By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

Miyamotoo said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Oh they wish we would've forgotten, perhaps that's why they made the Smash segment so long lel. But um yeah, obviously if they made the direct not meh, it wouldn't have been meh. Tis a moot point that doesn't change anything so I'm not sure why yal keep repeating it.

I disagree, E3 Direct was solid until Smash Bros segment, and very long Smash Bros segment effect very negatively on hole E3 Direct, just 5 min long Smash Bros segment definitely would make Direct mush less negative, also point that some things like Fortnite were already leaked didn't help at all.

Again, that the event could have been better does not change nor excuse the fact that the event is what it is, but eh fine keep repeating yourself. I won't be saying this again though. Also refer to the quote below as to why the E3 direct was not solid up until Smash.

Nautilus said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Hardly, atleast that wouldn't have made a difference to me. Fire Emblem n Yoshi still delayed with Yoshi not even shown, Smash would still get an underwhelming and overly long reveal, more time would still be lost showing off $50 dlc for Let's Go, and Mario Party would remain as the only new announcement from Nintendo while Animal Crossing is vaporware for all we know.

I said it would make the presentation better, not the best.

I didn't say anything about being the best, I said it would hardly make a difference. Yes technically it would be better, by like 0.2%. Certainly wouldn't make anyone unhappy with the direct suddenly like it. The loss of surprise factor didn't negatively affect Mario Rabbids any. But eh, I realize this is also a moot point.

Yal are free to believe the 3rd party stuff being unknown beforehand and Smash Ultimate being 5 mins instead woulda made all the difference, doing so won't change anything afterall.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Miyamotoo said:

I disagree, E3 Direct was solid until Smash Bros segment, and very long Smash Bros segment effect very negatively on hole E3 Direct, just 5 min long Smash Bros segment definitely would make Direct mush less negative, also point that some things like Fortnite were already leaked didn't help at all.

Again, that the event could have been better does not change nor excuse the fact that the event is what it is, but eh fine keep repeating yourself. I won't be saying this again though. Also refer to the quote below as to why the E3 direct was not solid up until Smash.

Nautilus said:

I said it would make the presentation better, not the best.

I didn't say anything about being the best, I said it would hardly make a difference. Yes technically it would be better, by like 0.2%. Certainly wouldn't make anyone unhappy with the direct suddenly like it. The loss of surprise factor didn't negatively affect Mario Rabbids any. But eh, I realize this is also a moot point.

Yal are free to believe the 3rd party stuff being unknown beforehand and Smash Ultimate being 5 mins instead woulda made all the difference, doing so won't change anything afterall.

Again, I didnt say it would make all the difference, I said it would make a difference.Stop putting words in my mouth.And honestly, people should start looking beyond themselves.Fortnite, like it or not, is a huge grab for the system, even if all other systems already have it.I mean, the numbers speak for themselves.The other ones are also relevant.

I mean, just because you diont like those games, or arent interest in them, dosent mean you represent everyone.Not all of us are a Einsam Dolphins.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

because 2017 was incredible.

shikamaru317 said:

I am baffled that some people in this thread think that E3 is dying or becoming irrelevant. Where are you getting that from? E3 2018 had the largest attendance for an E3 since 2005. Every E3 press conference except EA broke their peak concurrent viewer record from last year on Twitch. E3 is bigger than ever. Sure there are more events throughout the year to showcase games at, Gamescom, Paris Games Week, multiple different PAX's, The Game Awards, etc., and of course for Nintendo, the other Direct's throughout the year, but E3 is still the best place to announce games in terms of maximizing the number of people who will see your announcement. 

In my view it's less about E3's relevancy and more about Nintendo not wanting to share the spotlight or be overshadowed when they reveal games.

Nautilus said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Again, I didnt say it would make all the difference, I said it would make a difference.Stop putting words in my mouth.And honestly, people should start looking beyond themselves.Fortnite, like it or not, is a huge grab for the system, even if all other systems already have it.I mean, the numbers speak for themselves.The other ones are also relevant.

I mean, just because you diont like those games, or arent interest in them, dosent mean you represent everyone.Not all of us are a Einsam Dolphins.

Irrelevant semantics, plus that part of the post was not directed at only you specifically. No one ever said anything about Fortnite not being a good get, speaking of putting words in people's mouths. However it is undeniable that Nintendo systems are bought primarily for Nintendo games, so naturally the 3rd party stuff doesn't hold as much weight as 1st party to most people. That's not me saying everyone is me lol, that's just going by sales data and from actually listening to those who were disappointed in the direct.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Nautilus said:

Irrelevant semantics, plus that part of the post was not directed at only you specifically. No one ever said anything about Fortnite not being a good get, speaking of putting words in people's mouths. However it is undeniable that Nintendo systems are bought primarily for Nintendo games, so naturally the 3rd party stuff doesn't hold as much weight as 1st party to most people. That's not me saying everyone is me lol, that's just going by sales data and from actually listening to those who were disappointed in the direct.

But numbers dont support that, at least not entirely.Yes, Nintendo games do the biggest weightlifting for the system, but third parties and indies are selling the best on the Switch, and even if you dont consider the competitors, its been ages that a good number of companies other than Nintendo are finding success on the Switch.This in turn points that the current userbase of the system have a taste that expands beyond Nintendo related IPs, or franchises that are usually tied to Nintendo consoles, like Overcooked, Steamworld, Sonic Mania, Fifa, Rocket League, Super Bomberman R, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Golf Story just to name a few.I got to this conclusion by also looking at sales data and by looking on everyones reaction and expectation before, during and after the presentation, in various forums.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yeah, Direct is what it its but thats not point, point is that E3 Direct was OK until Smash Bros. segment and defiantly would have less negativity around without so much long Smash Bros. segment, thats my point but from some reason you have hard time understanding that.

Hell if I know OP. I quit years ago.

wombat123 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I am baffled that some people in this thread think that E3 is dying or becoming irrelevant. Where are you getting that from? E3 2018 had the largest attendance for an E3 since 2005. Every E3 press conference except EA broke their peak concurrent viewer record from last year on Twitch. E3 is bigger than ever. Sure there are more events throughout the year to showcase games at, Gamescom, Paris Games Week, multiple different PAX's, The Game Awards, etc., and of course for Nintendo, the other Direct's throughout the year, but E3 is still the best place to announce games in terms of maximizing the number of people who will see your announcement. 

In my view it's less about E3's relevancy and more about Nintendo not wanting to share the spotlight or be overshadowed when they reveal games.

Except they blew the competition out of the water last year? 

Mcube said:
wombat123 said:

Except they blew the competition out of the water last year? 

Wasn't really hard to considering that, for the most part, Sony repeated their presentation from a year ago and Microsoft expected people to be impressed by a bunch of multiplats and 'console exclusive' games.