By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Graphical Techniques Do You Want Standardized For Next Gen Consoles?

If Sony and Microsoft can't make 60FPS standard, they both need to just quit and go sell shoes instead. Outside of that, I don't care about anything else graphically. AI, absolutely but graphics? Frames per second matters far more.

Around the Network

I don't have the knowledge to understand the details and I don't know what such things as AA mean.

Having said that, I'd like to see dynamic lightning/shadow improving. As others have mentioned, while textures have improved a lot this generation to the point that some textures are almost perfectly realistic, shadows in most games are far from looking real.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
I don't have the knowledge to understand the details and I don't know what such things as AA mean.

Having said that, I'd like to see dynamic lightning/shadow improving. As others have mentioned, while textures have improved a lot this generation to the point that some textures are almost perfectly realistic, shadows in most games are far from looking real.

AA is Anti-Aliasing. All solutions try to blur the edge of an image so as to create a smoother reproduction (so the 'jagged edges' you may find in some older games are being treated with something like this so newer games don't suffer the same fate).

Source - Check that out for the longer explanation.

I'll try to remember to keep checking for this and the next thread...
I miss the thread of the perma banned moderator that was doing a step by step game creation process.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Does VR count as a graphical technique? If it does, then that!

I don't want any options in game, I just want it to run smooth with zero setup. Console wide screen calibration should be enough. Next gen needs to add console wide HDR calibration as well.

Personally I'm not a fan of motion blur or depth of field blur or heavy AA blur or upscaling blur. The less blur the better. What I'm mostly looking forward to is improved lighting. That's where the differences are most noticeable now between gens. More dynamic lighting, more realistic shadows and reflections. I'll take a grainy low res ray traced 30 fps game over a 4K60 pre baked one. Perhaps ray tracing is more suited to VR with the low res screens, yet we'll need some very clever fps upscaling for that. Would it be possible to run lighting at 30fps, rendering geometry at 60 fps and reprojecting it all to 120fps?

Around the Network

As far as Animation, Mechanics, and Framerate, while they are relevant to Game Design, they are an area I avoided when I was heavily into Game Development. I'm a much better static Artist.

In any event, keep the discussion going! I plan to compile everything and open the base thread on Sunday.

Anisotropic filtering. I don't think current gen game use this (if they do, is a low one). From my understanding, current-gen games use trilinear filtering, right? I'm not a computer graphics savvy, so correct me if I'm wrong. I noticed this for the first time on GTA 5 (PS4). There's a small radius around the player that looks fine but outside of that is a little blurry.

60 fps should be the standard, or at least give us an option between performance and graphics.

I agree with SvennoJ on improvements with lightning. A good lightning implementation can make a huge difference on how it looks.

Last gen I didn't pay any attention to these kind of details but after watching so many DF comparison videos, it's hard not to pay attention now.

finalrpgfantasy said:
Anisotropic filtering. I don't think current gen game use this (if they do, is a low one). From my understanding, current-gen games use trilinear filtering, right? I'm not a computer graphics savvy, so correct me if I'm wrong. I noticed this for the first time on GTA 5 (PS4). There's a small radius around the player that looks fine but outside of that is a little blurry.

60 fps should be the standard, or at least give us an option between performance and graphics.

I agree with SvennoJ on improvements with lightning. A good lightning implementation can make a huge difference on how it looks.

Last gen I didn't pay any attention to these kind of details but after watching so many DF comparison videos, it's hard not to pay attention now.

Current games us AF.

curl-6 said: 

One of my biggest issues with the current gen is that with very few exceptions, it feels exactly like last gen just with prettier pixels. Gameplay has not really evolved meaningfully since about 2009 IMHO. 

I think that's about right.  That's when they finally got cameras to not suck and impede game play (most of the time).  

But, onto the new OP - I care about frame rate.  I'm not going to say that 60fps should be standard, as it may not be possible for some games.  But, I prefer that, in terms of graphics (I'm using the word loosely here), I hope that the focus moves away from resolution (it is good enough for the next decade), in favor of higher frame rate.  The difference in feel is huge.  

HDR is also very important.  But, I think that's been pretty well handled at this point.  I suppose devs could make better use of it sometimes, so I hope that happens as well.  

finalrpgfantasy said:

8th gen games tend to use Anisotropic filtering more often than not.
Obviously it isn't always 16x, which I personally believe should be the minimum on the Xbox One X and Playstation 4 Pro as it's not very demanding on modern hardware.

Hopefully next gen we see a push beyond 16x samples and start seeing 32x or 64x samples.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--