, this game is hardily using ps4 hardware to anywhere near its potential. 

I didn't really enjoy Crash like I'd hoped I would. Still, I'd like to see a 60fps patch on PS4 Pro and XBO X.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I didn't really enjoy Crash like I'd hoped I would. Still, I'd like to see a 60fps patch on PS4 Pro and XBO X.

kinda sad there is No 60fps option, game is based off a ps1 level design with really nothing going on , and extremely small environments, it's a case where they just don't want to put the effort, money  and time to run at 60fps

quickrick said:
d21lewis said:

kinda sad there is No 60fps option, game is based off a ps1 level design with really nothing going on , and extremely small environments, it's a case where they just don't want to put the effort, money  and time to run at 60fps

According to the video, it should be possible. Maybe it'd effect speed running or something so they wanted to keep all consoles consistent. I don't know. But I think it should be considered. Not a deal breaker but a nice little selling point for the upgraded machines.

mZuzek loves Starfox Adventures

d21lewis said:
quickrick said:

According to the video, it should be possible. Maybe it'd effect speed running or something so they wanted to keep all consoles consistent. I don't know. But I think it should be considered. Not a deal breaker but a nice little selling point for the upgraded machines.

its probably a case of the developers not being  ambitious, and just happy with 30fps, don't wanna put in the extra work, even base consoles should run this 60fps.

Last edited by quickrick - on 05 July 2018

The_Liquid_Laser said:
For a game like Crash Bandicoot, 720p is basically as good as 1080p. It's not like this is a photorealistic game or anything. I somewhat wonder how many people on this board only play Minecraft in 4k, because everything else is clearly inferior.

I was playing Minecraft at 1080p with custom shaderpacks and texturepack combos for years. Nothing wrong with that though. 

No furr on Switch version? jeez.
No AA solution either... so jaggies and 720p.
The missing parallax occlusion stands out alot, if you do a side by side.
No reflections either... ambient occlusion.

Texture quality reduction, geometry complexity reduction, folage reduction...

Lots of sacrifices made to get this running 720p on the Switch.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 05 July 2018