By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

The only way what I said can be interpreted that way is if you believe that autistic people are just a disease to you, I made no mention about autistic people being just a disease, I said autism was a trait that people are born with, much like being black is a trait you're born with.

I'm talk about known symptoms of a known disease, and you're conflating it with racial stereotypes. You're either flying in the face of medical facts and saying autistic behavior can be fully controlled, or you're being a bigot and saying black people can't help but act stereotypical.

"Known symptoms of a known disease" let's go back to what I said in a previous post: Asperger's Syndrome, which is what you're referring to, is not listed in the DSM anymore so it's not even an official disease anymore, so can we have known symptoms for something that is not in the list? And yes, I'm saying that autistic behaviour can be managed, or are you applying the soft bigotry of low expectations to autistics? There's a reason why we have medications and therapy, etc. for them, it's because they are not lost causes and they can thrive.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

I'm talk about known symptoms of a known disease, and you're conflating it with racial stereotypes. You're either flying in the face of medical facts and saying autistic behavior can be fully controlled, or you're being a bigot and saying black people can't help but act stereotypical.

"Known symptoms of a known disease" let's go back to what I said in a previous post: Asperger's Syndrome, which is what you're referring to, is not listed in the DSM anymore so it's not even an official disease anymore, so can we have known symptoms for something that is not in the list? And yes, I'm saying that autistic behaviour can be managed, or are you applying the soft bigotry of low expectations to autistics? There's a reason why we have medications and therapy, etc. for them, it's because they are not lost causes and they can thrive.

Oh. My. God.

So because it was reclassified as a mental disorder instead of a disease, they cured all of the symptoms?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

Oh. My. God.

So because it was reclassified as a mental disorder instead of a disease, they cured all of the symptoms?

Umm, the DSM relates to mental disorders, what I'm saying is that Asperger's isn't an officially recognized mental disorder anymore, it was consolidated into autism spectrum disorder.

Immersiveunreality said:
Azuren said:

Not going to censor my non-racist/homophobic/transphobic/misogynistic language to spare feelings. If you've annoyed me to the point that I'm going to be rude about it, assess your own behavior.

And it's been pretty known ever since Hollywood decided to make it known, let's not pretend we're still in the early 2000's.

It might be yes but that's you, this thread is about the use of that word in general. Context offcourse matters.

Of course context matters. If someone walks up to a struggling autistic kid and starts telling them to quit being autistic, I'll punch the fucker myself.

But if someone it throwing a temper tantrum and someone tells him to quit being so damn autistic, then they should probably assess why someone is calling them autistic.

Azuren said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It might be yes but that's you, this thread is about the use of that word in general. Context offcourse matters.

Of course context matters. If someone walks up to a struggling autistic kid and starts telling them to quit being autistic, I'll punch the fucker myself.

But if someone it throwing a temper tantrum and someone tells him to quit being so damn autistic, then they should probably assess why someone is calling them autistic.

Actually, they should be wondering who this person is that is calling them autistic and if they're even qualified to assess and diagnose people with such a thing.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

Oh. My. God.

Umm, the DSM relates to mental disorders, what I'm saying is that Asperger's isn't an officially recognized mental disorder anymore, it was consolidated into autism spectrum disorder.

Then no, you're just wrong. It's very clearly still listed in 2015's ICD-10 as a disease, and the DSM didn't actually remove it; just rebranded it a Social Communicative Disorder.

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

Then no, you're just wrong. It's very clearly still listed in 2015's ICD-10 as a disease, and the DSM didn't actually remove it; just rebranded it a Social Communicative Disorder.

The DSM and ICD are not maintained by the same organization, so it's not a case of one being for diseases and the other being for mental disorders, also rebranding it as Social Communicate Disorder eliminates the association with autism, which well...this is a thread talking specifically about the use of autism. Now, I guess Asperger's does have a definable value then, I was wrong about that, but then again the traits you mention are not unique to autism, there's a reason why we have psychiatrists, you have to have a certain number of the symptoms and be tested in order to ensure that you truly are autistic, so again it goes back to what I've said by just using adjectives that are more specific to the person's behaviour rather than using autistic which is a cop-out.

VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

The DSM and ICD are not maintained by the same organization, so it's not a case of one being for diseases and the other being for mental disorders, also rebranding it as Social Communicate Disorder eliminates the association with autism, which well...this is a thread talking specifically about the use of autism. Now, I guess Asperger's does have a definable value then, I was wrong about that, but then again the traits you mention are not unique to autism, there's a reason why we have psychiatrists, you have to have a certain number of the symptoms and be tested in order to ensure that you truly are autistic, so again it goes back to what I've said by just using adjectives that are more specific to the person's behaviour rather than using autistic which is a cop-out.

So because one of the two things that have deciding power on whether or not this is a disorder has decided to eschew the autism name, and that justifies you conflating uncontrollable mental ticks with racial stereotypes.

That's a lot of bending over backwards to try and explain away that bigotry. 

Azuren said:
VGPolyglot said:

So because one of the two things that have deciding power on whether or not this is a disorder has decided to eschew the autism name, and that justifies you conflating uncontrollable mental ticks with racial stereotypes.

Again, it's not uncontrollable, it can be managed. And yes, I am saying that racism and ableism against autistics are both bad, I don't know why you find that so hard to grasp.

VGPolyglot said:
Azuren said:

Again, it's not uncontrollable, it can be managed. And yes, I am saying that racism and ableism against autistics are both bad, I don't know why you find that so hard to grasp.

They can manage it, but it's still there under the surface because no matter how it's rebranded, it's still a disorder. And you can call it ableist all you want, but you're still conflating a disease that affects the very core of a person to a skin color. But go ahead and hide behind that new -ism.