By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Incredibly impressive: Ghost of Tsushima !!!!

xl-klaudkil said:
Absolutely amazing! Cant wait to play it on ps5

Don’t own a PS4 yet? Why?



Around the Network

It's the highlight of E3 for me. I always wanted to play a samurai game like this.



Ghost of Tsushima is badass man. It had me on the edge of my seat, so definitely picking this up on day one.



Errorist76 said:
xl-klaudkil said:
Absolutely amazing! Cant wait to play it on ps5

Don’t own a PS4 yet? Why?

Let's not pretend for a moment it was real time PS4 footage. Maybe PS4 Pro on standard HD but even then, that's a stretch. There was no LoD or physics change with distance to begin with, not a single pop-in as far as I recall, and the scripted particle effects also point on that direction. Even PCs with much stronger GPUs will have trouble if you artificially increase object distance to that ammount on games such as The Witcher III or GTA V etc. 



 

 

 

 

 

These were the details leaked before E3:

 

  • Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
  • Japanese voice over is a must for this game in order to truly feel like a samurai epic, but the English is superb (as many of you could probably tell from the reveal trailer.
  • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just "take out these soldiers and you retake the village". Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
  • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
  • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don't expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy ( poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
  • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
  • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
  • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won't be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don't worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it's up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
  • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
  • You don't necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.
  • E3 demo focuses on showing travelling on horseback from point A to B, showcases samurai combat and ninja (ghost) combat. Starts off with picking off targets very akin MGS or Tenchu, but goes full on combat Nioh/For Honor with different attack stances, the enemies are smart so you cannot just spam an attack, as they will block, or worse, counter you. Combat is graphic, depending on your slice, can decapitate (samurai were known for decapitation their foes so it makes sense), severe limbs. Rated M for sure. No bullet sponge enemies, one or two good strikes on a normal foot soldier can take them out, but you are also very squishy in your ghost gear. Boss fight at the end, but I won't spoil the surprise.

 

I would say much of the rumored details is accurate. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the English dub is handled, so far. I'll likely end up playing the game twice in Japanese and English. The gameplay footage was Jin in "samurai mode" with some ghost aspects such as the grappling hook. Most of the normal foot soldiers went down in a few hits. In Jin's fight against Masako, you see that he changes his stance. I spotted at least three: "high" (overhead), "mid" (shoulder), and "low" (waist). Jin got hit once by Masako because he was using "mid" defense while she attacked low.

I think Ghost of Tsushima has become my most anticipated upcoming 1st party game and I really want to see how the ghost combat plays out.



Around the Network
Aura7541 said:

These were the details leaked before E3:

 

  • Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
  • Japanese voice over is a must for this game in order to truly feel like a samurai epic, but the English is superb (as many of you could probably tell from the reveal trailer.
  • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just "take out these soldiers and you retake the village". Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
  • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
  • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don't expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy ( poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
  • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
  • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
  • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won't be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don't worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it's up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
  • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
  • You don't necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.
  • E3 demo focuses on showing travelling on horseback from point A to B, showcases samurai combat and ninja (ghost) combat. Starts off with picking off targets very akin MGS or Tenchu, but goes full on combat Nioh/For Honor with different attack stances, the enemies are smart so you cannot just spam an attack, as they will block, or worse, counter you. Combat is graphic, depending on your slice, can decapitate (samurai were known for decapitation their foes so it makes sense), severe limbs. Rated M for sure. No bullet sponge enemies, one or two good strikes on a normal foot soldier can take them out, but you are also very squishy in your ghost gear. Boss fight at the end, but I won't spoil the surprise.

 

I would say much of the rumored details is accurate. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the English dub is handled, so far. I'll likely end up playing the game twice in Japanese and English. The gameplay footage was Jin in "samurai mode" with some ghost aspects such as the grappling hook. Most of the normal foot soldiers went down in a few hits. In Jin's fight against Masako, you see that he changes his stance. I spotted at least three: "high" (overhead), "mid" (shoulder), and "low" (waist). Jin got hit once by Masako because he was using "mid" defense while she attacked low.

I think Ghost of Tsushima has become my most anticipated upcoming 1st party game and I really want to see how the ghost combat plays out.

Thanks for posting that info. Hmm. It's an action rpg like I hoped. I'll probably play as a mix because I like stealth, archery and sword combat. 



Aeolus451 said:
It's the highlight of E3 for me. I always wanted to play a samurai game like this.

Finally a samurai-game with strong quality =)

In the past, I had played "Yakuza Ishin" on PS4(from japan), but I wanted a real "PS4 POWER"-Feeling and "Ghost of Tsushima" has it now :) i'm very happy about it.

deskpro2k3 said:
Ghost of Tsushima is badass man. It had me on the edge of my seat, so definitely picking this up on day one.

oh yeah, sooo true. Look the beautiful details !!! <3



TruckOSaurus said:
Machina said:
I was a little underwhelmed tbh. I love the setting, most of the visuals, and the concept but the fighting looks a bit... dull. Kinda reminds me of Assassin's Creed's combat, which is the thing that turned me off that franchise in the first place. Coming to this after watching TLoUII's gameplay walkthrough also, it just doesn't feel very ambitious.

I hope the stealth scenarios become much more complex than what we saw with him entering that building from above and then just insta-killing everyone. Hoping for some large scale village infiltrations once the Mongols take over territory, for example, where you're incentivised to methodically take out enemies using different approaches and weapons. A sort of modern Tenchu.

Side note - glad there'll be Japanese voices and subtitles, that's definitely going to be the best way to play it. Hearing them speak English when everything else about the game is steeped in ancient Japanese culture is a bit jarring.

Still high on my radar, but it's slipped well below TLoUII after seeing them both in action.

A modern Tenchu would be so great! I miss those games.

Are sleeping on Seriko: Shadow's Die Twice?  Major Tenchu vibe there.



I love samuraininja games they are my favorite we don't get enough of them IMO. Nioh is my favorite souls games because of this. This looks amazing. Unfortunately no chance of this coming to PC but my PS4 Pro will be ready.



I was expecting a much more fluid gameplay experience, not another glued to the ground over the shoulder thing.