By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Too much video game time can be a problem', The WHO

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Yes and that is my problem with the media.

Well, given the media is comprised of millions of individuals each with their own views, none of us are ever going to agree with all or even most of what is reported.

Seems pretty pedantic at this point. Because that statement is obvious. Of course I don't agree with any media in the world, I only agree with myself and my views. So I feel the need to point why some of them are being stupid.

Around the Network

Giving it a special name is stupid. We could name "Movie Watching Disorder", "Kayaking Disorder", or just about any other activity. If you do anything so much that it screws up the rest of your life, that's a problem. It really is as simple as that.

The inaccurate and misleading thread title needs to be changed. WHO have not said playing games is a disorder.

EDIT: Thanks CGI, much better

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 June 2018

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

That's not what they're saying.

Gaming disorder as defined by the WHO is "characterized by impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming over other activities to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities, and continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. For gaming disorder to be diagnosed, the behaviour pattern must be of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning and would normally have been evident for at least 12 months."

Nobody is saying that playing video games in your spare time is a disorder. What they're saying is that when it reaches the level of an addiction that severely and detrimentally impacts your ability to function, then it's a problem. And they're correct.

Exactly this.

A person who plays games for an hour each night after a long day of work/school/social activities does not have a disorder.

A person in their 40s with no job, no social life and lives in their moms basement playing games all day likely had a disorder.

No need to go straight to the extreme. A standard MMO addict fits the bill, too.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
zorg1000 said:

Exactly this.

A person who plays games for an hour each night after a long day of work/school/social activities does not have a disorder.

A person in their 40s with no job, no social life and lives in their moms basement playing games all day likely had a disorder.

No need to go straight to the extreme. A standard MMO addict fits the bill, too.

Just one of many examples, an 8 year old who spends all his free time playing games on his tablet rather than playing with other kids would fit the bill as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

It's a serious problem for many and has destroyed the life of many people already. Especially MMOs which even destroyed the life of people aroubd me.

Can't believe so many try to deny it or compare it with movies. Sure, many love their movies as well but many gamers don't even eat anymore, stop opening the doors for friends or family visiting them and so on. It's horrible in some cases

credibility of WHO was gone years ago.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/723323/Sexual-partner-fertility-disability-World-Health-Organisation-IVF

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

However the title still strongly suggests 20+ hours a week is addiction, when it isn't that much.

Well the definition of gaming disorder isn't how many hours one plays a week, but how the level of detrimental impact it has on the sufferer's ability to function in day to day life.

Why immediately make a direct correlation between gaming 3 hours a day and behavioural impairment? That is called bias. 

HintHRO said:
curl-6 said:

Well the definition of gaming disorder isn't how many hours one plays a week, but how the level of detrimental impact it has on the sufferer's ability to function in day to day life.

Why immediately make a direct correlation between gaming 3 hours a day and behavioural impairment? That is called bias. 

Because while the two are not one and the same, there is a correlation between time spent gaming and it becoming a disorder. It would be hard for it to reach the level of a disorder if you only played an hour a day.

Someone tell them that it's not 1988

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.