By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 to PS4 graphical leap

The leap is huge for AAA first party games but not so much for lower budget multiplats. Open world ps4 games especially look a generation above open world ps3 games.

Around the Network

Having gone back to play many PS3 games recently I can tell you when people turn round and say PS3 graphics to a PS4 game, they are usually out of their minds :D

The gap is pretty big and only one or two games at the end of the PS3 could be classed as start of PS4 gen and for obvious reasons.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

yvanjean said:
0D0 said:

I've heard many saying that PS4 is just PS3 graphics with a bit of polishing.

After seeing PS4 E3 2018 lineup, can we agree that the graphical leap between PS3 and PS4 is actually impressive? Have we had this level of graphical realism on PS3?

Is that a PS4 or PS4 Pro image? Beside the gap in graphic between PS4 Launch game and end of generation is going to be major. 

I don't know, just found that screenshot googling.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

John2290 said:
Yup. No need to go as far as GOT though. Horizon, GTS, GoW and detroit have all released and proven console games are not only and massive leap ahead of PS3 but also leading ahead of vanilla, unmodded PC visuals in current day. GoT just looks like it could be for the next gen of consoles,I know sony and I know they wouldn't do that but it looks like a double gen leap to the ps3. I'm quite amazed.

Me too, I guess we've the games that we got now, we can see it's not only a true generation leap but a massive one.

I guess PS2 to PS3 had HD and that made a huge difference, but the leap that we have today from PS3 isn't just "fine" either.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

TallSilhouette said:
The problem is when people compare the tail end of the old generation (when they've mastered the hardware) to the start of the new (that they're only just getting to know). Cross gen and launch games won't make the most of the new hardware. Comparing early to early or late to late software provides a better measure, and in that regard it certainly does feel like a generational leap.

I guess early PS3 to early PS4 comparison must show an even bigger leap.

God bless You.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Those "many" were clueless to begin with - IIRC, Sony themselves said when PS4 was revelad (in post conference show with Geoff Keighley) that it's around 10x PS3.

Depends on what metric you use. In some instance the improvement is 17x, some other metrics it is 10x, other metrics it is 8x... But those are all just hard numbers.
They don't tell us the efficiency gains, they don't tell us the new tricks the hardware is capable of.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real-world gain is about 15x once everything is accounted for.
The Geforce in the Playstation 3 was pretty archaic, hot, slow and inefficient.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The graphical leap between ps3 and ps4 is still huge. I mean you could make a case that the scene from the OP is not more impressive than the scene of MGS3 on ps2 where The Boss fights Big Boss. Eitherway in your head it might look similar but technical wise its so wide apart. Its just that the ArtDirection of some older games are just so good that the technical stuff blurs into the background and you think it looks better graphics wise.
Also that screenshot is really low rez. You can really not compare it.

Also play the second half of Uncharted: Lost Legacy if you want to see what the standart PS4 is capable of :)

Last edited by Ultr - on 13 June 2018

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:
Those "many" were clueless to begin with - IIRC, Sony themselves said when PS4 was revelad (in post conference show with Geoff Keighley) that it's around 10x PS3.

Depends on what metric you use. In some instance the improvement is 17x, some other metrics it is 10x, other metrics it is 8x... But those are all just hard numbers.
They don't tell us the efficiency gains, they don't tell us the new tricks the hardware is capable of.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real-world gain is about 15x once everything is accounted for.
The Geforce in the Playstation 3 was pretty archaic, hot, slow and inefficient.

True that. I don't really recall who was it (it was really long ago), but it was someone from Sony in that interview that said 10x. Which is quite decent.

I can see why most people thought it's not such a leap, always comparing PS2 to PS3 (instead of original Xbox as most poweful console of that gen to PS360), especially after such a long cycle, but it still was quite a nice jump.

0D0 said:
yvanjean said:

Is that a PS4 or PS4 Pro image? Beside the gap in graphic between PS4 Launch game and end of generation is going to be major. 

I don't know, just found that screenshot googling.

PS4 and Xbox one were criticized for not having next gen graphic. The technology was simply not ready to give a 1080P 60 FPS even though it was the longest gap between console revision. 

You think people complain on PS4 it was much worst for Xbox One were resolution was lower and they failed to hit 1080P on most games. All of the big games failed to hit 1080P 60 FPS actually 60 fps has been the biggest disappointment for this generation of console.  Seem like finally we will get the choice between Resolution or framerate with the mid generation consoles and NExt Gen console. 

If you are comparing graphics between gens.. The Last of Us 1 and 2 would probably be a better comparison

And Detroit:Become Human, that game has astonishingly good character models. You can see a HUGE difference between that game and Quantic Dreams last game - Beyond:Two Souls on the PS3.