By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The lack of arcade racers is an eyesore.

Would you count Redout? Also, Jak X, Burnout and Wipeout have versions on PS4 even if they are ports of older games (Wipeout also has amazing PSVR support). I see what you mean though, I can't really think of much. I guess we'll get a CTR remake eventually.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
dx11332sega said:

Ow wow sad news for Onrush devs can Nintendo afford to pick them up probably not? but Nintendo is the only company without realistic graphically racing game

Personally I think Playground Games or Sumo Digital would be a better fit, since they are both in the UK. These guys know terrain deformation (motorstorm), so they can help with Horizon. Or Sumo Digital (Team Sonic Racing), the other unrealistic graphic racing game. 

Not sure if MS would be cool with it but it would be great if Sumo Digital would revive PGR once they are done with Crackdown 3. 

Chris Hu said:
GOWTLOZ said:

There are plenty of arcady games that do that stuff.

Sim and arcade are distinctions based on the physics. What you are talking of is related to game design and has nothing to do with the genre.

Nope, I can't think of any arcade racer where races are divided into car classes and car types.

Full Auto 2

flashfire926 said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to add.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/07/onrush-driveclub-developer-evo-hit-with-layoffs/

"It appears that the minds behind recent racing titles Driveclub and OnRush have met their respective finish lines a bit earlier than expected after development house Evo was hit with a sizeable amount of layoffs. Multiple senior staff members, including Driveclub director Paul “Rushy” Rustchynsky, were reportedly let go as part of the downsizing efforts.

The move comes just over a month after the release of the studio’s most recent title, OnRush. The new take on the traditional racing genre was critically praised but found much less support from consumers. The game debuted poorly, selling just over 1000 physical units in the UK in its first week, and has remained absent from top sales charts following its launch."

Onrush sold 1000 copies in it's first week (debuting #34) in UK, which is a disastrous number for a territory that loves it's racing games. If that is not enough evidence of the demise of the arcade racing genre, here's more:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-02-crash-bandicoot-remake-overtakes-the-crew-2-to-score-eighth-uk-no-1

"The game's improved performance means that the big new entry this week had to be satisfied with second place. The Crew 2 by Ubisoft has so far failed to impress the critics, and the game's launch sales are less than 25% of what the original game achieved back in December 2014."

Yes it's only one territory, but the UK buys the most racing games out of any country, and if your game cant do well here, it cant do well anywhere else.

I love arcade racers. Last gen I bought a half dozen of them. The reason for the low sales of OnRush is that it looks like a last gen game. I'm sure if Call Of Duty put out a game in 2018 with last gen graphics it wouldn't sell well either.

Chris Hu said:
GOWTLOZ said:

NFS Hot Pursuit has car classes.

Simulation and arcade are distinctions based entirely on physics, car classes are just gameplay mechanics. They can't make arcady physics realistic.

Again just because Horizon has arcady physics doesn't make it a pure arcade racer.  Also all the Need For Speed games are much closer to being pure arcade racers then any of the Horizon games.

Need For Speed originally was an arcade racer. Nowadays they play more like a sim.

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
I really miss Midnight Club. I loved all those games and wish they’d revamp the series. Have never liked any other racer as much as I’ve liked that series.

I thought Midnight Club II was great. Midnight Club Los Angeles was such a disappointment it pretty much killed the series.

Meanwhile on mobile phones:

View on YouTube

I just want another Motorstorm. I loved Motorstorm: Pacific Rift.

Conina said:

Meanwhile on mobile phones:

View on YouTube

That looks awesome! IMO Asphalt 8 is a better game than the recent Need for Speed/The Crew games. Wish we could have this on console.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

ThatDreamcastTho said:
Chris Hu said:

Again just because Horizon has arcady physics doesn't make it a pure arcade racer.  Also all the Need For Speed games are much closer to being pure arcade racers then any of the Horizon games.

Need For Speed originally was an arcade racer. Nowadays they play more like a sim.

Need For Speed Payback has very acady physics when it comes to drifting I usually suck at drifting but I'm halfway decent in Need For Speed Payback.  That being said I doubt I will actually try to get the achievement for getting a 3 star rating in all the activities.