By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

VGPolyglot said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

No. It's not just political threads, it's "similarly charged" threads. Meaning you can't go into threads about political correctness, or go into a thread and start talking about how racist random users are. 

If you agree to that, I will make Garnet my AV again. 

OK, deal.

This is the greatest deal of all time! This will keep the peace! 

And they declined my Mod application  

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

OK, deal.

OK, a deal's a deal, as long as you keep that avy I'll refrain from posting in those threads.

VGPolyglot said:

OK, a deal's a deal, as long as you keep that avy I'll refrain from posting in those threads.

Ok, that includes this one. So like, don't reply to this message. 

VGPolyglot said:

OK, deal.

Complete denuclearization. Bigly done ALA.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Can the word Weeaboo be prohibited too? Some people are Japanese, even though they were born non-Japanese. They can't help that. Pls.

Around the Network

I'd rather this thread didn't get locked and since we've already had a mod's warning, probably best we reign it in a little guys.

I really don't see how this request (and that's what it is, I'm not an authority figure here and I've come just as a fellow citizen of VGC with a humble entreaty, not as an aggressor) is unreasonable. I haven't called for it to be a ban-worthy offense. I'm not personally attacking those who've used the term negatively. I'm not calling anyone a Nazi. I've tried to be as polite and reasonable as possible about this.

I just feel like there are countless better ways we can describe a company's bad behaviour without using a specific neurological condition shared by some of our fellow VGC members as an insult.

KLXVER said:

I simply came with a humble request that when it comes to the term we remember there are people here who are autistic and exercise courtesy. That's all.

Would be more effective if we could hear from them what they think about it.

Well, you have heard from one of them.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 June 2018

Well, I know that there are some who have expressed already, in this thread, that they are against censorship, and I sympathize with them, I really do. We already don't tolerate racial/ethnic slurs, words that marginalize sexual orientaion or gender, and the word retard. With good reason! I know I've slipped as few insults in over the years, but have never felt the need to go so low in any response, even when aggravated or annoyed, to include any such language. I'm fine with autistic/autism joining the Nish-Nish club of banned words. It's a small list. Big fucking deal I say. Good bye, autistic/autism as an insult!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I have never used the word "autistic" in such a connotation, and I could probably count in one hand the times I've used that word in general. In middle school though, I used to jokingly use the word "gay" with a really laid-back group of friends; we didn't mean anything by it, we didn't even realize how the word entered our vocabulary, but within our group "gay" definitely had a slight, albeit unspoken negative context to it, maybe if just a subconscious one.

Knowing what I know now I realize that if a gay person had heard the way we used that word he might have felt offended or attacked, and that is wrong because when people feel that they don't belong anywhere, it is usually bad for society. I agree with people that say that society and culture as it currently stands is far from perfect, and people that are constantly offended should try to grow a thicker skin, but at the same time I realize that everyone is different, and just because it comes easily to me to be able to ignore politically incorrect, or even hurtful comments, it doesn't mean that everyone else can and we should be mindful of that. When it comes to politically incorrect people, I don't think most people realize how damaging some of our comments are, even when we don't mean anything by them, which is why we have so many people telling us to be more conscious of others. The reason, that  the so-called "thought police" is more visible and active now than ever before is because the people on top have finally realized that when someone feels like they matter, that they are respected and that they have a place in our communities, they are happy and thus more productive and innovative; it isn't them trying to be all nice and more accepting, its a matter of dollars and cents, it would be nice if they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, but they aren't. The idea of economic prosperity while bringing happiness to some people that are lacking it is not a bad goal to have at all though.

That said, I do believe that people should try and grow a thicker skin because the facts are that; the evils of our society won't get fixed anytime soon, and if we try to fix them by force it will have negative consequences on our communities, which is why I don't think un-PC people should change their behaviour just because, they should be aware of the impact that words can have on some people, and if they so wish to change their behavior they should do so, but they shouldn't change because they were bullied into changing, if who they are is someone that makes off-putting remarks which to them don't even register as negative who are we to tell them to change. We all have our own quirks which are hard to get rid of, and they are a part of us, if someone was constantly being belittled and told that the way they communicate even when they aren't trying to be negative is antithetical with goodness, they would just end up in the same place as the LGBTQ community that feels they don't belong anywhere, and in that situation who would really be in the wrong, the un-PC person or the PC police? Trying to be inclusive needs some necessary balance, you, of course, have to be understanding of the group's needs, but you cannot focus all of your attention on that group, nor can't you be overly critical of people outside that group, which is why I think our current methods of inclusivity aren't working. The perfect example is feminism, women have a lot of grievances with most aspects of our society, but we are putting a laser focus on them, while completely neglecting the needs of men, which is good for no one because many men are feeling ignored or even attacked in our society. Terms like male privilege, the gender earnings gap, mansplaining, manspreading are just hurting inclusivity efforts. How does the homeless guy benefit from male privilege? How does the college guy barely managing to pay his education benefit from the fact that the richest people on earth are male thus tilting the earnings gap? There are many challenges that the common man currently faces, but we do nothing about them, and if our society doesn't care about them, why should they care about trying to be inclusive? if they are feeling neglected how are they gonna care about the issues plaguing women?

When we are politically correct we are participating in the inclusivity efforts that our overlords instated(which is good) but if we take it to the extreme we will only hurt the cause, so we have to be mindful of that.

CGI-Quality said:

📢

I had a discussion with The Mod Team about this. Many of them feel like the term "autistic screeching", whether a meme or not, is inappropriate. They also feel the word "autistic", as an insult, is just as bad as other words we find inappropriate around here. My personal input? While there are surely words/terms/phrases that can be seen as jokes and what not, people with genuine autism (or with a friend/relative who suffers from it) don't find it funny at all. No different than calling someone a "retard". Because these things have lasting consequences on the sufferer, I get where The Team, and curl, are coming from, though I don't feel quite as strongly about it.

So, here's what I'll do. From this post on, I want genuine responses to this. How do you feel about a Global (Sitewide) restriction on words like these? This is simply to know where many of you stand.

Completely down to the context it's used in, I think there are times when pretty much every word has a use, while I completely understand where Curl is coming from which is just a polite request for people to understand that they might be offending others when they use it and to consider substituting it for something else to be just fine.

I think saying certain words are too bad to ever utter is too far, especially if you say that words in general have a scale as to which ones are the worst word, it completely depends on the context it's used in, every family on Earth has been impacted by cancer (my own very close family included in this) but still it's a term which is thrown out in every day use in both an insult or just a descriptor of a bad thing (I've even done that myself in the last few days http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8835922 ) but if you want to put a blanket ban on a certain condition being used as a adjective you are going to have to consider which other conditions join that word, I've said to you in a PM my "trigger" but still if you start to create a list of things which shouldn't be used at all on here you'll find that most medical conditions/nationalities and pretty much a bevy of other things will be added to it very quickly as those words have the potential to cause hurt if they're used in a certain context.

Again, can't emphasis enough how I feel about this CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I'll respond seriously to this.

The term should be restricted (with the screeching part as well as being used as an insult). Even if it is a meme or said in jest, the person who has autism can feel isolated and insulted. That is not what VGC should be about, nobody should feel that way here. The negative connotation of the word is something that needs to be addressed as well. Why is autism bad? Why is it used as an insult? Why is it used the same way as retard or idiot or crazy person? Where do these feelings come from? Is it ignorance or genuine malice/monkey behaviour? That is something we as a site, as people, would have to look at and reflect on.