By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What Is Happening To Gaming Forums?

Ok, for context I've just been banned from Resetera for a week. I cannot copy and paste what I actually typed but I'll attempt to explain after I post the reason:

You have been banned for the following reason: User Banned (1 Week): Repeatedly trying to re-frame a gay kiss as an agenda against men. 

The word 'repeated' there is ironic to begin with because all I was simply doing is trying to explain what I meant to the many people who seemed intent on interpreting what I'd written incorrectly. So what was the crux of what I'd said?

I found the opening scene of TLOU2 problematic and many others (on other forums) had too. Of course the homophobic card was pulled immediately. I was merely pointing out that just because those people found that scene problematic doesn't mean they're automatically homophobic. I said I thought the kiss in Left Behind was the most beautiful and moving scene I'd ever seen in a video game, and I stand by that. This was Neil at his best. This scene however felt forced, manufactured and corny.

I pointed out that it FELT (note the word) agenda driven. I wasn't specific because I know that agenda actually DOES exist on forums, an irony that was clearly overlooked and will forever be overlooked until my ban lifts and I can point it out (and get banned again more than likely). There is a climate at the moment ... you may have heard it mentioned a couple of times here and there, and that's the climate of 'toxic masculinity'. If you haven't heard that mentioned then I'd assume you live under a rock. Many films and TV series are expressing this by devaluing the male protagonists and giving more worth to the female protagonists. The new Star Wars movie is the perfect example of that. But remember, I said none of this in the post on Resetera.

My argument had nothing whatsoever to do with the kiss. Nothing at all. I've been around many gay people all my life, went to many raves and parties were gay people freely showed their love for one and other, and I found it wonderful that such expressions of love could be aired so openly and sincerely. I'm a child of the 60s when freedom, not labels was the focus of the people I mixed with. I was a feminist and I was proud of it. 

So my problem is this: Ellie mentions to her girlfriend that there were lots of 'men' watching her. Ellie's girlfriend said 'perhaps they're looking at you'. Perfectly reasonable. no problem there. But then we get a particular line: 'Oh, Ellie, I think they should be terrified of you.' There is no ambiguity here. She's talking about men. Still we are OK though because the context is jealously. But then we transition into a scene where Ellie is gauging a knife into a man's neck. This is deliberate. There is no doubt about it. Neil clearly thought this was a good way of mirroring (a writing term for cutting between two scenes with opposite emotional or narrative implications). 

The problem I have, and what I suggested might also be throwing others off is, not only is that a crass and unsubtle switch, it can also FEEL (note that word again) agenda driven in the current climate. I said that IF (note that word too) it was done because of the current climate, then it WOULD be agenda driven. 

I was talking about the transition between the scenes and what I was talking about had nothing at all to do with the kiss. I made that crystal clear in the post and in the many replies to those who clearly had an agenda to paint me homophobic. You would have to ignore the fact I'd said the kiss in Left Behind was beautiful to even come close to drawing that conclusion. I feel as if intelligent conversation is being stifled and anyone with a different point of view is just being banned. What sort of 'forum' does that? A forum is supposed to be a place to discuss, debate or even (if you're luck) have a decent dialectic. I've never been accused of that in my life and to be accused of that is hurtful. 

I'll hit return and probably end up realising I could have explained better. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Nothing is happening. Its just sjw and their double standards regarding free speeh.
Move your time, moneu and comments to places that respect free speech. Simple as that. While they still exist...

Ka-pi96 said:
You're complaining about poor moderation on a known SJW hive-mind site? Like, no shit Sherlock

Well, yeah, I knew the worse of GAF had migrated there but I wrote what I said so clearly I didn't think anyone could misconstrue. What I didn't bargain for is the amount of people who seemed to want to deliberately misconstrue. It became a feeding party.

The PS5 Exists. 

Ka-pi96 said:
You're complaining about poor moderation on a known SJW hive-mind site? Like, no shit Sherlock

Yep. It doesn’t matter what your belief is, how well you explain yourself, nothing. If the opinion can be interpreted as opposite the hive mind it only takes one person to twist it and the rest of the sheep fall in. Welcome to Resetera. Has nothing to do with gaming forums, that place is just a shithole.

Seriously, I think you yourself wrote what you accuse the mods there of doing.
You wrote "it can also FEEL (note that word again) agenda driven in the current climate".
The mods seem to feel that your writing was agenda driven in the current climate.
Aside from "the current climate", it doesn't sound like you claim there is any ultimate problem with the scene.
So you're politicizing it not on it's merit but because of your sentiment about other happenings.
And that's what they're doing re: your comment. Even though as you point out it's fine on it's own merit.
But your very argument opens the door to considering that unrelated happenings are valid to pass judgement on something.
I don't know what else to say beyond that. 

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 12 June 2018

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yep. It doesn’t matter what your belief is, how well you explain yourself, nothing. If the opinion can be interpreted as opposite the hive mind it only takes one person to twist it and the rest of the sheep fall in. Welcome to Resetera. Has nothing to do with gaming forums, that place is just a shithole.

I'm going to take this opportunity to agree with you, Ludicrous. It's nice to find some common ground for a change. :)

The PS5 Exists. 

mutantsushi said:

Seriously, I think you yourself wrote what you accuse the mods there of doing.
You wrote "it can also FEEL (note that word again) agenda driven in the current climate".
The mods seem to feel that your writing was agenda driven in the current climate.
Aside from "the current climate", it doesn't sound like you claim there is any ultimate problem with the scene.
Certainly if it wasn't homo pair in the scene, it would be simple sentimental vs violent potential contrast right?
And you don't seem inclined to see that contrast as impossible just because they're homo right?
So you're politicizing it not on it's merit but because of your sentiment about other happenings.
And that's what they're doing re: your comment. Even though as you point out it's fine on it's own merit.
But your very argument opens the door to considering that unrelated happenings are valid to pass judgement on something.
I don't know what else to say beyond that.

Many people said this on that forum too but this time I'll answer. It couldn't have been a man, could it now. The mirroring is entirely reliant upon both scenes referring to males. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Well, i deleted that because it was irrelevant to broader point.

You got banned on SJW echo-chamber forum for not conforming to their ideology? How...unexpected.

That´s Resetera for you.And in case you´re right about an agenda, what is Neil and his team intending here?