By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The lack of arcade racers is an eyesore.

Nymeria said:
Yerm said:
it looks like OnRush went right over people's heads.

Does it have couch co-op?

thats a good question actually... aaaand no it does not. 

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Chris Hu said:

The physics might be arcady but the overall game isn't a pure arcade racer.  It has tons of sim elements besides the tuning and upgrading like the races being held by classes and car types.  

There are plenty of arcady games that do that stuff.

Sim and arcade are distinctions based on the physics. What you are talking of is related to game design and has nothing to do with the genre.

Nope, I can't think of any arcade racer where races are divided into car classes and car types.

Yerm said:
Nymeria said:

Does it have couch co-op?

thats a good question actually... aaaand no it does not. 

Then I will pass, that's all I want from an arcade racer.

Chris Hu said:
GOWTLOZ said:

There are plenty of arcady games that do that stuff.

Sim and arcade are distinctions based on the physics. What you are talking of is related to game design and has nothing to do with the genre.

Nope, I can't think of any arcade racer where races are divided into car classes and car types.

NFS Hot Pursuit has car classes.

Simulation and arcade are distinctions based entirely on physics, car classes are just gameplay mechanics. They can't make arcady physics realistic.

GOWTLOZ said:
Chris Hu said:

Simulation and arcade are distinctions based entirely on physics, car classes are just gameplay mechanics. They can't make arcady physics realistic.

Again just because Horizon has arcady physics doesn't make it a pure arcade racer.  Also all the Need For Speed games are much closer to being pure arcade racers then any of the Horizon games.

Around the Network

I really miss Midnight Club. I loved all those games and wish they’d revamp the series. Have never liked any other racer as much as I’ve liked that series.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-21-criterion-founders-reveal-two-new-games

One of those two games is Dangerous Driving, which seems to be a spiritual burnout successor. From the article:

"Dangerous Driving, due out this winter, is a closed track competitive racing game featuring boosts, takedowns, destruction and massive car crashes - and it's this one that sounds most like a spiritual successor to Burnout.

"We're taking all that we've learnt to develop our most ambitious title to date," Ward said of Dangerous Driving. "Dangerous Driving gets me back to making arcade racing, the kind of software I am most passionate about.""

The other game, Danger Zone 2, is a burnout crash mode type game. The first one got middling reviews, so I hope this game is a significant improvement.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I miss arcade racers that aren't open world, like the pre-Underground Need for Speed games.

Chris Hu said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Again just because Horizon has arcady physics doesn't make it a pure arcade racer.  Also all the Need For Speed games are much closer to being pure arcade racers then any of the Horizon games.

It is a "pure" arcade racer, whatever that is really. A racer needs to follow the laws of physics to be simulation. While there is no racing game that follows all of them to a T there are some that follow most of them and the rest that follow few. Horizon is the second case.

GOWTLOZ said:
Chris Hu said:

It is a "pure" arcade racer, whatever that is really. A racer needs to follow the laws of physics to be simulation. While there is no racing game that follows all of them to a T there are some that follow most of them and the rest that follow few. Horizon is the second case.

Well you are clueless about racing games then.  You can ask pretty much anybody that actually played any of the games and they can tell you that the Horizon games aren't pure arcade racers.  Also pretty much all arcade racers released lately aren't pure arcade racers.  Heck pretty much anybody that commented in this tread so far besides you would agree with me that the Horizon games aren't pure arcade racers.