By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How could Nintendo implement a Switch Pro?

Pyro as Bill said:

I'm getting flashbacks of people clamouring for a HD Wii with HD Zelda and AAA 3rd party support.

Mario Party has already given us an idea of how portable 4K can be done with Switch.

9x300=$2700

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Medisti said:
I'm leaning enhanced dock, myself. It would be possible for the raw mathematical data to be sent from the console itself and translated in a secondary GPU in the dock to output in 4K without needing to patch games. Problem would be the unchanged textures, though. They would be hideous.

Your basically talking about an upscaler in this scenario. It is pointless to upscale bad textures as you said.

Any upgrade the switch gets would be pointless.

The dock solution needs to be designed from the ground up with the next system to actually make it worth while. a small boost is a waste of money. It needs to be a big boost like a xbox one to xbox one x kind of boost.

That's what some said about the New 3DS. It's sold nearly as much as the OG one now.

VGPolyglot said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I'm getting flashbacks of people clamouring for a HD Wii with HD Zelda and AAA 3rd party support.

Mario Party has already given us an idea of how portable 4K can be done with Switch.

9x300=$2700

Bargain compared to Apple products. It theoretically could support up to 36 players so it's only $75 each.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Conina said:
JEMC said:
I don't think they'll launch a Switch Pro. Devs already have to work with two configurations for their games, and adding a third one will only make the optimization more complicated.

I doubt that. If the games are already made with scalability in mind (Switch undocked/docked, XBO S/X, PS4 Slim/Pro, dynamic resolutions and dynamic effects), adding a third or fourth configuration should be very easy, especially if the additional version is more performant than the base version.

It should be easy, but not straightforward, requiring time and resources that some publishers may not want to spend.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

KBG29 said:

It is just a matter of if they want to do it or not. Nvidia has a chip already that offers exactly what you discribed from a Supercharger Switch, in the Tegra X2. It would be quite easy for them to make a larger SOC for a bigger home only box, adding more CUDA cores, and increasing clock speeds, and using HBM or GDDR. Everything they need is available, it is just a matter of funding it, and putting it to the market.

Honestly this is the point every company is at. AMD, Intel, and Nvidia all have the tech to make a range of products, that spans Mobile, to High End Home Equipment. It is just a matter of companies deciding to put their money into it, and then consumers getting on board. At this point Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, Amazon, Google, Samsung, and a few others could easily offer a range of Portables, Mobiles, Tablets, Laptops, Consoles, and PC's, that are all part of a unified ecosystem. It is just a matter of who does it best at this point. Within the next decade, you will be able to play your games on the ecosystem of your choice, via the device of your choice within said ecosystem. Purchase once, play anywhere.

As a gamer, I hope that either Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo do it right first, and get a large share of the market. So I hope Nintendo does expand and succeed. The last thing I want is Google, Apple, or Samsung taking the rest of the gaming marketshare away from SNM, and seeing them destroy the gaming space like they have done with the mobile space.

Day in and day out with the complete and utter nonsense. Despite how many people tell you otherwise, and have provided countless reasons why your assertions are not only not factual, but not realistic. You have been pouting this for years now, and despite the fact that the years go by and product after product comes out that flies in the face of your predictions (You predicted the Switch would be 2-4 completely different devices, not one) you keep acting like this is just around the corner.

How much longer are you willing to wait before you give up on this pipe dream of yours?

Around the Network

If they simply released a dock with an extra GPU or something to boost performance and resolution on dock mode it would be great. That way it wouldn’t upset early owners and be very accessible (could be $120 or something). It would also serve as a simple option for those who want a better performance on TV.

Btw, they should launch it later next year with Pokémon RPG.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
If they simply released a dock with an extra GPU or something to boost performance and resolution on dock mode it would be great. That way it wouldn’t upset early owners and be very accessible (could be $120 or something). It would also serve as a simple option for those who want a better performance on TV.

Btw, they should launch it later next year with Pokémon RPG.

If this is possible (and I'm not sure it is), you think Nintendo would offer it for only $20 more than they charge for the existing dock? Okay.

I don't think Nintendo would do this. The Switch is already fractured into two modes, docked and undocked. I believe they will revise the system, but not with more power.

I think the Switch could have more battery life and a few other cosmetic changes. But not a "Pro" version. Anything is possible, but this is unlikely to happen.

Pyro as Bill said:
VGPolyglot said:

9x300=$2700

Bargain compared to Apple products. It theoretically could support up to 36 players so it's only $75 each.

You're not making a point about something being a bargain if you have to compare it to Apple. You're making it a point that it's overpriced.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Medisti said:
Cobretti2 said:

Your basically talking about an upscaler in this scenario. It is pointless to upscale bad textures as you said.

Any upgrade the switch gets would be pointless.

The dock solution needs to be designed from the ground up with the next system to actually make it worth while. a small boost is a waste of money. It needs to be a big boost like a xbox one to xbox one x kind of boost.

That's what some said about the New 3DS. It's sold nearly as much as the OG one now.

The New 3DS is different. Because the additional power was, for the most part, only used for the improved 3D effect, that used face tracking. The majority of games coming out have not used the additional power for themselves. It didn't fracture the library. Developers didn't change the code of games, the improved 3D was in and of itself. Very different when compared to a "Switch Pro".