By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 9 June 2018

KLAMarine said:
FentonCrackshell said:
PS4 still doing great numbers! If only the Fortnite backlash wasn’t effecting sales.

Intrinsic said:
PS4 would have don 230k instead of 228k but fortnite happened.

Did someone claim the Fortnite situation would have said effect?

I don’t think so. In fact, I think it was quite the opposite. People claimed the Fortnite situation will have no effect at all. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Pretty much what I expected. Switch only barely above XB1 in North America. It will probably drop below XB1 sales before the end of the year. The Switch train is going to keep running out of steam until Pokemon comes out.

Did Microsoft announce $199 for the rest of the year or something??

Liquid Laser has some very weird ideas about switch sales. First he thinks it's going to sell well over 155m, but he also thinks it's going to sell like crap this year. At least he's stuck to those predictions I guess.

Intrinsic said:
LipeJJ said:

Can you blame it tho? We all know Nintendo sales grow the most during the holidays, and this year the heavy hitters are all releasing in that period, unlike 2017. If sales don’t explode by the end of the year, then we can be sure this is it. But we can’t expect sales to be better than they are now (which are pretty good) when the biggest release for months is Mario Tennis...

There are quite a few big hitters for the PS4 around the end of the year too you know? 

Spiderman and RDR2. 

And there is always that possibility we will see the PS4 for as little as $199 at some point in the fall also. 

I’m not comparing it to PS4 here, just saying that after this holidays the Switch baseline should/could significantly grow compared to what we have so far this year, due to the reasons I mentioned (especially the 2 juggernaut system sellers that are also evergreen titles).

But since you mentioned that, I don’t think those titles will have the kind of impact on PS4 this late that Pokémon and Smash will cause on Switch.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

FentonCrackshell said:
KLAMarine said:

Did someone claim the Fortnite situation would have said effect?

I don’t think so. In fact, I think it was quite the opposite. People claimed the Fortnite situation will have no effect at all. 

its been mixed actually some say it will hurt sales, some say it won't, some say it might.

Still waiting for the 80 million announcement from sony. 

quickrick said:
FentonCrackshell said:

its been mixed actually some say it will hurt sales, some say it won't, some say it might.

I don’t think it’ll hurt. I don’t think many are buying PS4 in order to play a game that can be played on basically every format imaginable. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
quickrick said:

I don’t think it’ll hurt. I don’t think many are buying PS4 in order to play a game that can be played on basically every format imaginable. 

Well they were saying it makes them look bad in the gaming community, and that reason only.

I thought that whole fortnite thing was gonna make everyone leave the ps4 but wait they can't...

Another easy week for ps4. Increasing the huge gap over its rivals. Outselling xb1 almost 3 to 1. The fortnite outcry won't change a thing. In fact thanks to fortnite Sony will outsell the competition by even more soon enough thanks to this badass bundle. Sony are genius. 

BTW allowing crossplay could hurt sales not help it. Having to buy a ps4 to play with your friends is a huge selling point and it's no wonder ms have been trying so hard to remove that advantage. Sony will stick to their guns. At best they will allow switch along with pc and Mobile but never xbox. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Pretty much what I expected. Switch only barely above XB1 in North America. It will probably drop below XB1 sales before the end of the year. The Switch train is going to keep running out of steam until Pokemon comes out.

Check the NPD prediction thread and you can see that XBO got boosted by the 80$ pricecut for the S and 50$ for the X. It's not the Switch sales that dropped, but the Xbox sales that jumped up with the promotion and good E3 show.

Next week will be similar (with slightly rising PS4 and Switch sales from their Shows), but the week after that will be interesting. In the NPD predicition thread (which has been spot on with Switch and PS4 sales until now), PS4 daily sales started to drop below Switch daily sales since the 50$ promotion of the PRO ended. Granted, the advantage is small and won't be enough to keep Sony from winning another NPD, but it shows that the dry season for the Switch is over and sales are recovering from their spring low. A similar thing can be seen in Japan too, where the Switch sales went up every week for 6 weeks straight, going from 30k to 48k

Bofferbrauer2 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Check the NPD prediction thread and you can see that XBO got boosted by the 80$ pricecut for the S and 50$ for the X. It's not the Switch sales that dropped, but the Xbox sales that jumped up with the promotion and good E3 show.

Next week will be similar (with slightly rising PS4 and Switch sales from their Shows), but the week after that will be interesting. In the NPD predicition thread (which has been spot on with Switch and PS4 sales until now), PS4 daily sales started to drop below Switch daily sales since the 50$ promotion of the PRO ended. Granted, the advantage is small and won't be enough to keep Sony from winning another NPD, but it shows that the dry season for the Switch is over and sales are recovering from their spring low. A similar thing can be seen in Japan too, where the Switch sales went up every week for 6 weeks straight, going from 30k to 48k

Didn't notice the XB1 price drop was temporary.  It may not surpass the Switch after all in NA.  I don't expect the "dry season" to really end for Switch sales though, not until the holidays.  Mario Tennis isn't really going to move hardware like Smash Bros or Pokemon Let's Go.