By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Isn't Hollow knight getting as much talked about as Ori and the Blind Forest got Praised for It's exclusivity as Xbox?

Should Hollow Knight get as much praise as Cuphead?

Yes 19 57.58%

No 14 42.42%

Total:33
vivster said:
JRPGfan said:

Its because of gameplay and graphics.... theres a vast gulf there.

^ this is not even remotely close how gorgeous Ori and the blind forrest looks.

Have you seen Hollow Knight in motion and with sound? That screenshot doesn't do it justice at all. Ori may have a few more flashy 3D effects but at least Hollow Knight looks visually cohesive.

But let's not kid ourselves, game quality has absolutely nothing to do with the different popularity here.

I figured it's mostly that Xbox had a big showcase for Ori at their E3, and showcased shit all else as usual.

Easy to be a big fish in a small pond.

Around the Network

I don't know, but Hollow Knight is an amazing game which everyone should try.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

wombat123 said:
Probably because Cuphead and Ori were brand new games when released on the xbox while Hollow Knight is a year-and-a-half old PC port. That being said, it was #2 in the US eShop last week so people care about it.

That, and in the case of Cuphead, it's very unique art style of interbellum animated comics - and oldschool difficulty.

But also because Xbox didn't have much other exclusives, so of course they promoted those games quite a bit, a problem that's just nonexistent on a Nintendo platform (where it's the AAA support instead)

JRPGfan said:

Its because of gameplay and graphics.... theres a vast gulf there.

^ this is not even remotely close how gorgeous Ori and the blind forrest looks.

Preference ≠ fact

They are completely different art-styles, Ori is vibrant and hugely detailed, whereas Hollow Knight is what you'd get if you gave Gullermo del Toro a set of colouring pencils.

I completed Ori a while back and am only 2 or 3 hours into Hollow Knight but I'm def leaning towards the latter as my style of choice. It just exudes this kind of cute yet unsettling weirdness. Both are great though.

It's not an exclusive if it's available on another platform.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

I figured it's mostly that Xbox had a big showcase for Ori at their E3, and showcased shit all else as usual.

Thats strange because i forgot Ori was even shown at this E3, way too many games to get excited about. I felt Ori wasnt hyped enough because there masterpieces.

Azzanation said:
Shaunodon said:

Thats strange because i forgot Ori was even shown at this E3, way too many games to get excited about. I felt Ori wasnt hyped enough because there masterpieces.

I was talking about the first Ori.

dx11332sega said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Preference ≠ fact

They are completely different art-styles, Ori is vibrant and hugely detailed, whereas Hollow Knight is what you'd get if you gave Gullermo del Toro a set of colouring pencils.

I completed Ori a while back and am only 2 or 3 hours into Hollow Knight but I'm def leaning towards the latter as my style of choice. It just exudes this kind of cute yet unsettling weirdness. Both are great though.

Maybe Hollow Knight story doesn't come close to Ori and the blind Forest I did check hollow Night on PC its in the 80's meta while Switch is 93? 

Portability could add a few points. Bugs smoothed out, dlc added, improved features, ect. IDK, those all could be things that raise score if true, but more than likely it is just the case of console reviewers always giving games higher scores.

Probably the fanbases.

You give a console game a 10/10 or 9/10 you are praised and loved, or actually more than likely ignored. If you give a lower than a 9, you are attacked and hated for being a troll.

If you give a PC game a 10/10, it is the opposite. The PC gamers will attack and hate on you for giving a shit game a perfect score cause it has bugs, no mod support, isn't $5 ect. 

Feels like when I look at reviews that PC gamers want a more honest critical review versus console gamers wanting a fanboy 10/10 bragging rights review. And so reviewers play to their crowd. Not saying PC game reviewers are better reviewers, just saying pc gamers think they are due to the scores seeming more grounded than every game getting a 9/10.

edit: Also with mods, reviewers or they know their fans are not so much impressed by a new games graphics cause they can make Skyrim look as good as say God of War.

Last edited by irstupid - on 26 June 2018

dx11332sega said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Preference ≠ fact

Maybe Hollow Knight story doesn't come close to Ori and the blind Forest I did check hollow Night on PC its in the 80's meta while Switch is 93? 

I don't remember Ori's story being anything particularly remarkable. The way in which it presents it's story is nice, though I wouldn't say it was a big part of the game overall. Hollow Knight (what I've played so far) seems low on story-telling 'scenes', choosing instead to present its narrative through the character's dialogue, which so far I've found to show the same quirky charm as the visuals. If the game continues as it started then I'd say there will be a lot more world-building & lore than on Ori - which obviously contributes to the story-telling.

I do however remember Ori's controls seeming tighter - not sure if this is because I've yet to unlock most of Hollow Knights abilities or if it's because I'm playing through steam link, which may be introducing a bit of delay, or (most likely) the controls aren't as tight as Ori's...

I really like the artstyle, music and storytelling of Ori. It's an outstanding Metroidvania game with sometimes frustrating gameplay and difficulty spikes. Haven't played Hollow Knight yet, but the artstyle keeps me away from trying it. Although the gameplay seemed to be pretty much fun...