By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

CrazyGamer2017 said:
irstupid said:

Xbox and PS4 are not free. XBOX LIVE and PSN

That is what the warning is about. Nintendo's paid online starts in September. At that point, all games, Fortnite, Mario Kart, Splatoon, ect will require you to pay $20 a year for Nintendo's online service. Same as Sony and Xbox. It's the cheapest of the three if that helps.

But only free online is as it always has been PC gaming.

Yes but playing Fortnite online on PS4 is free as PS+ is not required (I assume it's the same on Xbox).

The question is: Is this going to be free too on Switch or will it be locked behind their paywall? That's what we don't know yet. Time will tell.

You need Xbox live gold to play Fortnite on XBox, the other platforms all don't require an online subscription (yet)

For ps4 it doesn't really matter (to me) as I have ps+ and my kids can play on the primary console with their account regardless (yet it is convenient they can use their own account to play Fortnite on the pro which is my secondary) however I don't plan on getting Nintendo live (or whatever it will be called) I'm just curious if I should warn him about leveling up his character on Switch instead of ps4. I don't think he cares anyway, does it make any difference in the game?

Around the Network
Biggerboat1 said:

I can see this back and forth growing arms & legs so I'm going to end on these last points - feel free to respond but I'll most likely not take this debate any further.

Good. You are impervious to logic and don't understand the difference between speculation, accusation, debating etc and you end up mixing everything into a jumble of obfuscation. Believe whatever you want and live happy dude.

Cheers.

SvennoJ said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Yes but playing Fortnite online on PS4 is free as PS+ is not required (I assume it's the same on Xbox).

The question is: Is this going to be free too on Switch or will it be locked behind their paywall? That's what we don't know yet. Time will tell.

You need Xbox live gold to play Fortnite on XBox, the other platforms all don't require an online subscription (yet)

For ps4 it doesn't really matter (to me) as I have ps+ and my kids can play on the primary console with their account regardless (yet it is convenient they can use their own account to play Fortnite on the pro which is my secondary) however I don't plan on getting Nintendo live (or whatever it will be called) I'm just curious if I should warn him about leveling up his character on Switch instead of ps4. I don't think he cares anyway, does it make any difference in the game?

Oh so on Xbox you must have Gold? So this is an advantage to the PS4 as it does not require PS+ to play Fortnite. A strategic mistake from Microsoft in my opinion.

In any case you and your kids should choose which platform you'd rather play the game on, which one is more convenient because as things are, they must choose one and won't be able to play on the other (Unless you guys create a new Fortnite account on Switch and use two accounts or something).

Though it is worth mentioning that this backlash could pressure Sony into giving up on their cross-play limitations, time will tell.

SvennoJ said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

PS4 locks out EG accounts from Switch. Playing on Switch also disables the ability to play Fortnite on PS4.

You can play the same EG accounts on X1 and Switch but not PS4. PS4 locks out EG accounts associated with other console platforms. Something to consider.

KLAMarine said:
SvennoJ said:

PS4 locks out EG accounts from Switch. Playing on Switch also disables the ability to play Fortnite on PS4.

You can play the same EG accounts on X1 and Switch but not PS4. PS4 locks out EG accounts associated with other console platforms. Something to consider.

The same is said about Xbox. It locks you out of PS4, and vise versa.

It just isn't a big deal because no one wants to do that. The reason it has come to everyone attention and is a big deal now is because you have like a million PS4 owners who want to play Fortnite on the go (their switch), so a million people upset versus like nobody upset that they couldn't log into Xbox or PS4 switching. No one ever noticed, cause why would you switch consoles? If you own both, you likely have them both hooked up to same tv and thus only ever use the same one to play fortnite. So it was a problem that went unnoticed before.

Around the Network

watching folk defend this is quite funny

EricHiggin said:

Kid gloves? How is what PS is doing so horrible when you agreed what XB did with PUBG was "scummy", or in other words, just as bad if not worse? It's not like XB did this back during the 360 days, or even at the beginning of the gen, it was just last year, after Phil has been spewing his 'I hate exclusivity' BS for years now. Yet all you've heard at XB E3 for the last couple years is exclusive, exclusive, exclusive, and now all of the sudden since it's 2018, everything changes because XB and Nin say so?

It's funny how I don't recall seeing anyone mentioning/offering that XB should definitely agree to port PUBG to PS4 asap, along with PS unlocking the Fortnite accounts. That kind of thinking where XB can get away with what they did but PS can't, is having your cake and eating it too, and life doesn't work like that. Why XB and Nin poked fun at PS and didn't bother to follow that up with a tweet like, 'hey how about a trade, PUBG for unlocked Fortnite accounts?', boggles my mind. The XB PR win on that one would be so huge due to how truly pro consumer it would be, but hey, let's all just forget about that an pay attention to who the media's bad guy of the week is.

If your going to say PS needs to be dealt with appropriately, I'm on board, but only if your going at it from every angle, holding everyone guilty of this "crime" accountable. Every single day, everything and everyone are blamed for a past they may or may not have had anything to do with, so console gaming surely doesn't get a pass.

Yes, I've said Microsoft's handling of PUBG is scummy and I stand by that statement but this thread isn't about PUBG, it's about Switch not being able to play an EG account hijacked by Sony. As far as I can recall, the Switch has never denied the release of a multi-plat game on PS4 and yet Sony has screwed over Switch owners.

It's not directly about quite a few things we've both brought up, but how are you supposed to make a point if you can't go even slightly outside of the absolute specifics of the topic? Even mentioning that Switch never denied multi platform games on PS4 would be off topic then. I'm glad Nin is opening up and becoming more pro consumer overall outside of just their specific hardware fan base, but based on their past, they were way more anti consumer than PS or XB were. It actually helped PS become as popular as it has over the gens.

Here's an article about the legal matters behind the Fortnite issue. It's pretty clear based on the rules as they exist that PS and Epic are in the clear. It does also mention that there are matters like this that are being looked into and talks about if and or how they should be changed and properly implemented eventually, thanks to changing technologies and decades of anti consumer tactics by many different companies.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/features/fortnite-nintendo-switch-ps4-laws-1202851944/

irstupid said:
KLAMarine said:

The same is said about Xbox. It locks you out of PS4, and vise versa.

It just isn't a big deal because no one wants to do that. The reason it has come to everyone attention and is a big deal now is because you have like a million PS4 owners who want to play Fortnite on the go (their switch), so a million people upset versus like nobody upset that they couldn't log into Xbox or PS4 switching. No one ever noticed, cause why would you switch consoles? If you own both, you likely have them both hooked up to same tv and thus only ever use the same one to play fortnite. So it was a problem that went unnoticed before.

It's definitely an issue now and several indicators lay the blame on Sony for this mess.

Baddman said:
watching folk defend this is quite funny

You'd think some of these people were pawns for Sony with the lengths they're going to defend lol

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I can see this back and forth growing arms & legs so I'm going to end on these last points - feel free to respond but I'll most likely not take this debate any further.

Good. You are impervious to logic and don't understand the difference between speculation, accusation, debating etc and you end up mixing everything into a jumble of obfuscation. Believe whatever you want and live happy dude.

Cheers.

You were the one speculating while most users were sticking to the facts from page 1 onward, and now you're putting down others for making the thread complicated. That is rich.