By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to PS4 graphical leap

Terrible choice for screenshot in the OP lol, it's such a low quality image, lol. But anyone that still thinks the PS4 is only a minor jump over PS3 graphically, five years into the gen, has no idea what they're talking about, there were games coming out in the first year that showed insane visuals... I mean, just look at inFamous Second Son, Sucker Punches first game this gen... even today it still looks bloody gorgeous, and games have only been improving, especially on the first party front! Compare Beyond: Two Souls to Detroit: Become Human and tell me there isn't much of a difference... or go earlier and compare Heavy Rain to Detroit!

I mean sure, early gen games don't always look like a huge leap over the previous consoles, but comparing an end-gen game to an early-gen game isn't the best comparison to be making in the first place.



Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Rafie said:
You could have made this same case with Horizon and/or God of War. Hell, I could make the case with The Order.

You can make the case with The Order, but with how short and linear it was There's always that bit of doubt to how good the larger, more vast games can look. Horizon, Uncharted 4, God of War, and DMC 5 most recently really put everything into perspective as to how much these systems can handle. 

I hear what you're saying. Still even though the game was linear, it shouldn't have any bearings on how the game looked visually. Remember before we found out how short the game was...most of us were amazed at how the game looked. It was beautiful, and at the time...the best looking game this gen had to offer.



PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

0D0 said:
Rafie said:
You could have made this same case with Horizon and/or God of War. Hell, I could make the case with The Order.

I know but, still many don't see how this generation has improved over the best games of last generation, however I reckon after what we've seen this week, it's definitive evidence.

I haven’t really seen many people do that for a while now... beginning of the gen yeah.  Especially comparing stuff to games like last of us, which still might look better than some games that come out...



PS1 to Dreamcast was the biggest leap we've ever seen. PS3 to PS4 was small by comparison.



Rafie said:
bigtakilla said:

You can make the case with The Order, but with how short and linear it was There's always that bit of doubt to how good the larger, more vast games can look. Horizon, Uncharted 4, God of War, and DMC 5 most recently really put everything into perspective as to how much these systems can handle. 

I hear what you're saying. Still even though the game was linear, it shouldn't have any bearings on how the game looked visually. Remember before we found out how short the game was...most of us were amazed at how the game looked. It was beautiful, and at the time...the best looking game this gen had to offer.

Agreed. 



Around the Network
0D0 said:

I've heard many saying that PS4 is just PS3 graphics with a bit of polishing.

After seeing PS4 E3 2018 lineup, can we agree that the graphical leap between PS3 and PS4 is actually impressive? Have we had this level of graphical realism on PS3?

Did they ever specify that this game is really coming to PS4 though?
Because while the character models look normal for PS4, and the animations frankly could use some polish, the environments looked unreal. All those leaves flying around and on the ground... I just can't imagine that working on a PS4.

So this may be a title for PS5.



The problem here is that going from NES to SNES, the difference was night and day. Even when comparing late gen NES titles like Kirby to launch titles like Super Mario World. The same thing goes for PS1 to PS2, and PS2 to PS3. But going from Original Xbox to PS3/360 wasn't that big of a difference right out of the gate. So people were dissappointed going from gen 6 to gen 7. And with the PS4 people were rightfully dissapointed going from PS3 to PS4, because the late gen PS3 games looked nearly identical to the launch title PS4 games.



I think you are looking at it wrong.

What happens is that as tech evolves, the perceptable graphical difference from one generation to the next is less noticeable by the human eye.

I imagine next gen will be an even harder sell. It also begs the question, do we even need better graphics than this? Personally, i don't. Though i could do with better performance (60fps). That s what i'd like from next gen.

Last edited by Nem - on 14 June 2018

Nem said:
I think you are looking at it wrong.

What happens is that as tech evolves, the perceptable graphical difference from one generation to the next is less noticeabke by the human eye.

I imagine next gen will be an even harder sell. It also begs the question, do we even need better graphics than this? Personally, i don't. Though i could do with better performance (60fps). That s what i'd like from next gen.

Yeah, I'm convinced that 60 FPS with 4K is about all they will be able to do for next gen. Whether it's PC or otherwise. It just takes too much time for artists to put in enough work to get photo-realism. Even if a PC or console could process that level of detail, hiring the artists wouldn't be feasible. We already have artists working 60 hours a week, just to get the level of graphics that we see on current gen systems. And those games made by 60 hour weeks of labor, need to charge $60, plus an expansion pass to make money back. So unless we want games to cost $120 for a complete edition we are better off just staying where we are at graphicswise, and focusing on resolution/framerate for next gen. 



Cerebralbore101 said:
The problem here is that going from NES to SNES, the difference was night and day. Even when comparing late gen NES titles like Kirby to launch titles like Super Mario World. The same thing goes for PS1 to PS2, and PS2 to PS3. But going from Original Xbox to PS3/360 wasn't that big of a difference right out of the gate. So people were dissappointed going from gen 6 to gen 7. And with the PS4 people were rightfully dissapointed going from PS3 to PS4, because the late gen PS3 games looked nearly identical to the launch title PS4 games.

They did? I saw nothing on last gen consoles, even at the end, that could keep up with Killzone: Shadowfall or Ryse graphically. They were considerably more detailed with techniques to a degree that you couldn't get out of those older machines (AF and advanced lighting being two of the biggest things). SSS on characters was also apparent in those two games in ways that even Beyond: Two Souls couldn't match.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 14 June 2018