By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to PS4 graphical leap

I played AC:FC the other week and cringed at how bad the graphics were compared to games releasing now. Obviously, they needed to downgrade for last gen.

I also just played Metro last light... Ulgh. Bad

Around the Network
Rafie said:
You could have made this same case with Horizon and/or God of War. Hell, I could make the case with The Order.

You can make the case with The Order, but with how short and linear it was There's always that bit of doubt to how good the larger, more vast games can look. Horizon, Uncharted 4, God of War, and DMC 5 most recently really put everything into perspective as to how much these systems can handle. 

CGI-Quality said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:
I played AC:FC the other week and cringed at how bad the graphics were compared to games releasing now. Obviously, they needed to downgrade for last gen.

I also just played Metro last light... Ulgh. Bad

You must have played that on last gen consoles (or the Redux, which is still miles behind the maxed PC version).

Exactly,. Ps3 ps+ game. Freedom Cry was ps4 ps+

We'll get the same thing when the PS5 releases because people will compare the very last generation of graphics on the PS4 (this) with the very first generation of graphics on the PS5. But, that gap will be smaller even though it will still be noticeable.

The PS5 Exists. 

I've been saying since day one that the leap from PS3 to PS4 is massive. Killzone: Shadow Fall showcased that at launch, and then we had the same kind of next gen graphics on inFamous: Second Son, which was open world. Those two alone quickly showcased that PS4 was much more capable than PS3.

Anyway, it's the same old shit every gen.

-> Console gets announced
-> People say specs are disappointing
-> People base the capabilities of said new console based on cross gen ports saying stuff like "huh, it looks just like last gen, just a bit better"
-> When truly next gen titles hit, these same people still can't recognize that they look vastly superior to last gen titles and say stuff like "it looks a bit better, but it would be possible on last gen with a few concessions"
-> After that, we have the phase in the gen where people get used to pretty new games and forget how ugly and outdated last gen titles look now, so they glorify them with nostalgia goggles
-> And finally after 3 or 4 years into the generation people admit that it indeed looks stunning

Looking forward for this cycle to repeat with PS5. .-.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
The problem is when people compare the tail end of the old generation (when they've mastered the hardware) to the start of the new (that they're only just getting to know). Cross gen and launch games won't make the most of the new hardware. Comparing early to early or late to late software provides a better measure, and in that regard it certainly does feel like a generational leap.

Exactly, this happens every generation.

I remember back when 360 launched it was getting called Xbox 1.5, most of the 3rd party titles were cross-gen, the 1st party titles started development on previous gen hardware and adoption rates of HDTVs were still pretty low so we werent really seeing the full potential.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

bigtakilla said:
Rafie said:
You could have made this same case with Horizon and/or God of War. Hell, I could make the case with The Order.

You can make the case with The Order, but with how short and linear it was There's always that bit of doubt to how good the larger, more vast games can look. Horizon, Uncharted 4, God of War, and DMC 5 most recently really put everything into perspective as to how much these systems can handle. 

I hear what you're saying. Still even though the game was linear, it shouldn't have any bearings on how the game looked visually. Remember before we found out how short the game was...most of us were amazed at how the game looked. It was beautiful, and at the time...the best looking game this gen had to offer.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

0D0 said:
Rafie said:

I know but, still many don't see how this generation has improved over the best games of last generation, however I reckon after what we've seen this week, it's definitive evidence.

I haven’t really seen many people do that for a while now... beginning of the gen yeah.  Especially comparing stuff to games like last of us, which still might look better than some games that come out...

PS1 to Dreamcast was the biggest leap we've ever seen. PS3 to PS4 was small by comparison.

Rafie said:
bigtakilla said:

I hear what you're saying. Still even though the game was linear, it shouldn't have any bearings on how the game looked visually. Remember before we found out how short the game was...most of us were amazed at how the game looked. It was beautiful, and at the time...the best looking game this gen had to offer.

Agreed.