By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The lack of arcade racers is an eyesore.

I really miss Midnight Club. I loved all those games and wish they’d revamp the series. Have never liked any other racer as much as I’ve liked that series.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-21-criterion-founders-reveal-two-new-games

One of those two games is Dangerous Driving, which seems to be a spiritual burnout successor. From the article:

"Dangerous Driving, due out this winter, is a closed track competitive racing game featuring boosts, takedowns, destruction and massive car crashes - and it's this one that sounds most like a spiritual successor to Burnout.

"We're taking all that we've learnt to develop our most ambitious title to date," Ward said of Dangerous Driving. "Dangerous Driving gets me back to making arcade racing, the kind of software I am most passionate about.""

The other game, Danger Zone 2, is a burnout crash mode type game. The first one got middling reviews, so I hope this game is a significant improvement.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I miss arcade racers that aren't open world, like the pre-Underground Need for Speed games.

Chris Hu said:
GOWTLOZ said:

NFS Hot Pursuit has car classes.

Simulation and arcade are distinctions based entirely on physics, car classes are just gameplay mechanics. They can't make arcady physics realistic.

Again just because Horizon has arcady physics doesn't make it a pure arcade racer.  Also all the Need For Speed games are much closer to being pure arcade racers then any of the Horizon games.

It is a "pure" arcade racer, whatever that is really. A racer needs to follow the laws of physics to be simulation. While there is no racing game that follows all of them to a T there are some that follow most of them and the rest that follow few. Horizon is the second case.

GOWTLOZ said:
Chris Hu said:

Again just because Horizon has arcady physics doesn't make it a pure arcade racer.  Also all the Need For Speed games are much closer to being pure arcade racers then any of the Horizon games.

It is a "pure" arcade racer, whatever that is really. A racer needs to follow the laws of physics to be simulation. While there is no racing game that follows all of them to a T there are some that follow most of them and the rest that follow few. Horizon is the second case.

Well you are clueless about racing games then.  You can ask pretty much anybody that actually played any of the games and they can tell you that the Horizon games aren't pure arcade racers.  Also pretty much all arcade racers released lately aren't pure arcade racers.  Heck pretty much anybody that commented in this tread so far besides you would agree with me that the Horizon games aren't pure arcade racers. 

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Well you are clueless about racing games then.  You can ask pretty much anybody that actually played any of the games and they can tell you that the Horizon games aren't pure arcade racers.  Also pretty much all arcade racers released lately aren't pure arcade racers.  Heck pretty much anybody that commented in this tread so far besides you would agree with me that the Horizon games aren't pure arcade racers. 

What do you mean by actually played them? I have actually played them of course why I can comment on the matter.

You are full of hyperbole. Ask every one of the commentators here whether Horizon is arcade or sim. You'll be shocked.

Also you haven't given one concrete and well thought out opinion on why Horizon is simcade. No, segregation of cars into categories does not make a game realistic. Its not what draws people to simulation games. GT6 doesn't even have car classes per se. So is that less of a sim than Horizon 3? Lmao.

GOWTLOZ said:
Chris Hu said:

What do you mean by actually played them? I have actually played them of course why I can comment on the matter.

You are full of hyperbole. Ask every one of the commentators here whether Horizon is arcade or sim. You'll be shocked.

Also you haven't given one concrete and well thought out opinion on why Horizon is simcade. No, segregation of cars into categories does not make a game realistic. Its not what draws people to simulation games. GT6 doesn't even have car classes per se. So is that less of a sim than Horizon 3? Lmao.

I already named numerous features and options that make the Horizon games closer to being simcades then pure arcade racers.  But I guess you don't have a clue on what makes a pure arcade racer. 

I would love to see Sony bring back Twisted Metal, I know it isn't racing but the game series was extremly fun and something Sony is missing regarding arcade fun.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to add.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/07/onrush-driveclub-developer-evo-hit-with-layoffs/

"It appears that the minds behind recent racing titles Driveclub and OnRush have met their respective finish lines a bit earlier than expected after development house Evo was hit with a sizeable amount of layoffs. Multiple senior staff members, including Driveclub director Paul “Rushy” Rustchynsky, were reportedly let go as part of the downsizing efforts.

The move comes just over a month after the release of the studio’s most recent title, OnRush. The new take on the traditional racing genre was critically praised but found much less support from consumers. The game debuted poorly, selling just over 1000 physical units in the UK in its first week, and has remained absent from top sales charts following its launch."

Onrush sold 1000 copies in it's first week (debuting #34) in UK, which is a disastrous number for a territory that loves it's racing games. If that is not enough evidence of the demise of the arcade racing genre, here's more:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-02-crash-bandicoot-remake-overtakes-the-crew-2-to-score-eighth-uk-no-1

"The game's improved performance means that the big new entry this week had to be satisfied with second place. The Crew 2 by Ubisoft has so far failed to impress the critics, and the game's launch sales are less than 25% of what the original game achieved back in December 2014."

Yes it's only one territory, but the UK buys the most racing games out of any country, and if your game cant do well here, it cant do well anywhere else.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

dx11332sega said:
flashfire926 said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to add.

https://twinfinite.net/2018/07/onrush-driveclub-developer-evo-hit-with-layoffs/

"It appears that the minds behind recent racing titles Driveclub and OnRush have met their respective finish lines a bit earlier than expected after development house Evo was hit with a sizeable amount of layoffs. Multiple senior staff members, including Driveclub director Paul “Rushy” Rustchynsky, were reportedly let go as part of the downsizing efforts.

The move comes just over a month after the release of the studio’s most recent title, OnRush. The new take on the traditional racing genre was critically praised but found much less support from consumers. The game debuted poorly, selling just over 1000 physical units in the UK in its first week, and has remained absent from top sales charts following its launch."

Onrush sold 1000 copies in it's first week (debuting #34) in UK, which is a disastrous number for a territory that loves it's racing games. If that is not enough evidence of the demise of the arcade racing genre, here's more:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-02-crash-bandicoot-remake-overtakes-the-crew-2-to-score-eighth-uk-no-1

"The game's improved performance means that the big new entry this week had to be satisfied with second place. The Crew 2 by Ubisoft has so far failed to impress the critics, and the game's launch sales are less than 25% of what the original game achieved back in December 2014."

Yes it's only one territory, but the UK buys the most racing games out of any country, and if your game cant do well here, it cant do well anywhere else.

Ow wow sad news for Onrush devs can Nintendo afford to pick them up probably not? but Nintendo is the only company without realistic graphically racing game

Personally I think Playground Games or Sumo Digital would be a better fit, since they are both in the UK. These guys know terrain deformation (motorstorm), so they can help with Horizon. Or Sumo Digital (Team Sonic Racing), the other unrealistic graphic racing game. 

Bet with Intrinsic: