By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

Again, it's not uncontrollable, it can be managed. And yes, I am saying that racism and ableism against autistics are both bad, I don't know why you find that so hard to grasp.

They can manage it, but it's still there under the surface because no matter how it's rebranded, it's still a disorder. And you can call it ableist all you want, but you're still conflating a disease that affects the very core of a person to a skin color. But go ahead and hide behind that new -ism.

Yep, autism is something you're born with that you can't rid yourself of, much like your race. So being attacked because of either is unfair and should not be done.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

They can manage it, but it's still there under the surface because no matter how it's rebranded, it's still a disorder. And you can call it ableist all you want, but you're still conflating a disease that affects the very core of a person to a skin color. But go ahead and hide behind that new -ism.

Yep, autism is something you're born with that you can't rid yourself of, much like your race. So being attacked because of either is unfair and should not be done.

You did it again. You're comparing a medical condition to a race. How on Earth are you justifying that in your head as not bigoted? You can hide behind all the isms you want, but you're still the one saying that black people are like a disease (and yeah, the International Classification of Diseases says it's still a disease. I'd figure you of all people would sooner opt for international standards rather than American ones).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

You did it again. You're comparing a medical condition to a race. How on Earth are you justifying that in your head as not bigoted? You can hide behind all the isms you want, but you're still the one saying that black people are like a disease (and yeah, the International Classification of Diseases says it's still a disease. I'd figure you of all people would sooner opt for international standards rather than American ones).

Bigoted Maybe in your mind where being autistic is considered a bad thing, but I for one don't think that autism is inherently a bad thing, in fact it allows for unique perspectives.

VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

Bigoted Maybe in your mind where being autistic is considered a bad thing, but I for one don't think that autism is inherently a bad thing, in fact it allows for unique perspectives.

I'm in a mind where you're implying that the racial stereotypes of black people is tantamount to a disease and can only be helped by medication and therapy. Which is a pretty bigoted thing to say.

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'm in a mind where you're implying that the racial stereotypes of black people is tantamount to a disease and can only be helped by medication and therapy. Which is a pretty bigoted thing to say.

Ah yes, the person who complains of black people getting more representation in the media and who says that society is discriminatory against straight white males is going to tell me that I'm bigoted against blacks because I gave examples of racist people I knew considering blackness to be a negative trait as a comparison to how people use autism as a negative trait

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Aeolus451 said:

That's because you're taking it as literally as possible to where it's offensive regardless of context. Context matters more than the word itself. Also, people are more than able to disassociate a word from its original meaning to mean something else. Take your use of homophobe as an example of that. 😽

In what context does autistic not mean autistic? Like are there seriously people that use that word that don't know what autism is?

You can answer that yourself. 

People not knowing a definition has nothing to do with it.

VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

Ah yes, the person who complains of black people getting more representation in the media and who says that society is discriminatory against straight white males is going to tell me that I'm bigoted against blacks because I gave examples of racist people I knew considering blackness to be a negative trait as a comparison to how people use autism as a negative trait

And game. Took you a while to imply I'm bigoted with no evidence. Little nugget of truth before I leave you in the ruins of your ideology:

Finn is, hands down, the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. It's a shame shitty characters get all the spotlight.

Aeolus451 said:
VGPolyglot said:

In what context does autistic not mean autistic? Like are there seriously people that use that word that don't know what autism is?

It has everything to do with it, how can people who know what autistic means and use it as an insult you can't possibly be using it any other way.

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

And game. Took you a while to imply I'm bigoted with no evidence. Little nugget of truth before I leave you in the ruins of your ideology:

Finn is, hands down, the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. It's a shame shitty characters get all the spotlight.

OK, want evidence? OK then, here you are complaining about more blacks being in Far Cry 5:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8806893

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8807079

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8807824

And you talking about discrimination against white males:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8807950

By the way, I do indeed believe that I am a bit racist, in fact I fall under the belief that everyone who grows up in a racist society will at least subconsciously be racist (i.e. every society essentially).

VGPolyglot said:
Aeolus451 said:

It has everything to do with it, how can people who know what autistic means and use it as an insult you can't possibly be using it any other way.

Azuren said:

OK, want evidence? OK then, here you are complaining about more blacks being in Far Cry 5:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8806893

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8807079

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8807824

And you talking about discrimination against white males:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8807950

By the way, I do indeed believe that I am a bit racist, in fact I fall under the belief that everyone who grows up in a racist society will at least subconsciously be racist (i.e. every society essentially).

Oh cool, you brought up how I was pointing out that it doesn't make sense for that many black people to be living in a state nearly devoid of black people. Glad to know you're incapable of separating rational argument based on evidence from an emotional response. "He referenced an indisputable fact, he must be bigoted!" I hope you didn't look too long for those, since they're not really relevant to the point you were trying to make.

And the last post wasn't saying white males are discriminated against, it was saying you can't claim to be against discrimination if you're going to discriminate against white males. But if you're going to challenge my ideology on how white men are disregarded in social politics because they don't have enough victim points, then feel free to do it on my wall or in a new thread. I'd love to see you twist in the wind trying to jump around that fact.

Delicious thread.

'It is rude to call some behavior autistic, you Nazi.'