By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony refuses to fix out of warranty PS4 without paying a $99 service fee.

So, I think I'm going to move on to either playing on PC, or just not bothering with non-Nintendo games next gen. My PS4 can't connect to the controller, and Sony wants $99 plus tax to fix it. My PS4 has broken twice on me now. Once when my (former) roommate played it in his room with no ventilation space (this would break anything over time). And now this time, with the idiotic controller connectivity. Keep in mind this system isn't even three years old yet. It's probably a $30 fix at most, but they want $99 for it. 

As far as I'm concerned, Sony has a responsibility to fix any broken PS4, since it is their defective system. But no. They want to make shitty systems that break twice in under three years, all the while trying to charge you an insane fee for fixing it. Might as well call them Apple at this point. 

Anyway I'm just venting here. PC Master Race? 

Around the Network

heres is the deal. if your PS4 is broken and its under warranty. they will fix it for free

if its not. they will charge you. if thats the case and they are asking for 99. thats more than fair. a used PS4 is like 180 or 200.

am pretty sure the other console makers will ask a similar price. 

MasterThief said:

heres is the deal. if your PS4 is broken and its under warranty. they will fix it for free

if its not. they will charge you. if thats the case and they are asking for 99. thats more than fair. a used PS4 is like 180 or 200.

am pretty sure the other console makers will ask a similar price. 

The warranty only lasts a year. A measly year! It's like they know their system will break, and just don't care. They don't even offer extended warranty. Here's hoping my PS4 Pro lasts into the years, so I can enjoy my 40+ game library. 

Bandorr said:
Why even bring up the first time? That is clearly not Sony's fault. It weakens any other argument because it makes you seem like you are grasping for straws.
I can't name any product that will, free of charge, service a device not under warranty.

And I have no clue what "My PS4 can't connect to the controller" means. Does that mean no Controller can connect to your ps4? Or just a specific one?

Just trying to be honest. First time wasn't their fault. But a console simply shouldn't break in under three years. That is silly. Maybe I'm one of the unlucky few. Maybe most PS4's keep working well into their teens like the PS2 did. But having this experience makes me want to not even bother with a PS5. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Bandorr said:
Why even bring up the first time? That is clearly not Sony's fault. It weakens any other argument because it makes you seem like you are grasping for straws.
I can't name any product that will, free of charge, service a device not under warranty.

And I have no clue what "My PS4 can't connect to the controller" means. Does that mean no Controller can connect to your ps4? Or just a specific one?

Just trying to be honest. First time wasn't their fault. But a console simply shouldn't break in under three years. That is silly. Maybe I'm one of the unlucky few. Maybe most PS4's keep working well into their teens like the PS2 did. But having this experience makes me want to not even bother with a PS5. 

If you put any console with a fan at the back of it in an area with no venting then it'll break.

Simple

The console will break if you do this, so that is why Bandorr is saying it sounds like you do not understand the difference between a manufacturing fault and doing something like putting the system into water, one of those is never the fault of the manufacturer unless the product is a pair of speedos

His question about controllers....

Does it connect to other DS4's? Have you tried borrowing a friends and connecting that, would the price of a new DS4 not be cheaper than sending it back if it's just your controller that is broken and not the system.

Regarding not wanting to buy a PS5 because your mate broke your PS4 for you.... Have no idea what to say to that. If someone drove your car into a wall would it put you off that brand of vehicle?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If you put any console with a fan at the back of it in an area with no venting then it'll break.

Simple

The console will break if you do this, so that is why Bandorr is saying it sounds like you do not understand the difference between a manufacturing fault and doing something like putting the system into water, one of those is never the fault of the manufacturer unless the product is a pair of speedos

Does it connect to other DS4's? Have you tried borrowing a friends and connecting that, would the price of a new DS4 not be cheaper than sending it back if it's just your controller that is broken and not the system.

Regarding not wanting to buy a PS5 because your mate broke your PS4 for you.... Have no idea what to say to that. If someone drove your car into a wall would it put you off that brand of vehicle?

I get what you are saying here. Yes, absolutely the first time it broke was my roommate's fault. I don't fault Sony for that at all. 

Yeah, I tried connecting it to my new DS4 from my PS4 Pro. It didn't work. I re-initialized the system. That didn't work either. I rebuilt the database via safe mode. All these things were suggestions from the Playstation support team. But nothing worked. They walked me through every single part of trying to solve the issue. 

I get your point about driving it into a wall. For all I know, the overheating issue caused by my roommate, could have somehow effected this new issue. I shouldn't be crapping all over Sony, when none of it might even be their fault.

So maybe I should just pony up the cash and sell it like I planned once it is fixed? How much does an OG model PS4 with 1TB go for used these days? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Simple

I get what you are saying here. Yes, absolutely the first time it broke was my roommate's fault. I don't fault Sony for that at all. 

Yeah, I tried connecting it to my new DS4 from my PS4 Pro. It didn't work. I re-initialized the system. That didn't work either. I rebuilt the database via safe mode. All these things were suggestions from the Playstation support team. But nothing worked. They walked me through every single part of trying to solve the issue. 

I get your point about driving it into a wall. For all I know, the overheating issue caused by my roommate, could have somehow effected this new issue. I shouldn't be crapping all over Sony, when none of it might even be their fault.

So maybe I should just pony up the cash and sell it like I planned once it is fixed? How much does an OG model PS4 with 1TB go for used these days? 

sounds very strange indeed, but it doesn't work at all? not even while the usb cable is connecting the controller directly to the console? Have you tried both usb ports just incase there is an issue with one of those?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molyhood-Controller-PlayStation-Doubleshock-Length/dp/B07CLHYQPQ/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07CLHYQPQ&pd_rd_r=5eae167e-6f89-11e8-adc1-cfe7469a25ba&pd_rd_w=ZPtaS&pd_rd_wg=Z7rfv&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3274180622111699416&pf_rd_r=Q0SBF6QY368ZSXEDSY02&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Q0SBF6QY368ZSXEDSY02

wondering could you try something like this would you have any luck, if it's useful for you to have a PS4 working like this giving up the wireless aspect of it (thinking it could be damage to the PS4's Bluetooth antenna internally) I don't suppose you have another Bluetooth device you could try and connect to the system (lol impossible without a controller I guess... fuck)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

sounds very strange indeed, but it doesn't work at all? not even while the usb cable is connecting the controller directly to the console? Have you tried both usb ports just incase there is an issue with one of those?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molyhood-Controller-PlayStation-Doubleshock-Length/dp/B07CLHYQPQ/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07CLHYQPQ&pd_rd_r=5eae167e-6f89-11e8-adc1-cfe7469a25ba&pd_rd_w=ZPtaS&pd_rd_wg=Z7rfv&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3274180622111699416&pf_rd_r=Q0SBF6QY368ZSXEDSY02&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=Q0SBF6QY368ZSXEDSY02

wondering could you try something like this would you have any luck, if it's useful for you to have a PS4 working like this giving up the wireless aspect of it (thinking it could be damage to the PS4's Bluetooth antenna internally) I don't suppose you have another Bluetooth device you could try and connect to the system (lol impossible without a controller I guess... fuck)

It only recognizes it in safe mode. Otherwise it fails to recognize it at all. So it's either both USB ports being faulty, or a broken antenna like you said. But how much do those cost to replace? I found some on amazon for under $10. So Sony wants $99 for a fix that would cost maybe $20-$30 for parts and labor. Hopefully I can find a repair shop that will service it for less than what Sony wants. 

Should make your roommate pay for it.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

It only recognizes it in safe mode. Otherwise it fails to recognize it at all. So it's either both USB ports being faulty, or a broken antenna like you said. But how much do those cost to replace? I found some on amazon for under $10. So Sony wants $99 for a fix that would cost maybe $20-$30 for parts and labor. Hopefully I can find a repair shop that will service it for less than what Sony wants. 

Just taking a look there...

https://youtu.be/cTD3jjo1crM?t=10m37s

That's not an easy fix at all... I would be surprised if it would cost you sub 100 to get it repaired even in a local store unless you happen to have any mates who know someone close by that can do it cheaper for you, it really isn't an easy fix (and that is if my hunch is right, I could be a million miles off here, could be something else entirely)

My vote would be a wired controller for the system if it is your backup....

wait....

it recognizes it in safe mode?

Wired or Wirelessly?