By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Naughty Dog Agenda

I couldn’t care less about inclusiveness in games, so long as it doesn’t feel forced, like they’re just doing it for a check in the box and SJW brownie points.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

Damn, the insecurity of people.

ok, I haven't played lost legacy..what Chloe Nadine thing? are they a couple ?

Kinda felt like the trailer was shot the way it was simply to push it to the forefront. Just how it felt to me - especially the dialogue that went with it. I'm sure someone will call me a homophobe now or something...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

It's all what you're desensitized to in media. We have all sorts of tiers of violence, but we don't handle emotions and interactions the same way.

Popular games thrive on conflict and action, generally in the form of violence. We don't see any agenda in it because it is omnipresent. People can deconstruct it afterward, but we don't say, "The character stabbed the enemy in the right eye, that is a commentary on Austrian economic systems".

Maybe Naughty Dog is presenting a view of the world, maybe they do see themselves as a propaganda arm in social engineering. I doubt it. I think they want to explore subject matters and have a differing worldview to many as would be expected given the number of views that exist.

Romance exists, homosexuality exists, you are free to not support it, but I think taking showing something and making that out to mean indoctrination is a leap I don't see.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
twintail said:

Because 2 girls can't kiss?

if it was a dude and girl, or a dude and a dude. I'll still think it's unnecessary.

It's not a first for the series, the left behind DLC had riley and Ellie kiss. Also, you do know human beings kiss, right? it's not some sort of egregious gesture of love, they aren't fingering each other on stage. I guess if you see it as a form of Public display of affection and you're not comfortable with it, then I see your point.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
deskpro2k3 said:

if it was a dude and girl, or a dude and a dude. I'll still think it's unnecessary.

It's not a first for the series, the left behind DLC had riley and Ellie kiss. Also, you do know human beings kiss, right? it's not some sort of egregious gesture of love, they aren't fingering each other on stage. I guess if you see it as a form of Public display of affection and you're not comfortable with it, then I see your point.

I thought the Riley Ellie kiss was fine. Melded well with the story and was sweet. I thought the trailer was shot to maximize social agenda impact. 

Edit: and for that matter - it worked, as I saw multiple sites reporting on "That" kiss.

epicurean said:
Areym said:

I thought the Riley Ellie kiss was fine. Melded well with the story and was sweet. I thought the trailer was shot to maximize social agenda impact. 

Edit: and for that matter - it worked, as I saw multiple sites reporting on "That" kiss.

Maybe it's just me but I do not think about these agendas in the slightest when I game. It's not even in my radar so I didn't see it as pushing some agenda. Besides, even if they are, what are they pushing? the normalization of gay relationships? it's already accepted or at least tolerated, aside from the religious groups pushing their OWN agenda on something it doesn't even affect them on a personal level.

I will give you that the kiss didn't mean much and it had more of a WOW factor than anything else. I hope it is more meaningful during the context of the story and their relationship.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
epicurean said:

Maybe it's just me but I do not think about these agendas in the slightest when I game. It's not even in my radar so I didn't see it as pushing some agenda. Besides, even if they are, what are they pushing? the normalization of gay relationships? it's already accepted or at least tolerated, aside from the religious groups pushing their OWN agenda on something it doesn't even affect them on a personal level.

I will give you that the kiss didn't mean much and it had more of a WOW factor than anything else. I hope it is more meaningful during the context of the story and their relationship.

We're on the same page here - I'm not especially bothered by it - but it was done specifically for a reason. It is what it is. I agree that hopefully context in the game makes it seem more worthwhile.

deskpro2k3 said:
in the last of us part 2, I feel the kissing part was unnecessary. that's all what I think about it.

You think it is unnecessary because you arent a master class game developer.