By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

KLXVER said:
Ill still be hyped for it. Disappointment is a part of the E3 experience as well.

That's a funny way to look at it, but I agree. Salty tears this year for no Metroid prime footage and, especially, no rumored "F-Zero"  :'(



Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
Ulternia said:
Jranation said:
I think it was the 6-9 month rule that needs to be removed. I think at e3 it is okay for them to show games that will come out in the next 2 -3 years. Give us a short trailer and people would be hyped. Even the logo/title

No thank you. Nintendo has changed the mid-2000s culture that involved announcing a new game years in advance and other companies are just now following suit. 

 

Their biggest problem this year was just a lack of announcements, even though we know they have more to announce. We got one new first-party announcement, three third-parties and two new indie titles. They could have at least given their upcoming 3DS titles some time but instead it seems like they’re going to wait to do another Direct again. It should come pretty soon since the last major 3DS release is slated for August 3rd.

But then what happened with Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Metroid Prime 4? Nintendo tries to not announce new games too early, but they still do every year lol. 

Last edited by outlawauron - on 19 June 2018

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Nautilus said:
Oh and just a sidenote:The other reason that Nintendo presentation this year wasnt all that big its because more than half of it was leaked to hell and back.While it still wouldnt be as good as last year, a surprise announcement of Fortnite and its shadow drop, along with DB Fighters Z, Overcooked 2, the smaller indie stuff could have easily made people less salty about the presentation.Wouldnt make it better than last year, but it would make it better.Just saying.
Hardly, atleast that wouldn't have made a difference to me. Fire Emblem n Yoshi still delayed with Yoshi not even shown, Smash would still get an underwhelming and overly long reveal, more time would still be lost showing off $50 dlc for Let's Go, and Mario Party would remain as the only new announcement from Nintendo while Animal Crossing is vaporware for all we know.

I said it would make the presentation better, not the best.



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Because E3 2016 and 2017 were great?
I mean, 2018 wasn't horrible. It was just too much Smash.
We got Super Mario Party and a great looking Fire Emblem trailer.
Also Fortnite!



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


Good question. E3 is irrelevant to them and is loosing steam, people should stop expecting Nintendo to go all out because they don't need to and I doubt they ever will. We should still look forward to it, just don't expect massive amounts of reveals that will blow your balls off.

It feels like Nintendo fans are the most hype fanbase and despite being let down on multiple occasions, still hype up Nintendo events to no end and blame Nintendo when they underperform even though we've been conditioned to expect it at this point. It's like getting overwhelmingly hyped for them is in our nature.

Well whatever, I look forward to Nintendo's next E3, I bet it's gonna be insane!



Around the Network

I am baffled that some people in this thread think that E3 is dying or becoming irrelevant. Where are you getting that from? E3 2018 had the largest attendance for an E3 since 2005. Every E3 press conference except EA broke their peak concurrent viewer record from last year on Twitch. E3 is bigger than ever. Sure there are more events throughout the year to showcase games at, Gamescom, Paris Games Week, multiple different PAX's, The Game Awards, etc., and of course for Nintendo, the other Direct's throughout the year, but E3 is still the best place to announce games in terms of maximizing the number of people who will see your announcement. 



Miyamotoo said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Oh they wish we would've forgotten, perhaps that's why they made the Smash segment so long lel. But um yeah, obviously if they made the direct not meh, it wouldn't have been meh. Tis a moot point that doesn't change anything so I'm not sure why yal keep repeating it.

I disagree, E3 Direct was solid until Smash Bros segment, and very long Smash Bros segment effect very negatively on hole E3 Direct, just 5 min long Smash Bros segment definitely would make Direct mush less negative, also point that some things like Fortnite were already leaked didn't help at all.

Again, that the event could have been better does not change nor excuse the fact that the event is what it is, but eh fine keep repeating yourself. I won't be saying this again though. Also refer to the quote below as to why the E3 direct was not solid up until Smash.

 

Nautilus said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Hardly, atleast that wouldn't have made a difference to me. Fire Emblem n Yoshi still delayed with Yoshi not even shown, Smash would still get an underwhelming and overly long reveal, more time would still be lost showing off $50 dlc for Let's Go, and Mario Party would remain as the only new announcement from Nintendo while Animal Crossing is vaporware for all we know.

I said it would make the presentation better, not the best.

I didn't say anything about being the best, I said it would hardly make a difference. Yes technically it would be better, by like 0.2%. Certainly wouldn't make anyone unhappy with the direct suddenly like it. The loss of surprise factor didn't negatively affect Mario Rabbids any. But eh, I realize this is also a moot point.

Yal are free to believe the 3rd party stuff being unknown beforehand and Smash Ultimate being 5 mins instead woulda made all the difference, doing so won't change anything afterall.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Miyamotoo said:

I disagree, E3 Direct was solid until Smash Bros segment, and very long Smash Bros segment effect very negatively on hole E3 Direct, just 5 min long Smash Bros segment definitely would make Direct mush less negative, also point that some things like Fortnite were already leaked didn't help at all.

Again, that the event could have been better does not change nor excuse the fact that the event is what it is, but eh fine keep repeating yourself. I won't be saying this again though. Also refer to the quote below as to why the E3 direct was not solid up until Smash.

 

Nautilus said:

I said it would make the presentation better, not the best.

I didn't say anything about being the best, I said it would hardly make a difference. Yes technically it would be better, by like 0.2%. Certainly wouldn't make anyone unhappy with the direct suddenly like it. The loss of surprise factor didn't negatively affect Mario Rabbids any. But eh, I realize this is also a moot point.

Yal are free to believe the 3rd party stuff being unknown beforehand and Smash Ultimate being 5 mins instead woulda made all the difference, doing so won't change anything afterall.

Again, I didnt say it would make all the difference, I said it would make a difference.Stop putting words in my mouth.And honestly, people should start looking beyond themselves.Fortnite, like it or not, is a huge grab for the system, even if all other systems already have it.I mean, the numbers speak for themselves.The other ones are also relevant.

I mean, just because you diont like those games, or arent interest in them, dosent mean you represent everyone.Not all of us are a Einsam Dolphins.



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

because 2017 was incredible.



shikamaru317 said:

I am baffled that some people in this thread think that E3 is dying or becoming irrelevant. Where are you getting that from? E3 2018 had the largest attendance for an E3 since 2005. Every E3 press conference except EA broke their peak concurrent viewer record from last year on Twitch. E3 is bigger than ever. Sure there are more events throughout the year to showcase games at, Gamescom, Paris Games Week, multiple different PAX's, The Game Awards, etc., and of course for Nintendo, the other Direct's throughout the year, but E3 is still the best place to announce games in terms of maximizing the number of people who will see your announcement. 

In my view it's less about E3's relevancy and more about Nintendo not wanting to share the spotlight or be overshadowed when they reveal games.