By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cyberpunk is a first person shooter RPG, play as male or female

I hope they put in the option for 3rd person because the options with costumes via the cyberpunk world was one of the reasons I was super excited about this. I went from 100 to close to 0 because I just can't get into first person RPG titles.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
What I take away from this thread, is that not enough people know how all time great Deus Ex was.

With all due respect, I don't care how great of a game it was. Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock, Portal,  etc, etc. All those critically acclaimed First Person games?, I won't play them just because they are in first person. I don't care if that sounds close-minded or "dumb" or "whiny". I've only played a few games in first person. I feel that it limits my interactions with the game world and I don't feel any more immersed by not seeing my character. In fact, I feel less immersed. I want to see my character and how he/she reacts to everything around him/her. This is specially true for me in an RPG where you create your character.

This game went from a "must buy" to a "pass".

PD: To all those people saying this is a small detail and people shouldn't whine?, I guarantee you have at least one reason for not buying a game that other people may also say is a small detail and no one should "whine" about it.

Spike0503 said:
Angelus said:
What I take away from this thread, is that not enough people know how all time great Deus Ex was.

With all due respect, I don't care how great of a game it was. Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock, Portal,  etc, etc. All those critically acclaimed First Person games?, I won't play them just because they are in first person. I don't care if that sounds close-minded or "dumb" or "whiny". I've only played a few games in first person. I feel that it limits my interactions with the game world and I don't feel any more immersed by not seeing my character. In fact, I feel less immersed. I want to see my character and how he/she reacts to everything around him/her. This is specially true for me in an RPG where you create your character.

PD: To all those people saying this is a small detail and people shouldn't whine?, I guarantee you have at least one reason for not buying a game that other people may also say is a small detail and no one should "whine" about it.

I actually found it the complete opposite. Seeing through first person camera views immersed me far, far more than 3rd person, simply because we as a species do not have some godlike orbiting camera to view how we look and how we move.

I've played both types of games in good number and I enjoy both, but I find 1st person to being far more immersive than third. I also feel no limitations in interacting with the world than I do for third.

For me it's gone from possible buy to a must buy. Guess we're on the opposite side of the fence (like everyone else is for anything else).

Don't pull that straw man. it shows an overly aggressive side, and it's been made clear now within this thread that the 3rd person die hard fans do not like being given a different opinion or being told differently. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Mummelmann said:
Great news all around for me, first person RPG's are rare nowadays. I'll take that any day over a 3rd person cover shooter or hotkey spam fest, which most "RPG's" are turning into today.

I can see why they are rare these days, seemingly due to another crowd wanting them dead by way of "no first person mode".

Yeah, online multiplayer and contriver loot systems are taking over the industry, this is a breath of fresh air for me. Even Bioware are walking straight into the always online crap with their next big title obviously being geared towards multiplayer, Bethesda are going much the same route with Fallout 76.

Chazore said:

I actually found it the complete opposite. Seeing through first person camera views immersed me far, far more than 3rd person, simply because we as a species do not have some godlike orbiting camera to view how we look and how we move.

I've played both types of games in good number and I enjoy both, but I find 1st person to being far more immersive than third. I also feel no limitations in interacting with the world than I do for third.

For me it's gone from possible buy to a must buy. Guess we're on the opposite side of the fence (like everyone else is for anything else).

Don't pull that straw man. it shows an overly aggressive side, and it's been made clear now within this thread that the 3rd person die hard fans do not like being given a different opinion or being told differently. 

Indeed we disagree but that's fair enough.

It's not my intention to sound overtly aggressive but I've seen people here and in Youtube comments saying that those who complain about this are whining and/or that it's basically a non-issue. I didn't mean to attack you, Angelus or anyone specific. I'm just tired of seeing people that don't understand that a first or third person perspective is a HUGE factor for some people in getting a game.

Around the Network
Spike0503 said:
Angelus said:

I can understand having a preference, a very strong one even, of one perspective over another. Flat out refusing to play certain games based on the the perspective though….that does seem rather closed-minded to me, unless it's a situation where the perspective is causing you physical discomfort. I know some people experience nausea, and other symptoms when viewing movies or games with first person camera angles. 

Now, obviously that doesn't change the fact that it's your prerogative to write off a game for whatever reason you so choose. Be it the camera angle, or whatever else you might take issue with, running the spectrum from genre to what color shoelaces the protagonist wears. We can all be more or less as open, or closed-minded as we want in regards to our entertainment. Doesn't mean I can't scratch my head at it though. 

Spike0503 said:
Chazore said:

Indeed we disagree but that's fair enough.

It's not my intention to sound overtly aggressive but I've seen people here and in Youtube comments saying that those who complain about this are whining and/or that it's basically a non-issue. I didn't mean to attack you, Angelus or anyone specific. I'm just tired of seeing people that don't understand that a first or third person perspective is a HUGE factor for some people in getting a game.

The thing is, is that the crowd who wants it to be 3rd person, are actively making it out to be "3rd or nothing", which sets a bad example, because it's like that group wants everything they like to be third person, over what anyone else likes. I mean, just look at the mobile market, people over there were fine with MT's, and now they've seeped into console/PC gaming, but because half of the crowd doesn't mind it (some even advocate it) it starts to be spammed more over time.

First person RPG's are quite rare these days. Sure we get a ton of First person action shooters, but not strict 1st person only RPG's, and definitely not ones based off table top games.

Next year we'll be seeing an absolute bounty of 3rd person perspective games, and even over the shoulder based ones. Meanwhile we'll have one table top based first person RPG cyberpunk game.

I didn't think you were attacking anyone btw. But I did feel a level of aggressiveness coming from that last part is all. I don't mind either camera angle tbh, but I wouldn't want one completely overriding the other (like Capcom is now fully doing with the Resi series).

First person views can also be a huge factor for drawing people in as well, I mean it worked for DOOM, Wolfenstein, Skyrim, Fallout etc. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Eh, I was expecting it to be a TPS/RPG lite.

But then I thought about the VR capabilities.. and, yeah its not so bad.

Well I'm interested in this game now. Sorry for people who don't like First person. but to be fair it's kind of silly to think one game the developer is making is going to be third-person because their other game was third-person. and add the fact that there have been rumors going around for a while now saying the game was going to be first-person. you should just keep your expectations in check.

I'm cool with either perspective. But since I'll be playing this on PC, I actually prefer first person when using a mouse. Sucks for those who can't (or don't want to) deal with first person, though.