By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Graphical Techniques Do You Want Standardized For Next Gen Consoles?

finalrpgfantasy said:
Anisotropic filtering. I don't think current gen game use this (if they do, is a low one). From my understanding, current-gen games use trilinear filtering, right? I'm not a computer graphics savvy, so correct me if I'm wrong. I noticed this for the first time on GTA 5 (PS4). There's a small radius around the player that looks fine but outside of that is a little blurry.

8th gen games tend to use Anisotropic filtering more often than not.
Obviously it isn't always 16x, which I personally believe should be the minimum on the Xbox One X and Playstation 4 Pro as it's not very demanding on modern hardware.

Hopefully next gen we see a push beyond 16x samples and start seeing 32x or 64x samples.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Being a Nintendo fan, I notice that they are pretty behind in terms of graphics techniques. So while my choice may or may not already be standardized to an extent, I haven't seen Nintendo embrace it like they should. I think some of their art styles would benefit from SSS or subsurface scattering. They only recently, about when the Wii U came out began using Physical Based Rendering and it has done great things for their colorful worlds, but for skin shading and things that are gel like, I think their custom shaders are great but from what I've seen from them lately, especially in Mario Tennis Aces, their shaderwork still leaves a bit to be desired.

I think that SSS would be best utilized in a high fantasy Zelda game, I'd love to see that. In terms of standards for next gen, assuming that SSS is already the standard for everyone else outside of Nintendo, real time separable SSS would bring PS and Xbox closer to photo realistic graphics in real time. I mean, Resident Evil 2 remake looks amazing but we're not currently here just yet:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/72_iAlYwl0c/maxresdefault.jpg

And of course this is probably being rendered at 30 minutes a frame on a crazy decked out workstation but a toned down, less intensive algorithm for getting this effect would be desirable for next gen.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 22 June 2018

CGI-Quality said:  lots of stuff

I don't know anything about technical stuff; but what I want is that the textures and shadows super sharp; grass rendered blade by blade (Ghost of Tsushima), trees that look like actual trees with all their branches and leaves not being sprites; not polygonal "edges" (not octagonal kind of cylindrical fingers);  full real physics to clothes; and 4K 60fps always.

Chazore said:
HoloDust said:

I'm hoping for something like this - finally, objects will actually blend into environment.

Other than that...unfortunately, I expect physics (mostly proper destructibility) to still be as crappy as it has always been (bar few rare cases), so no big hopes for that in next gen.

Yeah I've not much hopes for that happening next gen either.

I would really love to see more advanced AI though, but I don't see that happening either.

Would be nice to see more AA options like MFAA and TXAA though. WE already have access to those via Nvidia for some games, but I'd love to see Nvidia making rounds to include that in a lot more games going forward, as well as Ansel support and VXAO for improved shadows. 

AI hasn't changed since like the early 2000s or the late 90s

because games don't care for it. its not as obvious as graphics. and anyway. alot of games are so heavily scripted A.I isn't even a thing. 

anyway. games have not mechanically changed a lot. mostly because that stuff takes a lot more creativity and work than bumping up few graphics sliders

I'd like to see more stuff to interact with in  gameplay from the enviroment.

^ Phantom Pain

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
MasterThief said:

AI hasn't changed since like the early 2000s or the late 90s

F.E.A.R., The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, and Killzone 2 all had fantastic AI and they came out in the mid-late 00s.

few far in between. it was never a standard. 

killzone 2 AI is nothing special. it was good cover shooter A.I which is much simpler than other things 

CGI-Quality said:
MasterThief said:

few far in between. it was never a standard. 

killzone 2 AI is nothing special. it was good cover shooter A.I which is much simpler than other things 

Killzone 2's AI was actually very good. Reviewers agreed and so did gamers. However, we're not turning this into how you felt about the game and AI has nothing to do with graphics.

i didnt mention graphics. it was just a cover based AI. it didn't do much of anything else really. 

Pemalite said:
finalrpgfantasy said:
Anisotropic filtering. I don't think current gen game use this (if they do, is a low one). From my understanding, current-gen games use trilinear filtering, right? I'm not a computer graphics savvy, so correct me if I'm wrong. I noticed this for the first time on GTA 5 (PS4). There's a small radius around the player that looks fine but outside of that is a little blurry.

8th gen games tend to use Anisotropic filtering more often than not.
Obviously it isn't always 16x, which I personally believe should be the minimum on the Xbox One X and Playstation 4 Pro as it's not very demanding on modern hardware.

Hopefully next gen we see a push beyond 16x samples and start seeing 32x or 64x samples.

I hope so.  It's very distracting a low setting of AF.

Not graphics, but I would definitely prefer really good AI.

I would also like open world games to be less buggy with less clipping. Personally, I would prefer a near perfect open world game, even if it isn't that big.

Lens flare!