By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Isn't Hollow knight getting as much talked about as Ori and the Blind Forest got Praised for It's exclusivity as Xbox?

Should Hollow Knight get as much praise as Cuphead?

Yes 19 57.58%

No 14 42.42%

Total:33
Azuren said:
The short answer is because Nintendo first party outshines Indies.

That maybe true. The fact is that due to their software output MS has pushed certain indies and other titles they have exclusive rights on (limited or not) very hard. In comparison while Nintendo does push indies, they don't support them as heavily for the most part. 

Also Hollow Knight has been expected on consoles for a while and it dropped on the same day Fortnite and Paladins dropped on the system. which Both of those games play very well given the supposed limitations of the Switch hardware .

Around the Network

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 26 June 2018

never heard of it until this thread...looked into it and its now downloading :)

think-man said:
It's not an exclusive if it's available on another platform.

You should know by now that only matters depending on the situation.

The same people who will be downplaying an Xbox exclusive cause its also coming to Windows 10, will be bragging about a PlayStation game being exclusive even though its coming to PC

I'll never understand why people brag about one Indie game or another, being exclusive to a particular console. I mean, you can play those games on any old PC. Even a $100 notebook thingy will do. For me, exclusives are all about justifying the purchase of the console. Did I increase the number of quality games I have access to, by buying this console? If the answer is yes, then I'm satisfied with my purchase. But buying an Xbox One, or Switch doesn't suddenly give me access to any of these games. Because, like most people in western society, I already own a PC capable of running them.

But to really answer OP's question...

"Why didn't Hollow Knight get hyped up by Nintendo fans as much as Ori/Cuphead were hyped up by Xbox fans?"

Because, Nintendo fans have so many great Nintendo exclusives, that Indie games are small potatoes. Meanwhile Xbox really just gets Gears, Forza, and Halo still. So Nintendo fans aren't grasping for whatever ammo they can get their hands on.

That, and there was virtually no buildup, or marketing push towards Hollow Knight for Switch. MS on the other hand, kept talking about both of their Indie "exclusives", because they, like their fans, were grasping for whatever ammo they could use.

Edit: This also explains why, MS gave so much marketing attention to Super Lucky's Tale. It was a game that shouldn't have been the smallest blip on anybody's radar. But there it was. Sitting next to all MS' big guns, at several serious gaming expos. 

TL/DR: Cuphead, and Ori get so much praise, because MS heavily marketed them. This caused MS fans to buy into the hype and praise the games even more. Nintendo didn't do this with Hollow Knight. Because Nintendo isn't grasping for ammo in the same way that MS has been. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 26 June 2018

Around the Network
irstupid said:
think-man said:
It's not an exclusive if it's available on another platform.

You should know by now that only matters depending on the situation.

The same people who will be downplaying an Xbox exclusive cause its also coming to Windows 10, will be bragging about a PlayStation game being exclusive even though its coming to PC

The only kinds of exclusives that matter are true exclusives.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Still waiting for it on Vita... or at least PS4.

This game is Awesome !!

Hollow Knight is not exclusive though....

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

1.How do we measure what fans are hyping?
2. Assuming the premise is correct, and the other two games were more hyped:
Ori: I have no idea, barely even heard of it hence question 1.
Cuphead: this game is marketed very well with the music and art style. I am actually a little surprised it took off with the XBox audience, but even so the game's style is i mediately eye catching. Hollow Knight, not so much I saw the E3 announcement but I already forgot what it looks like. Both games also have lousy titles, but Cuphead is at least memorable, hollow knight is both a cliche (knigts are everywhere in gaming)and self deprecating (hollow is not strong or positive word). Good game title? Rocket League. Rockets are awesome, and league tells you it is a competitive, sportsy title.

edit: serious question for Hollow Knight players: is the gameplay as tight as a classic 8 or 16 bit pkatformer?  I rewatched the trailer and it looks kind of floaty to me.

Last edited by couchmonkey - on 27 June 2018