By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 9 June 2018

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Check the NPD prediction thread and you can see that XBO got boosted by the 80$ pricecut for the S and 50$ for the X. It's not the Switch sales that dropped, but the Xbox sales that jumped up with the promotion and good E3 show.

Next week will be similar (with slightly rising PS4 and Switch sales from their Shows), but the week after that will be interesting. In the NPD predicition thread (which has been spot on with Switch and PS4 sales until now), PS4 daily sales started to drop below Switch daily sales since the 50$ promotion of the PRO ended. Granted, the advantage is small and won't be enough to keep Sony from winning another NPD, but it shows that the dry season for the Switch is over and sales are recovering from their spring low. A similar thing can be seen in Japan too, where the Switch sales went up every week for 6 weeks straight, going from 30k to 48k

Didn't notice the XB1 price drop was temporary.  It may not surpass the Switch after all in NA.  I don't expect the "dry season" to really end for Switch sales though, not until the holidays.  Mario Tennis isn't really going to move hardware like Smash Bros or Pokemon Let's Go.

The thing is, it's not just Mario Tennis Aces. With it comes a lot of third party titles (not just Indies like most of the games in the months prior), third party exclusives (Octopath Traveler, Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate) and some awaited DLC for Splatoon 2 and XC2. While there's not much from Nintendo themselves, having all these games releasing in that timeframe more than makes up for that.

Oh, in case you're wondering what 3rd party titles I meant: Wolfenstein II, Crash Bandicoot, Shining Resonance, Sonic Mania Plus, Megaman X Legacy collection 1+2, Overcooked 2, Okami, Dragonball Fighter Z, Dark Souls, Valkiria Chronicles 4, Disgaea 1, Steins;Gate Elite, Super Neptunia RPG; all these titles are supposed to come out until the end of September (2 only have a Q3 release date) and is a much bigger lineup than what Switch had until then in terms of third party support.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Another easy week for ps4. Increasing the huge gap over its rivals. Outselling xb1 almost 3 to 1. The fortnite outcry won't change a thing. In fact thanks to fortnite Sony will outsell the competition by even more soon enough thanks to this badass bundle. Sony are genius. 

BTW allowing crossplay could hurt sales not help it. Having to buy a ps4 to play with your friends is a huge selling point and it's no wonder ms have been trying so hard to remove that advantage. Sony will stick to their guns. At best they will allow switch along with pc and Mobile but never xbox. 

This has practically been PS4's only selling point this gen. Money$oft is just upset because that was their advantage yesteryear.

Kerotan said:

Another easy week for ps4. Increasing the huge gap over its rivals. Outselling xb1 almost 3 to 1. The fortnite outcry won't change a thing. In fact thanks to fortnite Sony will outsell the competition by even more soon enough thanks to this badass bundle. Sony are genius. 

BTW allowing crossplay could hurt sales not help it. Having to buy a ps4 to play with your friends is a huge selling point and it's no wonder ms have been trying so hard to remove that advantage. Sony will stick to their guns. At best they will allow switch along with pc and Mobile but never xbox. 

There's a point where companies should think about the consumers. We shouldn't be supporting Sony's anti consumerism 

MasonADC said:
Kerotan said:

There's a point where companies should think about the consumers. We shouldn't be supporting Sony's anti consumerism 

I'm more then happy having as little crossplay as possible. I turn it off if possible as it creates more problems on games then it creates for me. I believe if people want to play with or against me they should buy a ps4 and not another console. 

Sony think this too and its definitely a big selling point for the ps4. So many have no reason to buy an xbox when they can't play with their friends but if it had crossplay many would and Sony would lose sales to MS. 

MS wouldn't do this last gen when they were doing well so it's a bit rich of them to expect Sony to do it now. 

Kerotan said:
MasonADC said:

I'm more then happy having as little crossplay as possible. I turn it off if possible as it creates more problems on games then it creates for me. I believe if people want to play with or against me they should buy a ps4 and not another console. 

Sony think this too and its definitely a big selling point for the ps4. So many have no reason to buy an xbox when they can't play with their friends but if it had crossplay many would and Sony would lose sales to MS. 

MS wouldn't do this last gen when they were doing well so it's a bit rich of them to expect Sony to do it now. 

What problems does crossplay creates? Again, there is a point where companies should think about the players, ESPICALLY when your tag line is "for the players", and not "for our players". And if denying crossplay is bad enough, what about locking your account to PSN? That is where the biggest issue is at IMO. Let's just hope this doesn't come back for Sony next generation. 

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
Kerotan said:

What problems does crossplay creates? Again, there is a point where companies should think about the players, ESPICALLY when your tag line is "for the players", and not "for our players". And if denying crossplay is bad enough, what about locking your account to PSN? That is where the biggest issue is at IMO. Let's just hope this doesn't come back for Sony next generation. 

This only a problem with one game, the issue will be resolved. As for crossplay its not gonna happen, sony has a massive community WW locked in to there PSN subscription, why would they ruin it, unless they had too. 

Last edited by quickrick - on 26 June 2018

Kerotan said:

When Sony had the market by the balls, not having crossplay with it's main competitor (and pretty much only at the time, poor Wii U) was beneficial for Sony. But now that Switch is quickly getting a very serious contender and visibly teaming up with Microsoft in Minecraft, it's going to make more harm than good.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Kerotan said:

When Sony had the market by the balls, not having crossplay with it's main competitor (and pretty much only at the time, poor Wii U) was beneficial for Sony. But now that Switch is quickly getting a very serious contender and visibly teaming up with Microsoft in Minecraft, it's going to make more harm than good.

Minecraft crossplay on Xbox and Switch?
That'd be spicy.

Yikes, Xbox selling half of Switch.

Double sales on the one of the three P/X/P release trio, and yet it still isn't getting anything from people.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

quickrick said:
MasonADC said:

This only a problem with one game, the issue will be resolved. As for crossplay its not gonna happen, sony has a massive community WW locked in to there PSN subscription, why would they ruin it, unless they had too. 

Considering fortnite doesn't require a subscription, I don't see an issue here.