By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Post E3: Microsoft's First-Party/Exclusives Problem Isn't Solved

I'd say that Microsoft is now realizing their issue and this is their first step in fixing it which is exactly what we all kept telling MS what they needed in the first place. Wait until next E3, I'm sure Microsoft is having all of their new developers hard at work on something big.

...the only question is if MS and their developers has the vision to capture our attention for their new games or not, we'll just have to wait and find out.

Around the Network

Wait, in what way is that list bad? Lots of games with great review scores.

Xbox One is done. Going to have to wait to see what happens with Xbox2 or whatever

You have to start somewhere. Shows they Are serious about righting the ship. I applaud the move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

metacritic isn't that important anymore, games like fortnite probably would have not scored highter than an 8/10 but if it was an exclusive for one of the consoles that console would sell a ton.

Around the Network

Guerrilla had put out two critical duds before Sony bought them.
Naughty Dog found success with Crash before being bought but before that they put out a lot of PC duds and pretty meh Way of the Warrior.
Bend had a couple decent SF games and a shitty Bubsy before being bought.

Probably the only one who was doing well critically before being bought was Sucker Punch.

Seems these other devs have worked out well for Sony despite their checkered history pre-purchase. Also metascore doesn’t really mean shit.

DirtyP2002 said:
So they shouldn't have bought / opened new studios?

They should and congrats to them to finally putting their money to good use.

Now if we compare this list to the fantasies that were making the rounds months ago when the news were out that Phil Spencer was shopping for studios. I heard fever dreams of people saying MS would buy EA or other A-list companies discussed like that was a real possibility.

I'm sure those people must feel very disappointed now when reality hits

Nautilus said:
Well, while I do agree with you, they just showed what their game plan is (the acquisition of 5 new studios) and it does look promising.So while I agree on the premise, I dont agree 100% with the conclusion.Plus, we will get a new Battletoads man.BATTLETOADS!

Battletoads was the game of the entire show for me. Metacritic scores and sales wont stop me from being excited.

Many on these forums need to understand that you dont need 1st party studios to make great 1st party games. (Cough Killer Instinct)

well its kind of not possible to solve it instantly. they have to fix it next gen. they know this gen is over for more exclusives

LordLichtenstein said:

During Microsoft's E3 2018 press briefing Phil Spencer announced the acquisition of Ninja Theory, Playground Games, Undead Labs and Compulsion Games, as well as the formation of 'The Initiative', a new Santa Monica based studio. Spencer promised a better future for the Xbox community in terms of AAA exclusive blockbuster titles, but the way I see it, their problems isn't solved by these acqusitions. Far from it in fact. 

Microsoft's problem isn't just the low output of AAA exclusive titles, but the quality of the games itself. Their tentpole franchises; Halo, Gears of War and Forza Motorsport are far from their peak, and while Forza Horizon, the best current Xbox franchise, is knocking it out of the park, I fear fans of the franchise might get fatigued at some point in the future, as Playground Games keep re-using the same formula, but location - look what happened to Halo and Gears of War.

Metacritic scores of current generation output from Microsoft Studios, excl. remasters and definitive editions.

• 343 Industries (average score of 84)
    • Halo 5: Guardians (84 score on Xbox One)
  • The Coalition (avergage score of 85)
    • Gears of War 4 (84 score on Xbox One and 86 on PC)
  • Turn 10 Studios (average score of 83)
    • Forza Motorsport 5 (79 score on Xbox One)
    • Forza Motorsport 6 (87 score on Xbox One)
    • Forza Motorsport 7 (86 score on Xbox One and 82 on PC)
  • Playground Games (average score of 88)
    • Forza Horizon 2 (86 score on Xbox One)
    • Forza Horizon 3 (91 score on Xbox One and 86 on PC)
  • Rare (average score of 67)
    • Killer Instinct (73 score on Xbox One)
    • Kinect Sports Rivals (60 score on Xbox One)
    • Sea of Thieves (69 score on Xbox One and 67 on PC)
  • Undead Labs (average score of 68)
    • State of Decay 2 (67 score on Xbox One and 69 on PC)
  • Compulsion Games (average score of 62)
    • Contrast (59 score on PS4, 62 on PC and 65 on Xbox 360)
  • Ninja Theory (average score of 84)
    • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (88 score on Xbox One, 81 on PS4 and 83 on PC)

I know Metacritic scores isn't the end-all be-all, but it paints a good, and more importantly, true picture of Microsoft's biggest shortcoming this generation, quality. Not only has Microsoft Studios's output been terrible, but the quality has taken a massive dive from the Xbox 360 era. Remember when the world was sat on fire upon the release of a new Halo and Gear of War game? That hasn't happened in a long time.

Another thing, Remedy, a studio that has long been associated with the Xbox brand, has chosen to go multiplatform. And Insomniac, that started this generation by ally themselves with Microsoft for Sunset Overdrive, has since released Ratchet and Clank and are now working on one of Sony's upcoming tentpole franchises, Spider-Man.

They are worried about the future not the present. The gave up on XBX one but they might be thinking they can do another comeback like what they did with 360...maybe release Xbox 2 earlier than anticipated... Who knows they might surprise us