By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that Completely Changed a Developer's Reputation

Retro and Metroid Prime - I remember at the time no one knew what to expect and I'm pretty sure it got mostly 9/10 scores while updating a beloved 2D game to 3D.



Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:
Too Human was a disaster for Silicon Knights, and that along with X-Men: Destiny killed them altogether.

Did they really have a reputation beforehand though? I know they ceased to exist after, but they weren't exactly a well liked/known developer anyway, were they?

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem had pretty dedicated followings.



Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:
Too Human was a disaster for Silicon Knights, and that along with X-Men: Destiny killed them altogether.

Did they really have a reputation beforehand though? I know they ceased to exist after, but they weren't exactly a well liked/known developer anyway, were they?

Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes had raised their profile.  I think Too Human and the subsequent years showed how valuable Nintendo was for them.



Nymeria said:
Retro and Metroid Prime - I remember at the time no one knew what to expect and I'm pretty sure it got mostly 9/10 scores while updating a beloved 2D game to 3D.

That was their first ever game though, did they really have a reputation beforehand?



Anyone heard of Rocksteady's first game, Urban Chaos: Riot Response? Yeah. They jumped about 10 levels with Arkham Asylum.



Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Nymeria said:
Retro and Metroid Prime - I remember at the time no one knew what to expect and I'm pretty sure it got mostly 9/10 scores while updating a beloved 2D game to 3D.

That was their first ever game though, did they really have a reputation beforehand?

Fair enough, I guess the fall of Rare from Nintendo peers to what they are now was pretty dramatic decade fall.



Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:
Too Human was a disaster for Silicon Knights, and that along with X-Men: Destiny killed them altogether.

Did they really have a reputation beforehand though? I know they ceased to exist after, but they weren't exactly a well liked/known developer anyway, were they?

They are listed for Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Hello Games with No Man's Sky pretty much killed their reputation. They've never been the same since.



I apologize for the spelling errors in the OP. Blame autocorrect!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Fei-Hung said:
Hello Games with No Man's Sky pretty much killed their reputation. They've never been the same since.

what reputation they had before?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."