By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Too much video game time can be a problem', The WHO

dx11332sega said:
Is this mental disorder getting a pill ? Are we getting a pill for watching to much tv? or using to much internet?IDK if pill is needed?

I'm certainly no expert, but in my limited experience, a disorder of this nature is typically best treated with behavioral therapy rather than medication. If someone is so addicted to gaming that it severely impacts their social life, their financial situation, their job, their relationship with their family, etc, then the logical solution is to help them better manage their behaviour, not pump them full of drugs.

Around the Network

Meh, liking a hobby is not a disorder. Unlike gambling, you not losing much money.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Curious, do they say the same thing for TV, books, movies, or any other entertainment?

Typically a disorder is characterized by a certain level of dysfunction, and a substantial quantity of study demonstrating said dysfunction. Other forms of entertainment have indeed been identified as having the potential to cause disorders; gambling for example. Social media will quite possibly join the list too. A case could certainly be made for television as well.

I don't have a huge issue with WHO classification but it does get rather annoying and hypocritical when the media spouts stuff like this :

Not only do they ignore other entertainment that many people spend 20+ hours a week on, but they specify computer instead of the real addictive and damaging games in the mobile and social media space.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Typically a disorder is characterized by a certain level of dysfunction, and a substantial quantity of study demonstrating said dysfunction. Other forms of entertainment have indeed been identified as having the potential to cause disorders; gambling for example. Social media will quite possibly join the list too. A case could certainly be made for television as well.

I don't have a huge issue with WHO classification but it does get rather annoying and hypocritical when the media spouts stuff like this :

Not only do they ignore other entertainment that many people spend 20+ hours a week on, but they specify computer instead of the real addictive and damaging games in the mobile and social media space.

Well, literally the opening line of that article is that "for most people gaming is an enjoyable hobby and a way to spend time with friends" so they're making the distinction that gaming itself is not inherently harmful or disordered.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Well, literally the opening line of that article is that "for most people gaming is an enjoyable hobby and a way to spend time with friends" so they're making the distinction that gaming itself is not inherently harmful or disordered.

However the title still strongly suggests 20+ hours a week is addiction, when it isn't that much.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

However the title still strongly suggests 20+ hours a week is addiction, when it isn't that much.

Well the definition of gaming disorder isn't how many hours one plays a week, but how the level of detrimental impact it has on the sufferer's ability to function in day to day life.

I'm way ahead of the WHO, look at my nickname, I knew it long before they even thought of it 

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Well the definition of gaming disorder isn't how many hours one plays a week, but how the level of detrimental impact it has on the sufferer's ability to function in day to day life.

I don't function at all, in fact I don't have much of a life, what would I do with a life? Lives are overrated. My only reality is my screen (games, movies, shows, news, information)

I'm a Hikikomori, a gamer, I have OCD and I'm definitely crazy.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Yes and that is my problem with the media.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Yes and that is my problem with the media.

Well, given the media is comprised of millions of individuals each with their own views, none of us are ever going to agree with all or even most of what is reported.