By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Planning on buying an Xbox One.

DrDoomz said:

Heya all.

After finishing GoW, I have basically nothing left to look for in games for the PS4 for the next month or so (didn't like Vampyr tho I did buy it). Thinking of buying an Xbox (well 2, actually), an Xbox One X (awful name, if you ask me) and/or an Xbox One S. Basically, I tend to buy consoles in groups (I have 3 PS4 for example) because I have several rooms I play in (our home gym, the living room and my "man cave") that I play in. I'm still a bit on the fence, though. I'd only really buy if I feel that is is worth it. If some of you may be so kind as to give me some advice, I would love it. :)

Basically: what games should I look to buy first for my Xbox? Are there enough to keep me occupied for a few months at least? I'm an ARPG and MMORPG (emphasis on action) kinda guy. I'm already considering PoE (and it is the main reason I am buying the Xbox) but I'm not sure it would keep my interest for too long. I'm also considering SoT, but I heard bad things about it so I'm still not too sure. I'm more of a "it's worth it if I spend X hours on it". Doesn't matter if the Xbox has only one game but if It's able to keep my interest for a month or 2, the whole purchase would be worth it to me (I hate boredom).

None just get gamepass... that should keep you busy for over a month. You also get a free month pass to Xbox gamepass with the Xbox one X. If that's not enough pick up Red dead redemption and play it for the first time in 4k.

Around the Network

Get an Xbox Gamepass subscription.

I would strongly recommend just getting a gaming PC rig/ laptop. I still own a Xbone S, but it was honestly a very disappointing $400 lost. Haven’t even plugged it in since November 2016. I recently got a laptop and I love it. I can play all recent Xbox games in better settings than X, it’s far more convenient to move around, and I get PC’s library as well.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Idk of any exclusive MMO games Xbone has. It has Path of Exile, which is good, and you posted about it.

You get a free month of GamePass with the X and you can share it between both consoles. There you can play Sea of Thieves, SoD2, Gears, Halo, but also great action games with strong RPG elements like Technomancer, Wasteland 2, and Darksiders. Plus Sunset, plus Knights of the Old Republic. If you never played that, you’re in for a treat. One of the finest RPGs ever imho.

Surge is on sale right now, as are lots of other good RPGs in the E3 sale.

DialgaMarine said:
I would strongly recommend just getting a gaming PC rig/ laptop. I still own a Xbone S, but it was honestly a very disappointing $400 lost. Haven’t even plugged it in since November 2016. I recently got a laptop and I love it. I can play all recent Xbox games in better settings than X, it’s far more convenient to move around, and I get PC’s library as well.

Actually have a high end PC and a high end gaming laptop. Haven't turned on the laptop since 2017, though.

I just enjoy playing with a controller, though. I know that you can use a controller on a PC, but I always feel like the interface on a PC is better optimized for kb/mouse.

:p

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:

I don't think the XBone S ever sold at $400.  Didn't it launch at $299?

VAMatt said:
DialgaMarine said:

It launched for $399 with a 2TB HDD. At that point the OG X1 was still at retailers and discounted. So its possible he bought the X1S at launch or some special edition.

Either way, I think the X1S is worth having if you see if for $199. It has a notable backlog, especially in some genres compared to competitors.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DrDoomz said:

Basically: what games should I look to buy first for my Xbox? Are there enough to keep me occupied for a few months at least? I'm an ARPG and MMORPG (emphasis on action) kinda guy. I'm already considering PoE (and it is the main reason I am buying the Xbox) but I'm not sure it would keep my interest for too long. I'm also considering SoT, but I heard bad things about it so I'm still not too sure. I'm more of a "it's worth it if I spend X hours on it". Doesn't matter if the Xbox has only one game but if It's able to keep my interest for a month or 2, the whole purchase would be worth it to me (I hate boredom).

Anyone who buys an Xbox console has to get a copy of Sunset Overdrive, it's probably one of the best games on the system.

But generally... I find the best games are from the previous console generation via backwards compatibility.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mr Puggsly said:
VAMatt said:

It launched for $399 with a 2TB HDD. At that point the OG X1 was still at retailers and discounted. So its possible he bought the X1S at launch or some special edition.

Either way, I think the X1S is worth having if you see if for $199. It has a notable backlog, especially in some genres compared to competitors.

You had it right. I bought the 2 TB  model the day the S launched. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

I'm fairly drink so I can't really read. Did you in own an Xbox 360 because that opens you up to a ton on games that, whole older, still look good and play really well. Plus the Xbox has features and apps that the PS4 don't. As far as games, it easy enough to see which games aren't on other consoles. N if you have a gaming PC it might not be worth it. The features it has will be available on PC and then some.

If you do get an Xbox One, add me. I'm buy you a new game as a welcome to the system. Whatever you want.