By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that Completely Changed a Developer's Reputation

I'd like to pinpoint the rise and decline of Rareware, I think it can be argued that DKC really put them on the map, they had a long period of decent success mixed with failures even before they were called Rareware, but I don't think any of that compared to how their status changed after DKC.

I can't narrow their downfall to a single game, maybe Grabbed by the Ghoulies or perhaps Starfox Adventures, it could be Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts that finally made fans give up but it seemed like a long period of continual disappointment.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Wasn't being bought by EA that killed Maxi's?

iNot at the time. Keep in mind they got bought up in the mid 90's, when EA was still one of the best publishers. Under EA leadership Maxis first brought out Sim City 3000, then the first Sims, both very acclaimed titles. It's only with The Sims 3 that it began to tarnish

I didn't know it was so long ago,

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Landale_Star said:
I'd like to pinpoint the rise and decline of Rareware, I think it can be argued that DKC really put them on the map, they had a long period of decent success mixed with failures even before they were called Rareware, but I don't think any of that compared to how their status changed after DKC.

I can't narrow their downfall to a single game, maybe Grabbed by the Ghoulies or perhaps Starfox Adventures, it could be Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts that finally made fans give up but it seemed like a long period of continual disappointment.

I would say even since Battletoads they were considered very talented

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Landale_Star said:

Oh they had their fans before DKC for sure, even when they were Ultimate Play the Game making games for 8 bit computers they were well regarded by niches of gamers but after DKC they were seen as Nintendo's greatest external asset, and for many gamers, as much of a reason to buy a Nintendo console as Nintendo's own games.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 02 July 2018

Landale_Star said:
DonFerrari said:

Oh they had their fans before DKC for sure, even when they were Ultimate Play the Game making games for 8 bit computers they were well regarded by niches of gamers but after DKC they were seen as Nintendo's greatest external asset, and for many gamers, as much of a reason to buy a Nintendo console as Nintendo's own games.

Well I would consider Battle Toads, but sure I can accept that DKC made they very highly regarded among Nintendo fans.

Around the Network

Naughty Dog due to Uncharted 2
Rockstar Games by Grand Theft Auto III
Insomniac Games because of Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
Infinity Ward thanks to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Ubisoft caused by Assassin's Creed II

Mr_No said:
Naughty Dog due to Uncharted 2
Rockstar Games by Grand Theft Auto III
Insomniac Games because of Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
Infinity Ward thanks to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Ubisoft caused by Assassin's Creed II Just Dance

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Time to add some originality into the mix and go with ...

Yacht Club Games ... unknown indie dev to probably the biggest name in the indie industry right now with Shovel Knight

Tobie Fox ... unknown guy making roms of Earthbound to the creator of one of the biggest indie phenomenon in the gaming space with Undertale

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Criterion Games - Burnout 3
Bethesda Game Studios - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Treyarch - Call of Duty: Black Ops
Rockstar North - Grand Theft Auto III
Bungie - Halo: Combat Evolved
Bungie - Destiny

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Clover Studios/Platinum Games: Viewtiful Joe, or maybe Okami.

Konami: MGSV took them down. Not because of the game, but because of the way they dealt with Kojima and the staff at Kojima studios.

SNK - I'd say KOF XIV has gotten them back on the map to where they were during the SNES days.

Bethesda: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion made them into a mainstream developer. Skyrim made them top-tier.

THQ: WCW vs. NWO: World Tour on the N64 made them respectable, Udraw killed them.