By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Graphical Techniques Do You Want Standardized For Next Gen Consoles?

EDIT: Oops, now that the thread has been renamed, my post is no longer on topic. I wish VGChartz had a way to delete a post completely and remove it from the VGC buddy...

Evolution in gameplay instead of just graphics.

One of my biggest issues with the current gen is that with very few exceptions, it feels exactly like last gen just with prettier pixels. Gameplay has not really evolved meaningfully since about 2009 IMHO. 

One of the few exceptions is BOTW, and that's the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in the future; games that push interactivity and simulation to achieve new levels of emergent gameplay. I want to see next gen games take BOTW's dynamic physics and chemistry mechanics, and give them a generational leap in sophistication, scale, and extensiveness. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 June 2018

Around the Network

Not even sure where to start... I am a big supporter of Ray Tracing as that is where tech is currently heading... And games have been leveraging that technology to various degrees since the 7th gen console hardware.

I will keep an eye on the thread though. :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The biggest thing I would like to see perfected is collision detection and interactive objects. I want all foliage, Weapons, Hair, etc. to move properly without clipping through the characters. Seeing objects stick through a character or fail to interact is jarring when everything else looks solid.

I agree with Bristow9091 that we need shadows to be improved to eliminate the crawling and flickering issue.

Otherwise I just want a massive leap in texture quality and draw distance, with beautiful transistions as we move through the environment no more jarring geometry and texture popin issues.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

More than anything I just want flaws like aliasing, low poly counts, pop in, bad texture filtering, and clipping to become nearly imperceptible.

Beyond that, physically and dynamically render as much as possible in real time while continuing to improve lighting, textures, all that jazz.

The one technique I want generalized (meaning on ALL games) is 60 fps STABLE, I could even live with 1080p games next gen if the frame rate is high and stable. If they can throw in 4K along then fine, I'll take it but if it's one or the other then I'd love a stable high frame rate on ALL games. Nowadays more and more games are 60 fps on PS4 and that's great but it shouldn't even be an issue on next gen. There should not be a need to say: The new game XXX comes at 60 fps. It should be standard, like color. No game ad says: The next game in our franchise will be in COLOR, cause it's standard stuff.

Around the Network

While lot of moderators suddenly showed up.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I like the graphical technique of displaying a graphics menu. It's kinda like an overlay over the whole picture(post processing?) but it must be really tricky to implement which is why we haven't seen it yet on consoles. I hope the next gen consoles are powerful enough and the development tools advanced enough to employ this technique in at least some of the games.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'm hoping for something like this - finally, objects will actually blend into environment.

Other than that...unfortunately, I expect physics (mostly proper destructibility) to still be as crappy as it has always been (bar few rare cases), so no big hopes for that in next gen.

4k60fps

it should be done. currently we're at 4k checkerboard. and 30 fps. if we cant get to 4k60 there is a problem

however. I want a 30 fps option as well. some games I don't like 60 fps

CrazyGamer2017 said:

The one technique I want generalized (meaning on ALL games) is 60 fps STABLE, I could even live with 1080p games next gen if the frame rate is high and stable. If they can throw in 4K along then fine, I'll take it but if it's one or the other then I'd love a stable high frame rate on ALL games. Nowadays more and more games are 60 fps on PS4 and that's great but it shouldn't even be an issue on next gen. There should not be a need to say: The new game XXX comes at 60 fps. It should be standard, like color. No game ad says: The next game in our franchise will be in COLOR, cause it's standard stuff.

I would like to see them offer options. With Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, AMD, Epic, Unity, and many more putting a major effort into making all aspects of hardware and software scalable, I think we should have the choice to play at 30 or 60fps on all games next gen. We have reached a point with resolution where 4K is great to have for large displays, but 1080p and even 720p to an extent is just fine for smaller displays. I prefer resolution over frame rate in traditional gaming, so I would choose to play in 4K/30 over any other resolution at 60, given the choice. On the flip side, in VR I prefer the fastest frame rate possible, so I would sacrifice resolution for 120fps in all games. 

Hopefully, the industry will continue to expand on the scalability they are building into everything this gen, allowing us to play at the resolution and frame rate we prefer, and on the hardware form factor of our choice.

Maybe CGI-Quality can give us some examples of techniques being used to help make scalability of resolution and frame rate across hardware more common next gen. I think that is just as important as, techniques being used to offer improve graphical fidelity.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL